COX (Hampton Roads, Va.) @HOME Network and Linux

Post by John Robert » Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi all

COX says that they only support 95/NT/Mac - well, it appears to be the case.
No matter what I do I can't get my Redhat 6.1 system to see the network.
Sure, it sees my NT box on my hub, and NT sees it (and reports an IP
conflict if I configure them the same).  Still, no luck pinging my
nameserver nor my gateway.

successfully using Linux on the network?  I'm wondering what COX can be
doing to not allow Linux/X systems on their wires...

IP- 24.6.111.204
SM- 255.255.255.0
GW - 24.6.111.1
NS- 24.2.48.34

ifconfig for eth0 reports everything on the up and up, but the network is
still unreachable.

Regards,

John

COX (Hampton Roads, Va.) @HOME Network and Linux

Post by Bill Jorda » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

tied to a MAC address, so when you switch the connection to another computer,
you have to cycle the power on the cable modem.

> Hi all

> COX says that they only support 95/NT/Mac - well, it appears to be the case.
> No matter what I do I can't get my Redhat 6.1 system to see the network.
> Sure, it sees my NT box on my hub, and NT sees it (and reports an IP
> conflict if I configure them the same).  Still, no luck pinging my
> nameserver nor my gateway.

> successfully using Linux on the network?  I'm wondering what COX can be
> doing to not allow Linux/X systems on their wires...

> IP- 24.6.111.204
> SM- 255.255.255.0
> GW - 24.6.111.1
> NS- 24.2.48.34

> ifconfig for eth0 reports everything on the up and up, but the network is
> still unreachable.

> Regards,

> John

TIDEWATER UNIX USER'S GROUP MEETING

Where:   InfiNet Building, 4th floor conference room
         See below for directions...

When:    Tuesday, June 3, 1997,  7:30PM

Discussion Topics:

*    This month Bill Roberts of InfiNet will provide an introduction to
     programming in Perl, with examples of typical (and some not so typ-
     ical) text processing and networking applications. Bill is cur-
     rently involved in some pretty hairy Perl programming in InfiNet's
     Network Engineering Division.

*    Of course, the usual hour or so of general UNIX talk and other
     stimulating conversation.

*    We need an owner for the TWUUG web site. I'll be asking for volun-
     teers at the meeting. The web site is hosted on a Linux machine
     running the latest Apache server. For now, you can see it at
     http://www.plankton.norfolk.va.us/twuug

*    For help or questions:

                     Directions to InfiNet Headquarters:

*    The InfiNet Building is at 740 Duke St., at the corner of Duke St.
     and Grace St. in downtown Norfolk

*    FROM 264: Get off onto Waterside Drive downtown.  Follow Waterside
     Drive past the Union Mission (on your right) and continue to Bram-
     bleton.  Make a left onto Brambleton and make your first right onto
     Duke St.  The InfiNet  building is on the corner of Duke and Grace
     Streets.  There is an entrance to the parking lot just before the
     building on Duke.  Park in any of the many InfiNet parking places.
     Go around the building to the front door and buzz for the fourth
     floor.  Come in and ride the elevator to the fourth.  Turn right
     and walk into sales.  They'll tell you where to go :-)

*    From Downtown Norfolk: From Brambleton, make a left onto Duke St.
     and see the paragraph above.

- --

2. Apache 1.3.12/ATG Dynamo 4.5.1/Solaris 7 - Compatible?

3. Road Runner and Linux with a home network

4. DOS like commands on UNIX machine.

5. network card setup cox@home.....

6. smbfs: caching problems

7. COX @Home network woes... cable modem ;-(

8. Need an ILS Server

9. network card setup? cox@home.

10. road runner -> home network/firewall help

11. Report on VA Linux Startx SP2/VA Linux 420 [longish]

12. Linux and Cox Cable Modem (@home)

13. experiences with Linux and Cox@Home