Serial port hung when PPP connection broke.

Serial port hung when PPP connection broke.

Post by Joe Condo » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have been using Linux for a couple of years now.  I currently run
level 1.3.2 (Slackware).  I have always been plagued with the serial
port sometimes getting hung after an unexpected phone hangup.  The only
way to get the port working again is to re-boot the system.  When I say
"hung", I mean that I can not use my regular script to connect again.
The script does not give any error, it just simply does nothing. I use
the following type of connect script:

pppd connect 'chat -v "" atdt5555555 CONNECT "" name: condon word:
password "gw>" "ppp default"' /dev/ttyS1 38400 noipdefault crtscts modem
defaultroute lcp-echo-interval 60

I currently use a 28.8 USR Sportster internal modem.  A friend of mine
with a very different configuration has also been plagued with this
problem over the past few years.  I suspect the "chat" program may be
the culpret but I am not sure.  Any suggestions on how to solve this
problem would be appreciated.

Regards,

Joe Condon

Post by Al Longye » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I have been using Linux for a couple of years now.  I currently run
>level 1.3.2 (Slackware).  I have always been plagued with the serial
>port sometimes getting hung after an unexpected phone hangup.  The only
>way to get the port working again is to re-boot the system.  When I say
>"hung", I mean that I can not use my regular script to connect again.
>The script does not give any error, it just simply does nothing. I use
>the following type of connect script:
>pppd connect 'chat -v "" atdt5555555 CONNECT "" name: condon word:
>password "gw>" "ppp default"' /dev/ttyS1 38400 noipdefault crtscts modem
>defaultroute lcp-echo-interval 60
>I currently use a 28.8 USR Sportster internal modem.  A friend of mine
>with a very different configuration has also been plagued with this
>problem over the past few years.
>I suspect the "chat" program may be the culpret but I am not sure.

What makes you think that? Did you look at the source to chat? It is part
of the pppd source package if you can't find the source.

Quote:>Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.

There is a problem with the 2.1.2 version of pppd. It will hang as you
indicate.

It is fixed in the 2.2.0f version.

Upgrade the pppd process. Since you are running an extremely old version
of the 1.3 kernel, the 'make kernel' process won't work properly. You may have
to go into the linux/kinstall.sh script and choose the 1.2.13 kernel path.

Then make sure that you tell the modem to present the DCD and honor
the DTR signals. This is usually done during the initialization
strings.

--

1. Network-Connection via Serial Port, PPP

Hi there !

I was trying to connect 2 Linux-machines over the serial port and be
able to network these to via TCP.
But for some reason, it did not function.
First I get the error : network is down, wenn I want to ifconfig ppp0,
but the right serial port is used , I think (ttyS01, which for some
reason is maped to ttyS2 - netconf only offers me the joice between
ttyS1 and ttyS2, and ttyS1 is the mouse)

The second problem is when I got frustrated and wanted to try plip0
instead, it told me, that the device does not exist (must I load some
module into the kernel ?) And how do I specify the IRQ and address to
work with plip0, because the defaults are not right for me.

thanks for everything.

Michael.

To complete,
my machines :   486PC with RH 6.0
                Amiga2000 with RH 5.2

2. Form to Mail Script Won't Mail

3. How do I run SLIP or PPP on a direct serial port connection (no modems) ??

4. Maximum Pseudo TTYs for Solaris 7

5. Serial Connection Initiating Dial out on Other Serial Port

6. clients - and well known ports

7. serial port connection with tip to a console port

8. Slowdown Apache for webpage debugging

9. Win98 direct serial PPP connection to Morningstar PPP

10. serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510

11. Serial port to serial port copying software

12. Upgrade from SuSE 6.1 to 6.2 broke my serial connection