Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client help?

Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client help?

Post by GenaB » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Good morning!

I've been struggling with setting up my server and e-mail on two separate
machines.

Server configuration:
* Pentium 200 MHz, 4GB HD
* Linux Red Hat 5.1, kernel 2.0.35
* Installed all packages
* Able to send/receive mail a-OK while logged onto Linux box and using mail

Client:
* Windblows 98 or Macintosh OS 8.5
* Netscape Communicator v. 4.03 or later:
    Mail server user name: myname
    Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: machine.domain.net
    Incoming mail server: machine.domain.net
    Mail server type:  POP3, messages are kept locally

myname is a valid user ID on my server.  machine.domain.net corresponds to a
real machine installed in a real domain accessible by whois and with the
appropriate MX records, etc.  As I said, it works fine with the mail command.

ERRORS
======
When trying to read e-mail:
Dialog 1 -> Getting new messages:  Status: Connect: Contacting host:
machine.domain.net
Dialog 2 -> Superimposed on D1 -> An error occurred with the POP3 server.  You
should contact the
                                  system administrator for this server or try
again later.

When trying to send mail:
Dialog 1 -> An error occurred sending mail.  The mail server responded:

            we do not relay.  Please check the message recipients and try
again.

Please help?

Replies to this newsgroup and via e-mail will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Gena B.

Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client help?

Post by GenaB » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Update:

While logged on to the Linux box, I can send/receive mail using Navigator 4.5
Messenger without problems.

While logged through W98 I can send mail out but I can't see my e-mail yet.  I
get an error saying:

"Contact the server administrator or try again later."

Help!?

Thanks!

G.

1. Linux mail server - Netscape (W/Mac) client - help?

[...]

2. How about a C++ class lib for graphics?

3. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

4. Is there is an alternate for .NET?

5. SuSE Linux Intel Server with Mac Client - help!

6. tcsh: command run

7. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

8. How can I say that two IPs belong to the same router?

9. win95 client gets mail through linux machine from netware 3.xx mail server, POSSIBLE ?

10. mail client for windows with enhanced features running on a linux mail server?

11. ** Linux mail server and Solaris Client - help? **

12. Unix-Linux-OSF server and Mac client

13. How to configure a Linux server for NT, Mac and SCO Unix clients?