auto re-connection of a slip line if connection broken?

auto re-connection of a slip line if connection broken?

Post by pa5v.. » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm using dip and cslip to hook my machine to my ISP the system is up 24hrs
(or should be) My question is does anyone have a script or util that will
monitor the modem connection and redial if it fails?

Many thanks

Paul

Post by SHOD » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I'm using dip and cslip to hook my machine to my ISP the system is up 24hrs
: (or should be) My question is does anyone have a script or util that will
: monitor the modem connection and redial if it fails?

This is what I do.. I just do a background ping to my ISP all the time. Sure,
it takes up a small fraction of bandwidth, but it's a quick and dirty way
of getting rid of timeout errors.

$ ping -q isp.com &
(-q means quiet.. No status is displayed.)

--
--Dave

http://www.clark.net/pub/sventek

auto re-connection of a slip line if connection broken?

Post by pa5v.. » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> $ ping -q isp.com &
>> (-q means quiet.. No status is displayed.)

>If you are going to do this, let me say a word for us ISPs.  I don't mind
>if customers do this, as we charge by the hour.  ISPs who charge on a
>flat-rate take their chances, IMHO.

  I have a dedicated 24 hr connection our own domain etc etc ...

Quote:>Be sure that you ping your PPP server and not one of the main machines.
>A lot of our servers are overloaded, and the extra CPU cycles are needed,
>believe it or not, to answer your mail and process news.  Plus,
>gratuitous bandwidth consumption is uncool, so your PPP server is
>preferred, your mail server is uncool, and nic.ddn.mil is right out.

  Don't need to - wrote a perl script that monitors dip and reconnects if it
  drops - had a 28K sustained connection for over 48 Hrs!

Quote:>Also, preferrably you would write a little script which would ping x,
>sleep 3 min, and loop.  This is better for the machine that has to
>answer, better your your machine, and it makes those cute Netscape
>pictures come up a tad faster.

  Don't need it!

Post by Todd Graham Lewi » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> This is what I do.. I just do a background ping to my ISP all the time. Sure,
> it takes up a small fraction of bandwidth, but it's a quick and dirty way
> of getting rid of timeout errors.

> $ ping -q isp.com &
> (-q means quiet.. No status is displayed.)

If you are going to do this, let me say a word for us ISPs.  I don't mind
if customers do this, as we charge by the hour.  ISPs who charge on a
flat-rate take their chances, IMHO.

Be sure that you ping your PPP server and not one of the main machines.
A lot of our servers are overloaded, and the extra CPU cycles are needed,
believe it or not, to answer your mail and process news.  Plus,
gratuitous bandwidth consumption is uncool, so your PPP server is
preferred, your mail server is uncool, and nic.ddn.mil is right out.

Also, preferrably you would write a little script which would ping x,
sleep 3 min, and loop.  This is better for the machine that has to
answer, better your your machine, and it makes those cute Netscape
pictures come up a tad faster.

[Todd graciously yields his soapbox to the next preachy chump...]

Todd Lewis

1. PPP/SLIP connection from NT to SCO Unix through direct cable connection

We produce client/server software based on winsock using Win3.1/Win95/WinNT as client
and SCO Unix as server. The normal configuration uses network cards and LAN:s. In some
cases we would like to use direct serial cables between the PC COM port and the Unix serial
port still using Winsock i.e. using PPP/SLIP connections.
I remember some years ago testing this with FTP PC/TCP:s SLIP and our Unix-machine and it
worked quite well. Now the same need has occured again, to connect a WinNT4.0 or Win95 WS
to our Unix server, without any modem-equipment in between.
My first question is -  is it possible to do this.  I have been trying it for a while without getting
anywhere. On the SCOUnix side I tried both PPP and SLIP (the slip-configuration was much easier)
and on the NT side the corresponding settings.
On NT I used :
Dial using: DialUp Networking Serial Cable between to PC:s
Dial-Up server type: SLIP/Internet (also PPP/Internet)
- only TCP/IP protocol
- TCP/IP Setting (=address of Unixserver)
.
The Dial-command gives always Error 651...
I have not been able to ping, ftp or telnet in any direction. The dial-up monitor
shows an "User connecting" condition, when trying ping from the server side but thats all.

Is there any easy solution to this or any solution at all. What configuration details have I possibly
missed. Do anyone of you have a working intallation like this, or any examples how you did it.

Yours sincerely
Bengt Bredenberg
Oy Esmi Ab, Finland

2. Tecra 8100 - RAM detection

3. PPP connection works well ,while SLIP connection doesn't work,why and how?

4. I admit it - Linux CAN be cool upon occassion

5. Linux permanent Line (connection two linux machines over a leased line (permanent telephone line)

6. XFree864.2 cannot work on my FreeBSD?

7. Help: Connections lost after reconnecting from a broken SLIP session

8. sigsetjmp() - undefined symbol???

9. SLIP connection: nslookup works but command line addrs not resolved!?

10. SLIP Leased Line Connection Using Linux 2.0.0

11. line break and IFS

12. SLIP Connection to University SLIP Server: Need Help

13. Monitor pppd connection? Auto Redail?