how do I install/run ssh

Post by Harry Philli » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

I have read over and over again to use ssh as it encrypt's sessions
unlike telnet which uses plain text to send user id and password.

I have a sly linux box running at work and some of the guys are trying
to hack it, they know more about linux but I have the root password,
it's been fun and a learning experience.

One of the guys run 'yes >.reallybigfile' which nearly filled the
partition until I removed the users rights to yes and killed his
process.

How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
can't sniff the password?

I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Punishe » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

Quote:> I have read over and over again to use ssh as it encrypt's sessions
> unlike telnet which uses plain text to send user id and password.

> I have a sly linux box running at work and some of the guys are trying
> to hack it, they know more about linux but I have the root password,
> it's been fun and a learning experience.

> One of the guys run 'yes >.reallybigfile' which nearly filled the
> partition until I removed the users rights to yes and killed his
> process.

> How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
> can't sniff the password?

> I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
> nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

Hello!

I'm using Slackware, but this should work perfectly on almost any
distribution.

*)  Get the SSH source here
http://www.veryComputer.com/

*)  Put the file above in a trash dir and do a ' tar -zxvf ssh-1.2.27.tar.gz
' .

*)  ' cd ' to the newly created dir and take a long look at the README and
INSTALL file for any special instructions for you.

*)  Issue a ' ./configure '

*)  Then a ' make '

*)  And last a ' make install '

Now it's all installed.

Try it out with a SSH client (supplied) on your box or perhaps from a Win32
box with this free SSH client
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Good luck!

/Punisher.

  **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ****

*** Newsfeeds.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
  http://www.veryComputer.com/???    |         http://www.veryComputer.com/

* Anonymous posting server!      | * Totally Uncensored!
* SUPER Servers!                 | * Over 80,000 Newsgroups!
* BINARIES ONLY Servers!         | * 16 seperate Newsgroup Servers!
* SPAM FILTERED Server!          | * Instant access!
* * ONLY Server!             | * Multiple OC 3's and OC 12's!
* MP3 ONLY Server!               | * 99% Article Completion!
* MULTIMEDIA ONLY Server!        | * Months of Retention!
* 7 UNCENSORED Newsgroup Servers | * Lightning FAST downloads!

  http://www.veryComputer.com/       |         http://www.veryComputer.com/
 ?      **** Point your newsreader to post.newsfeeds.com ****

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Bob Tenne » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

 >How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
 >can't sniff the password?
 >
 >I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
 >nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

Look for openssh rpms

openssh
openssh-clients
openssh-askpass
openssh-server

at http://www.openssh.com/ or elsewhere.

Install as usual, adjust the configuration files as you choose
(the defaults are "paranoid"), and enjoy.

Bob T.

how do I install/run ssh

Post by ?d?r?w?rm » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have read over and over again to use ssh as it encrypt's sessions
> unlike telnet which uses plain text to send user id and password.

> I have a sly linux box running at work and some of the guys are trying
> to hack it, they know more about linux but I have the root password,
> it's been fun and a learning experience.

> One of the guys run 'yes >.reallybigfile' which nearly filled the
> partition until I removed the users rights to yes and killed his
> process.

> How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
> can't sniff the password?

> I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
> nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

You need to aquire ssh from www.openssh.com  They have installation
instructions.

If possbile, connect your linux box on an ethernet segment with a switch
instead of a hub.  I think switches will defeat packet sniffers.

Why not block their IP address with ipchains and tcpwrappers.  read the
Sercurity HOWTO for information.  If you access your linux box from the
console and don't need to access it remotely, then set up tcpwrappers like
this:

        open with a text editor this file:
/etc/hosts.allow
        put this in the file:
ALL: LOCAL
        then open:
/etc/hosts.deny
        put this in:
ALL: ALL
        after that restart the inetd superserver with this command:
killall -HUP inetd

        you need to me root to do all of this.  This will deny remote access to
services like telnet and pop3 and what ever you have in /etc/inetd.conf

Several books have been written about linux firewalling.  You can buy one
or read the HOWTO's they are a great place to start.

