NFS problem.

Post by Vi » Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:11:10

Hi everyone .
I m running a Solaris NFS server along with LINUX NIS server .
On the client side I ve all Linux machines (Fedora 2 n RH 7.2)
Normally things work fine but at times NFS server gets stuck n
following error msgs are displayed ->

nfs:server 10.6.5.27 OK
nfs:server 10.6.5.27 not responding, still trying
nfs:task 10725 cant get a request slot

n all processes trying to access user's nfs mounted files go in to
D(Disk I/O) status ..n I cant even kill them coz D status processes
are not in process queue the only option remains is either wait for
I/O or reboot comp.
any body faced the same problem ..pls put some fundaes.
Thanx
-- Vivek

NFS problem.

Post by Tim Seso » Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:02:46

> Hi everyone .
> I m running a Solaris NFS server along with LINUX NIS server .
> On the client side I ve all Linux machines (Fedora 2 n RH 7.2)
> Normally things work fine but at times NFS server gets stuck n
> following error msgs are displayed ->

> nfs:server 10.6.5.27 OK
> nfs:server 10.6.5.27 not responding, still trying
> nfs:task 10725 cant get a request slot

> n all processes trying to access user's nfs mounted files go in to
> D(Disk I/O) status ..n I cant even kill them coz D status processes
> are not in process queue the only option remains is either wait for
> I/O or reboot comp.
> any body faced the same problem ..pls put some fundaes.
> Thanx
> -- Vivek

Depending on the number of LINUX clients, you may need to increase
the thread count on the Solaris NFS server.  I have seen this type
of problem before at client sites where the default NFSD count was used.
The default is 1, which is VERY low.

You can set these by (from www.sun.com)

  Solaris 8 and prior
  -----------------------
  The script /etc/init.d/nfs.server sets the maximum number of nfsd
  server threads that can run at nce.

  For Solaris 9 and subsequent releases
  -------------------------------------
  The maximum number of nfsd server threads is configured using the
  parameter NFSD_SERVERS in the /etc/default/nfs file.Those threads are
created and destroyed dynamically. They each
consume 16K of kernel stack and most likely handle one NFS filesystem
block. They also run at a higher priority than the timeshare class.

Since the memory requirement is cheap and dynamic, there are no big
drawbacks to setting this value much higher on an NFS server
(a conservative nfsd thread value = num_of_cpus*128).

  For Solaris 8, edit /etc/init.d/nfs.server :
  /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd -a 1024

  For Solaris 9, edit /etc/default/nfs:
  NFSD_SERVERS=1024

Then kill and restart the daemon
  /etc/init.d/nfs.server stop
  /etc/init.d/nfs.server start

Notes :
  NFS server threads run at a high priority. With a really high number
  of threads they may potentially starve other non-NFS related work. In
  this case, Solaris 9 - Solaris Resource Manager (SRM) may be used
  to limit the CPU time allotted to NFS.

Tim Sesow

NFS problem.

Post by Vi » Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:25:25

Thanx a lot Tim for ur help ..Things r getting lot better.Thanx again :-)

> > Hi everyone .
> > I m running a Solaris NFS server along with LINUX NIS server .
> > On the client side I ve all Linux machines (Fedora 2 n RH 7.2)
> > Normally things work fine but at times NFS server gets stuck n
> > following error msgs are displayed ->

> > nfs:server 10.6.5.27 OK
> > nfs:server 10.6.5.27 not responding, still trying
> > nfs:task 10725 cant get a request slot

> > n all processes trying to access user's nfs mounted files go in to
> > D(Disk I/O) status ..n I cant even kill them coz D status processes
> > are not in process queue the only option remains is either wait for
> > I/O or reboot comp.
> > any body faced the same problem ..pls put some fundaes.
> > Thanx
> > -- Vivek

> Depending on the number of LINUX clients, you may need to increase
> the thread count on the Solaris NFS server.  I have seen this type
> of problem before at client sites where the default NFSD count was used.
> The default is 1, which is VERY low.

> You can set these by (from www.sun.com)

>   Solaris 8 and prior
>   -----------------------
>   The script /etc/init.d/nfs.server sets the maximum number of nfsd
>   server threads that can run at nce.

>   For Solaris 9 and subsequent releases
>   -------------------------------------
>   The maximum number of nfsd server threads is configured using the
>   parameter NFSD_SERVERS in the /etc/default/nfs file.Those threads are
> created and destroyed dynamically. They each
> consume 16K of kernel stack and most likely handle one NFS filesystem
> block. They also run at a higher priority than the timeshare class.

> Since the memory requirement is cheap and dynamic, there are no big
> drawbacks to setting this value much higher on an NFS server
> (a conservative nfsd thread value = num_of_cpus*128).

>   For Solaris 8, edit /etc/init.d/nfs.server :
>   /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd -a 1024

>   For Solaris 9, edit /etc/default/nfs:
>   NFSD_SERVERS=1024

> Then kill and restart the daemon
>   /etc/init.d/nfs.server stop
>   /etc/init.d/nfs.server start

> Notes :
>   NFS server threads run at a high priority. With a really high number
>   of threads they may potentially starve other non-NFS related work. In
>   this case, Solaris 9 - Solaris Resource Manager (SRM) may be used
>   to limit the CPU time allotted to NFS.

> Tim Sesow

1. NFS Problems... "Unknown NFS client"

Hi!

I have just installed Slackware 2.3 and I'm trying to use NFS
with a Sun.

I can mount drives on the Sun, but the Sun can't mount drives on my
Linux box. I have stripped the /etc/exports file to include only:

/usr/local    *.my.domain(ro)

Yet, I receive messages like this in the syslog on the Linux box:

mount[49]: Unknown NFS client 191.214.xxx.yyy tried to access /usr/local

I have DNS working, and I have tried to put the Sun in my /etc/hosts
file to no avail...

Anyone know what could be wrong?!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
   Fredrik Lindgren

2. No response on port 80 and 8080?

3. NFS problems with PC/TCP's NFS

4. new system to setup linux on... many probs...

5. NFS problem: NFS client hosed by windows machine?

6. Followup from:: Ever notice

7. NFS problem and swapping problem

8. HD partitioning.

9. NFS Problem