What do I need to do to make a Linux system server TCP/IP?

What do I need to do to make a Linux system server TCP/IP?

Post by Gna » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I want to use my existing Linux system to do the following:
Provide TCP/IP to a Mac and a Win95 Machine on an internal basis (i.e. ftp
      sunsite.unc.edu wouldn't work)
Provide TCP/IP to a Mac and a Win95 machine with external access when
      connected to my PPP account (supposing I can get multiple IPs from
the
      admin)
Provide the same two cases above except instead of a 95 machine it would
be a
      Linux system (going to make it a dual boot system)
Also I would like a minimal install on the 95/Linux system by servering
most of
      files (X, most of /usr, etc...) from my system.

Can anyone tell me what would be involved in doing this/is it possible and
what hardware I would need.

Thanks,
Dave

"If you think for one minute that I am going to stand around
and watch Pablo Picaso take on the public transport system
you've got another think coming.
I'll be back in a couple of hours with the calvery."
                                           --Prisilla, Queen of the Desert

Post by Dream Machin » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I want to use my existing Linux system to do the following:
> Provide TCP/IP to a Mac and a Win95 Machine on an internal basis (i.e. ftp
>       sunsite.unc.edu wouldn't work)
> Provide TCP/IP to a Mac and a Win95 machine with external access when
>       connected to my PPP account (supposing I can get multiple IPs from
> the
>       admin)
> Provide the same two cases above except instead of a 95 machine it would
> be a
>       Linux system (going to make it a dual boot system)

The above is no problem at all.  I set up a Linux box at work that
serves about 10 Win95 machines over an ethernet LAN, and has a
dial-on-demand ISDN/PPP connection that any of the Win95 boxes can
access.  Should be able to grab the networking stuff(and the
FAQs/HOWTOs) from sunsite or one of its mirrors, and all the
documentation you need should be in there.

Quote:> Also I would like a minimal install on the 95/Linux system by servering
> most of files (X, most of /usr, etc...) from my system.
> I'm afraid that's the one thing I haven't been able to get working.  By

all accounts, all you need to do is use smbfs(available from
sunsite.unc.edu as well, I believe), and use it to mount the Win95
shares from the Linux side.  But the smbfs package just doesn't want to
compile with my setup.  (If you figure it out, please drop me a note)

Quote:> Can anyone tell me what would be involved in doing this/is it possible and
> what hardware I would need.

Should only need an extra ethernet card, and a package called Samba(to
server Linux directories as Win95 shares).

                                    Dream Machine

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. SGI fam service vulnerability

3. DOS boot disk for TCP/IP connections to SAMBA server

4. Questions about Old PC resurection w/Linux.

5. Dos ->TCP/IP-> Linux-machine

6. AudioPCI + RealPlayer (ALSA is great)

7. customization of telnet login / hd sharing b/w dos and linux over tcp/ip

8. newbie apache/linux question re: virtualhost

9. Problem with Linux <-> DOS TCP/IP

10. HELP FINDING DOS TCP/IP Drivers for Linux hosted net

11. DOS / Linux TCP/IP Weirdness

12. Confused: TCP/IP[DOS<-->Linux]

13. DOS TCP/IP to Linux