What's the right way to switch a system from DHCP client to static IP# ?

What's the right way to switch a system from DHCP client to static IP# ?

Post by Al Dyk » Sun, 15 May 2005 23:24:20

I've got a machine that was set up to get an ip from a dhcp server.
It seems that all I have to do is edit /etc/network/interfaces.

Is there anything else ?

Thanks

--

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Post by David Dorwar » Sun, 15 May 2005 23:50:29

> I've got a machine that was set up to get an ip from a dhcp server.
> It seems that all I have to do is edit /etc/network/interfaces.

> Is there anything else ?

Depends on your distro. It depends how the init scripts are set up, and
these can vary a lot.

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>
                     Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Post by James Knot » Mon, 16 May 2005 02:14:45

> I've got a machine that was set up to get an ip from a dhcp server.
> It seems that all I have to do is edit /etc/network/interfaces.

> Is there anything else ?

It might help, if you mentioned what distro you're running.

Post by Al Dyk » Mon, 16 May 2005 02:44:39

>> I've got a machine that was set up to get an ip from a dhcp server.
>> It seems that all I have to do is edit /etc/network/interfaces.

>> Is there anything else ?

>It might help, if you mentioned what distro you're running.

In this case it's a basic debian sarge install.

--

Post by Rolf Arne Schulz » Mon, 16 May 2005 03:21:09

>>> I've got a machine that was set up to get an ip from a dhcp server.
>>> It seems that all I have to do is edit /etc/network/interfaces.

>>> Is there anything else ?

>>It might help, if you mentioned what distro you're running.

> In this case it's a basic debian sarge install.

You probably have to put your nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf too. on
the form:

nameserver 123.123.123.123
nameserver 234.234.234.234

--
Rolf Arne Schulze
Trans-atlantic weightloss challenge: http://tawlc.net/

1. Help with switching Linux system from DHCP to Static IP

I have been working on setting up a test Linux FTP server for my company. I
started by setting up the system on the internal network with a DHCP
assigned IP address. I finally have the system how I want it. When I tried
to move the system outside our internal network and assign it a Static IP, I
am unable to get it to bind the Static IP to the ethernet card. The Linux OS
is Redhat 7.0.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

K. Wisner

2. cron did not run root jobs (solaris 2.5.1)

3. How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?

4. installing bootactv to boot DOS or w95 partition

5. Switching Solaris 8 from DHCP to static IP address

6. many IP's one computer

7. Can I Switch from Static IP to DHCP ?

8. Nasty NIC messages

9. Q: switching between DHCP and static IP

10. Newbie - Switch from DHCP to static IP

11. DHCP assign "static-IP" based on client hostname

12. going from static IP address to dhcp client firewall box