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Matthew Palm » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Harry Phillips is of the opinion:

Quote:>I have a sly linux box running at work and some of the guys are trying
>to hack it, they know more about linux but I have the root password,
>it's been fun and a learning experience.

>One of the guys run 'yes >.reallybigfile' which nearly filled the
>partition until I removed the users rights to yes and killed his
>process.

Dozy sod.   Tell him to stop being a right wally.  You can also enforce
quotas on home directories if you want, to stop this sort of thing.

Quote:>How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
>can't sniff the password?

>I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
>nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

Find the package.

Install the package.

Run the package.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Harry Philli » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

>Harry Phillips is of the opinion:
>>I have a sly linux box running at work and some of the guys are trying
>>to hack it, they know more about linux but I have the root password,
>>it's been fun and a learning experience.

>>One of the guys run 'yes >.reallybigfile' which nearly filled the
>>partition until I removed the users rights to yes and killed his
>>process.

>Dozy sod.   Tell him to stop being a right wally.  You can also enforce
>quotas on home directories if you want, to stop this sort of thing.

I don't mind them trying to have a crack at it, it's not a production
server or anything, just a play toy that we are having fun with. It's
a bit of a game. When he thinks I could do with a lesson my box nearly
comes down. Nothing like experience than just my insulated box at
home.

quotas mmmm... I'll look into it.

Quote:

>>How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
>>can't sniff the password?

>>I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
>>nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

>Find the package.

Which one? What is it called?

Quote:

>Install the package.

I would if I knew which one

Quote:

>Run the package.

I hope to.

>--
>#include <disclaimer.h>
>Matthew Palmer

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Troy Jendr » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

APC ran two stories on ssh in March and April.  Check out those month's
links from this page.

http://apcmag.com/linux

Troy

Post by Harry Philli » Wed, 24 May 2000 04:00:00

> >How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
> >can't sniff the password?

> >I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
> >nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

>Look for openssh rpms

>openssh
>openssh-clients
>openssh-askpass
>openssh-server

>at http://www.openssh.com/ or elsewhere.

I went there and couldn't find a rpm package (I know I'm lazy but hey)

I found the ssh package at http://www.rpmfind.com

I have installed and started it, I can connect to it and it works
fine.

Now my question is how do you change the login prompt. I want to see
the login prompt that Mandrake gives you by default, what file does
the ssh server read to show you the prompt?

I know that telnet reads /etc/issue.net what does ssh read?

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Mark(un-MA » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

>I have read over and over again to use ssh as it encrypt's sessions
>unlike telnet which uses plain text to send user id and password.

Damn fine advice....

Quote:>I have a sly linux box running at work and some of the guys are trying
>to hack it, they know more about linux but I have the root password,
>it's been fun and a learning experience.

>One of the guys run 'yes >.reallybigfile' which nearly filled the

Bone up on disk quotas a bit. That way you'll be able to cut the *...

Quote:>partition until I removed the users rights to yes and killed his
>process.

Users who do that sort of thing get cut off at the neck where I work.
Vandalism, YES that's what it is, doesn't wash in the workplace.
Vandals have no business being able to access corporate resources.
Full stop.

Quote:>How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
>can't sniff the password?

WHat you need to do is to get the package, install it and then bone
up on it.

Quote:>I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
>nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

I think most of what you need to do is manual reading. Once the doco is understood,
or at least the relevant parts, the the rest _should_ fall into place.

--
Mark F...
unMASK for e-mail

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Harry Philli » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Users who do that sort of thing get cut off at the neck where I work.
>Vandalism, YES that's what it is, doesn't wash in the workplace.
>Vandals have no business being able to access corporate resources.
>Full stop.

It's not a production server or anything like that, we are both at the
help desk and wanted our own play toy, Network Services wouldn't give
us access to an account so we setup a linux box.

Quote:

>>How do I install and run ssh so that when I am admining the box they
>>can't sniff the password?

>WHat you need to do is to get the package, install it and then bone
>up on it.

I found the packages at www.rpmfind.com. I installed them and then
made it so that it doesn't accept telnet sessions.

