Linux as dial-up ppp server for Win95 dial-up problem

Linux as dial-up ppp server for Win95 dial-up problem

Post by Sam Won » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

My Linux box is currently a server for dial-up ppp accounts.  However,
users of Win95 must either use a dial-up script or use a terminal
window to login.

They can't just use Win95's Network login window.  Why is that?  I guess
that is has to do with PAP.  Is there a way for me to fix this from the Linux
side so they don't have to use a dial-up script or a terminal window?

--

:

http://www.buoy.com/isp/mgetty.html

Post by Eric Kluf » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> My Linux box is currently a server for dial-up ppp accounts.  However,
> users of Win95 must either use a dial-up script or use a terminal
> window to login.

> They can't just use Win95's Network login window.  Why is that?  I guess
> that is has to do with PAP.  Is there a way for me to fix this from the Linux
> side so they don't have to use a dial-up script or a terminal window?

> --

I'm using mgetty 0.99 (which was beta when I got it). This has an option
which allows to check for ppp-packages. If it detects them you have the
possibility to startup pppd so you can handle authentication with PAP
(you don't use /bin/login).

Luck,

Eric.

Post by Ian Huntl » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> My Linux box is currently a server for dial-up ppp accounts.  However,
>> users of Win95 must either use a dial-up script or use a terminal
>> window to login.

>> They can't just use Win95's Network login window.  Why is that?  I guess
>> that is has to do with PAP.  Is there a way for me to fix this from the
Linux
>> side so they don't have to use a dial-up script or a terminal window?

>> --

We had the same problem here.  We found that a file called pap-secrets had to
contain the usernames of people using seamless dial-up networking with Win95

1. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

You are better off borrowing/buying/stealing a CD and loading a fresh 2.7
install.
From what I've heard, there are issues with upgrading via CVS.  Plus, it's
_SLOW_.
Trust me. If you don't have the cash (US $30, I believe) you could probably
ask
somebody to copy their 2.7 CD for you (hint,hint).  Of course, buying the CD
makes
OBSD 2.8 and higher a possibility, which is a Good Thing.

Good luck.

2. proxy repeater + script configuration file

3. dial-up ppp server for win95

4. How make klogd in sysklogd1.0 work right?

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. Swap space

7. Dial-up PPP Win95 -> Linux

8. speed question

9. Q>win95 -> Linux dial-up ppp connection?

10. Solaris dial-in ipd0 and Win95 default dial-up scp

11. HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

12. Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for Mobile Users

13. PPP problems with multiport dial-in/dial-out server