modprobe / module problem w/ network drivers (but network works)

modprobe / module problem w/ network drivers (but network works)

Post by D P » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm having a really confusing problem with modules and my network
drivers:

my logs are full of the following errors:

 modprobe: can't locate module lo:0
 modprobe: can't locate module eth0:0
 modprobe: can't locate module ppp0:0

(each is repeated in /var/log/messages 50 times, x:[0-49] )

the strange thing is that the modules (ppp, etc.) ARE loaded, and
working fine.

/sbin/modprobe -l -t net shows:

/lib/modules/2.2.7/net/dummy.o
/lib/modules/2.2.7/net/bsd_comp.o
/lib/modules/2.2.7/net/ppp_deflate.o
/lib/modules/2.2.7/net/slhc.o
/lib/modules/2.2.7/net/ppp.o

and, "/sbin/modprobe -c" shows, among other things,

alias ppp0 ppp
alias ppp1 ppp
alias scsi_hostadapter off
alias slip0 slip
alias slip1 slip
alias tty-ldisc-1 slip
alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Other modules are working fine, and the kernel is configured for modules
support.  I've done 'depmod -a', and even looked at the module def file
myself - it seems correct.

This is driving me crazy.

David

1. ewrk3 network driver doesn't work as module

Hi.

I am using RedHat 5.2 with a 2.0.36-3 kernel, on a machine with a
DEC Etherworks 3 network card (DE205-AC).  When I use a kernel with
the ewrk3 driver built-in, it works fine.  It automatically uses I/O
address 0x300, IRQ 11.  When I use a kernel with a modular driver, it
fails, giving messages like:
  eth0: transmit timed/locked out, status 002d, resetting.

Do I need to define some special parameters in /etc/conf.modules to
get this module to work?

Thanks for any advice,

--

Bob Moniot

Fordham College at Lincoln Center   URL:    http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/~moniot/
New York, NY  10023                 phone:  (212) 636-6311

2. Input w/2.5.3-dj3

3. Red Hat 8 Networking Loading Network Modules Problem

4. xvidtune

5. No networking without a driver, No driver without networking???

6. reinstall SUNWocf and related packages

7. After linux's network works, win XP's network cannot work ?

8. ustat core dump?

9. Strange problem, network doesn't work, networking stuff installed.

10. Strange network problem (network suddenly stops working) - partial solution

11. modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-21

12. Suse 8.1 network install - cannot load network card modules

13. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address