Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

Post by Pascal Hambour » Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:47:44

Hello,

iceman a crit :

Quote:

> Can anyone please tell me the command for assigning IPv6 address and
> mac address on a interface.

man ifconfig
man 8 ip

Quote:> I tried
> ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:0db8:0:f101::1/64
> It didnt work

Please can you elaborate ? How do you see it does not work ?

Quote:> Is the command correct.?

Yes, it works for me. You can also assign an IPv6 address with the 'ip'
command from the iproute/iproute2 package :

ip -6 address add 2001:0db8:0:f101::1/64 dev eth0

Note that the 2001:0db8::/32 range is to be used for documentation
purpose only. If you do not have a global prefix you can create and use
a prefix in the unique local address range (ULA, cf. RFC 4193). A
generator is available at <http://www.kame.net/~suz/gen-ula.html>.

Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

Post by Bill Marcu » Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:00:24

Quote:

> Hi,
> I got the error
> "No support for INET6 on this system."

> Thats why I was wondering if the command was wrong
> Cheers

What distribution are you running? RH9 or older?

Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

Post by Pascal Hambour » Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:34:55

iceman a crit :

Quote:> I got the error
> "No support for INET6 on this system."

It seems that the kernel or maybe the glibc lacks IPv6 support. What is
the distribution (name and version) ?
Maybe the ipv6 kernel module was not loaded. Try to manually load it
with the following command :

modprobe ipv6

Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

Post by Pascal Hambour » Sat, 16 Feb 2008 09:03:04

iceman a crit :

Quote:> I tried out
> modprobe ipv6

> I get the error

> FATAL: Module ipv6 not found

What is the output of
grep CONFIG_IPV6 /boot/config-$(uname -r)
or
zgrep CONFIG_IPV6 /proc/config.gz

You did not answer about the distribution name and version.

Command for assigning IPv6 address and MAC address on the interface

Post by D. Stuss » Wed, 05 Mar 2008 05:51:02

Quote:> I got the error "No support for INET6 on this system."

> Thats why I was wondering if the command was wrong

Your problem is that you don't have IPv6 support.  Make certain that it is
compiled into your kernel AND into net-tools.

1. MAC address of an IPv6 address

Hi All,

I am writing a program that tests the health of a NIC card. I am
creating a NDD socket (Data Link Access) which I will use to send ICMP
ECHO packets to a given host. This means that my application has to
build the entire packet and I have to create and add the IP/IPv6,
ICMP/
6, and MAC headers in my application. I got things to work for IP, but
I am stuck with IPv6:

1) How do I find the MAC address for an IPv6 remote host? For IP, I
use the SIOCGARP ioctl and get the MAC adress from the ARP cache. But
IPv6 does not use ARP. there is something called neighbor discovery
for IPv6, but I could not find any programatic interface to use it ..

2) How do I do a broadcast ping in IPv6? In v4, I just put the
broadcast address in the destination addr fiend of the IP header and
things worked, but what do I do for v6?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jigs

2. Offline News Reader

3. Implementing a IPv6 network with dynamically assigned static IPv6 addresses.

4. raid5 disk limit

5. dhcp-server: assign fixed address to clients within MAC address range

6. Oops immediately following dbench 192 on 2.5.3

7. assign fixed address to clients with MAC address range

8. LILO Woes

9. How assign MAC address to logical interface hme0:1?

10. How to map IPv6-address to IPv4-address with Linux

11. Determine IP address assigned to MAC

12. Assigning IP Range via First Half of MAC ( hardware ) Address

13. dhcpd assigned w/o mac address