RedHat 4.0 -- How to disable all IPX?

Post by Carl Burk » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Our sysadmin recently installed RedHat v4.0, and it seemed to
run mostly OK (except for some lingering X problems).  However,
we got shut down by our corporate network admin because the IPX
processing (especially SAP broadcasts) were hosing all our other
Netware servers.  We won't get our hardware address reenabled
until we can turn off IPX, but we can't successfully run
'ipx_interface delall' if the network isn't connected.
How do we eliminate IPX?

My opinions are mine and mine alone, unless you
agree with them.  Then I'll share.
Beloved:  ...this is just the tip of the iceberg!
Merlynn:  ...and here comes the Titanic of reason.

RedHat 4.0 -- How to disable all IPX?

Post by James Youngm » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>How do we eliminate IPX?

conf.modules:

alias net-pf-4 off

(or it might be net-pf-5, the other is Apletalk).

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

Post by James Hall & Sara Roune » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Our sysadmin recently installed RedHat v4.0, and it seemed to
> run mostly OK (except for some lingering X problems).  However,
> we got shut down by our corporate network admin because the IPX
> processing (especially SAP broadcasts) were hosing all our other
> Netware servers.  We won't get our hardware address reenabled
> until we can turn off IPX, but we can't successfully run
> 'ipx_interface delall' if the network isn't connected.
> How do we eliminate IPX?

Well, I've never been in this situation ... but:

(1) You could try re-compiling your kernel, and just not include IPX
support.  Re-compiling the kernel is not as hard as some might think.
Just follow the README.

(2) You might try taking mars_nwe out of your boot.  As I understand
mars_nwe, this is configured to initialize the IPX interface.  If it
doesn't run, maybe you won't have an IPX problem.

Other ideas??
                -- Henry Spencer

RedHat 4.0 -- How to disable all IPX?

Post by Jim Freem » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Our sysadmin recently installed RedHat v4.0, and it seemed to
>run mostly OK (except for some lingering X problems).  However,
>we got shut down by our corporate network admin because the IPX
>processing (especially SAP broadcasts) were hosing all our other
>Netware servers.  We won't get our hardware address reenabled
>until we can turn off IPX, but we can't successfully run
>'ipx_interface delall' if the network isn't connected.
>How do we eliminate IPX?

Enabling IPX in the kernel does not enable SAP.  You have to be
running external software (such as ipxd, which does RIP/SAP, or
perhaps mars_nwe/linwared do some RIP/SAP).
--
Jim Freeman

Post by Carl Burk » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> > How do we eliminate IPX?

> Well, I've never been in this situation ... but:

> (1) You could try re-compiling your kernel, and just not include IPX
> support.  Re-compiling the kernel is not as hard as some might think.
> Just follow the README.

we're doing that now.

Quote:> (2) You might try taking mars_nwe out of your boot.  As I understand
> mars_nwe, this is configured to initialize the IPX interface.  If it
> doesn't run, maybe you won't have an IPX problem.

That didn't help; we tried it already.

My opinions are mine and mine alone, unless you
agree with them.  Then I'll share.
Beloved:  ...this is just the tip of the iceberg!
Merlynn:  ...and here comes the Titanic of reason.

RedHat 4.0 -- How to disable all IPX?

Post by Henrik Storn » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We won't get our hardware address reenabled
>until we can turn off IPX, but we can't successfully run
>'ipx_interface delall' if the network isn't connected.
>How do we eliminate IPX?

Recompile the kernel without IPX support included.

--

"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which
 failed to start because of the following error:

Post by Carl Burk » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >How do we eliminate IPX?
> Enabling IPX in the kernel does not enable SAP.  You have to be
> running external software (such as ipxd, which does RIP/SAP, or
> perhaps mars_nwe/linwared do some RIP/SAP).

Well, apparently one or both of those packages was automatically
installed and executed.  We reinstalled (again) and built a modular
kernal without IPX, so we're back on our intranet.  Now if we can
just get X or Metro-X to give us more than VGA16, we'll be in
business.  (It doesn't like our #9 card; refuses to see more than
512K out of the 4M installed on it.)

If only RedHat was as responsive as this newsgroup...

Post by Jim Freem » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> >How do we eliminate IPX?
>> Enabling IPX in the kernel does not enable SAP.  You have to be
>> running external software (such as ipxd, which does RIP/SAP, or
>> perhaps mars_nwe/linwared do some RIP/SAP).

>Well, apparently one or both of those packages was automatically
>installed and executed.  We reinstalled (again) and built a modular
>kernal without IPX, so we're back on our intranet.  ...

You should be able to disable any "active RIP/SAP agents"
(ipxd/mars/linware), have the IPX module loaded in the kernel,
and your machine will generate _no_ RIP/SAP traffic (but will
quiescently "learn" routing information, viewable via
`cat /proc/net/ipx_route`).

While using an NCP client (Caldera's or ncpfs), client RIP/SAPs
(requests only) will hit the wire, but no responses will (since

RIP/SAP responses/adverti*ts from un-managed nodes are the
only reasonable cause for MIS concern.
--
Jim Freeman

1. Dosemu0.60.3 - disable IPX to enable IPX !???

I've just started converting to ELF and thought this would be a good time to
see how dosemu was doing.  I grabbed the newest version I could find, and
with some difficulty (I didn't have SLang) got it compiled.

Previously I had to load ipx before netx after turning on ipxsupport in
dosemu.conf.  I did this again with 0.60.3 and got an IPX/SPX already loaded
from my ipx.  Fine, I thought, and loaded netx - which gave me a "Network
Server not found" error.

After turning ipxsupport off everything worked smoothly.  Stange that...

Any ideas?  Anyone else experience this?

l8r
mike

2. passwd

3. PPP, IPX and RedHat 4.0

4. CANON s500 usb printing on FreeBSD

5. -= NT 4.0 Server for RedHat 4.0 =-

6. server stops arbitrary

7. Disable IPX Routing NETBIOS Broadcast packets

8. lp security problem

9. HELP: How to disable logging of IPX collisions

10. RedHat upgrade top Redhat v.4.0 help- please??

11. IPX -> IP Tunnel = IPX over Intranet

12. Hardware: IPX: Network Collision (Help with turning off IPX)

13. IPX routing for multi-user games - IP works, IPX how?