Loss of Internet connection locks NT workstation

Loss of Internet connection locks NT workstation

Post by Michael Bog » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 14:51:00

Caldera Linux server running SAMBA.  Windows NT workstation running
AutoCAD.  Connected to the internet via a router to a cable modem.  If
the internet connection goes down, and then we try to print, the
workstation will lock and eventually time out with a message about
"semaphores".  It will remain locked until the internet comes back at
which time everything starts working again.

Where do I start to troubleshoot this?

Mike

Loss of Internet connection locks NT workstation

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 18:49:44

Quote:> Caldera Linux server running SAMBA.  Windows NT workstation
> running
> AutoCAD.  Connected to the internet via a router to a cable modem.
>  If the internet connection goes down, and then we try to print,
> the workstation will lock and eventually time out with a message
> about
> "semaphores".

Isn't this expect, if you use quality sw from Redmond?

Honestly, I don't know how we can be helpfull here, what kind of
router, can you run somekind of sniffer (tcpdump/snoop) on the
device and see what's happening, case the internet connection goes
down.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:51:34

Quote:> Caldera Linux server running SAMBA.  Windows NT workstation running
> AutoCAD.  Connected to the internet via a router to a cable modem.  If
> the internet connection goes down, and then we try to print, the
> workstation will lock and eventually time out with a message about
> "semaphores".  It will remain locked until the internet comes back at
> which time everything starts working again.

> Where do I start to troubleshoot this?

Probably the infamous DNS lookup timeout.  Try removing all nameservers
from /etc/resolv.conf except when actually connected, or run your own DNS
with forward and reverse lookup zones for your LAN (do NOT forward-first).
Use listen-on option to limit access to loopback and private IP ranges.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored
http://www.nsscc.com/ - free driver school Friday nights in March

1. Odd loss of internet connection

System - OBSD 3.1, basically a clean install (ports tree installed, bitchx,
pine/pico and nmap)
Everytime i reboot the system (or run dhclient dc0) i get connection from
all my machines behind the firewall, then approximetly a minute later, i
lose that connection as if i lost my dhcp lease. My nat.conf is

nat on dc0 from 192.168.1.0/24 to any -> 68.60.*.* (hidden for security
reasons)
and my pf.conf is
pass in all
pass out all

Any ideas?

2. GPIB driver

3. Need NT to be Internet Dialup(Sygate 3) with a Linux Workstation

4. Color Attributes in FMLI

5. Network connection from AIX box to Windows NT workstation.

6. how to make a SAMBA-Domain visible on WIN/NT Workstations

7. X connection from NT workstation to an AIX box with an ASCII terminal console

8. comp.os.linux.setup

9. NT Workstation Connection

10. PPP Internet connection + LAN + manual dial-up from workstations

11. Microsoft 10 connection Limit on NT Workstation

12. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

13. Setting up OS5 for Internet dial-up workstation WITHOUT Internet Fast Start HOW ?