Anyone using IPX over PPP?

Post by Doug Kit » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Is anyone out there using IPX over PPP successfully? If so, would you share
your setup (so I'll know it can actually be done).

Or would anyone run a test and see if you get the same results I do?

My setup: Red Hat 5.0, kernel 2.0.31. PPP-2.3.3.

Problem: Even though ipx support is compiled into the kernel, (ipx utils
such as slist and ncpmount work) the very first entry pppd makes to the log
when it starts is that ipx support is not present in the kernel. PPP
compiled with the IPX_CHANGE=1 option, and no errors.

The Linux machines on both ends of the ppp link have the same setup, and are
both giving the same message in the log.

My ultimate goal is to connect a small remote lan back to the main site with
two Linux boxes routing ip and ipx over a ppp link.

Thank you.
Doug Kite

Anyone using IPX over PPP?

Post by Scott Gilbe » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Is anyone out there using IPX over PPP successfully? If so, would you share
>your setup (so I'll know it can actually be done).

>Or would anyone run a test and see if you get the same results I do?

>My setup: Red Hat 5.0, kernel 2.0.31. PPP-2.3.3.

>Problem: Even though ipx support is compiled into the kernel, (ipx utils
>such as slist and ncpmount work) the very first entry pppd makes to the log
>when it starts is that ipx support is not present in the kernel. PPP
>compiled with the IPX_CHANGE=1 option, and no errors.

>The Linux machines on both ends of the ppp link have the same setup, and are
>both giving the same message in the log.

>My ultimate goal is to connect a small remote lan back to the main site with
>two Linux boxes routing ip and ipx over a ppp link.

I'm not sure about the "IPX not supported in kernel" message.  Is it
possible that you recompiled your kernel, but are not actually running
the new kernel?

I found that I needed to run the ipxripd deamon to provide IPX
routing.  Its a no-brainer, you just compile it and run it - no
configuration required.

I never had any problems getting my linux box to act as a dial-in IPX
router.  I only monitor the news group occassionaly - If you have
other questions feel free to e-mail me.

Good Luck!!

Anyone using IPX over PPP?

Post by Steven M. Pal » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Problem: Even though ipx support is compiled into the kernel, (ipx utils
> such as slist and ncpmount work) the very first entry pppd makes to the log
> when it starts is that ipx support is not present in the kernel. PPP
> compiled with the IPX_CHANGE=1 option, and no errors.

I had that after I compiled a new kernel, and thought I was going crazy,
becauseit was working on an older kernel build.

It turns out that I had compiled it as a module on the new kernel, and obviously

the mechanism that pppd uses to check for it doesn't initiate a module load, so
I just ran '/sbin/modprobe ipx.o' in my startup process before the Ethernet card

is initialized and before any ppp activity takes place.  Now it works.

1. Anyone with IPX-PPP or IPX Tunnel experience?

I have a LAN with several Win95 PCs and one Linux machine. I am using
mgetty and pppd to set up the Linux machine as a dial-in server. I am
trying to connect a remote Win95 machine to the LAN through the Linux
box. I have been able to do so using straight TCP/IP, and could play
Quake over the dial-in modem. However, I want to be able to run IPX on
the remote machine and connect with other machines running IPX on our
LAN so that I can play games that support IPX protocol only.
Can anyone provide any assistance/scripts/whatever? I have not been able
to get the IPX over PPP set up yet.

Thanks,

Tim

--
The Mad Netter                   | 104 King St. South, Waterloo, ON
"Purveyors of Virtual Reality"   | Phone: (519)-886-1099

2. X11 and Banshe

3. IPX - Anyone using it?

4. how to setup proxy server

5. Anyone route IPX using linux pppd- Help this poor blabberin fool

6. Embedded Linux?

7. anyone have /etc/ppp/ipx-up ???

8. SATAN having a DNS problem

9. IPX over PPP / IPX routing

10. using IPX-PPP with Linux

11. ppp and login to netware using ipx

12. Mount of Novell 3.2 Server Volumes using IPX/NCP not possible using SuSE 8.2

13. PPP Questions (anyone using it?)