Quote:

>>I tried 'man ssh' but because it isn't installed it came up with
>>nothing. I am running Mandrake 7.0.

>I think most of what you need to do is manual reading. Once the doco is understood,
>or at least the relevant parts, the the rest _should_ fall into place.

I read the minimum possible and now have ssh running on the server. I
use it to download large files from the internet because I am running
on an NT WS (says it all huh?) and often need files.
Quote:

>--
>Mark F...
>unMASK for e-mail

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Darren Tuck » Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:00:00

[snippage]

Quote:>If possbile, connect your linux box on an ethernet segment with a switch
>instead of a hub.  I think switches will defeat packet sniffers.

That's good advice but it won't stop all monitoring.

There are some active attacks (via ARP cache pollution) that will allow
monitoring of unencrypted conversations even on switched networks.

You send fake ARP messages to the hosts you wish to monitor to claiming to
be the other host. The hosts then forward their traffic to you, thinking
that you are the intended recipient. You pick out the traffic you want and
forward everything to the real recipient.

                -Daz.
--
Darren Tucker.          (dtucker at the domain zip dot com dot au)
A programmer is a device for converting caffeine into source code.

how do I install/run ssh

Post by Robie Bas » Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On 18 Jun 2000 00:24:19 +1000, Darren Tucker said:

>[snippage]
>>If possbile, connect your linux box on an ethernet segment with a switch
>>instead of a hub.  I think switches will defeat packet sniffers.

>That's good advice but it won't stop all monitoring.

>There are some active attacks (via ARP cache pollution) that will allow
>monitoring of unencrypted conversations even on switched networks.

>You send fake ARP messages to the hosts you wish to monitor to claiming to
>be the other host. The hosts then forward their traffic to you, thinking
>that you are the intended recipient. You pick out the traffic you want and
>forward everything to the real recipient.

And in that case, a switched network is worse, as the real recipient
doesn't see the messages duplicated and is thus _harder_ to detect.

Robie.
--

1. Dual booting DOS/NT & Installing Linux on PC running NT,

Dear NT Users:

       I want to install RedHat Linux on my Gateway (180Mhz, 32 MB RAM,
3.8 Gig HD ,
also running NT 4.0), and am in the process of reading the installation
chapter
of the SAMS RedHat manual.
       The section on floppyless installation sez to not run floppyless
installation
from inside a Windows session. After trying to figure out how to boot
the machine
into a pure DOS-mode and coming up blank, I tried to install from the
MS-DOS window
while running NT just to see what would happen.  At one point it said...

    .... need pure 386/486 real mode or a VCPI server to boot Linux....

...which I interpret to mean that it doesn't want NT running during the
install process, just what the manual implies. Problem is that I can't
figure
out how to configure my NT to dual boot into either NT or DOS.
 I went out and bought QUE's NT manual, and from what I can determine,
(hope I'm mistaken) it seems to be saying that I have to re-install NT
and specify
dual operating systems from the start. Is this correct, or is there some
way I
configure for dual booting without completely re-loading NT?
    Also, if someone out there has experience in installing Linux on a
PC
and running NT and Linux side-by-side, I'd appreciate hearing from them
too. I'm
particularly concerned about installing Linux without disrupting NT. My
D:
drive is completely empty and I was anticipating installing Linux on D:
so that never the twain shall meet, etc.

Steve Mauget

 # Steve Mauget             USDA/ARS Rt. 3, Box 215       #
 # (W)806-746-5353        Lubbock, Tx, 79401-9750         #
 # (H)806-795-5903
#

2. One more try: trailing backslash issue with NCSA 1.4 on Linux

3. can ssh-agent work between ssh-2.3 and ssh-3.5

4. uadmin

5. question in using ssh(what I done wrong)

6. how to change the route destination and mask?

7. Screwed tcp sequence numbers, doing ssh through Cisco PIX

8. hsfs Problem with MSDN CDROMs

10. HOw to install Linux with WinNT & Dos pre-installed.

11. HELP: Installing FreeBSD from DOS partition -- Installer can't find the install files

12. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

13. Problems installing by CDROM/Problems installing by DOS partition