Help plz: howto make linux register its hostname with a windows NT DNS server

Help plz: howto make linux register its hostname with a windows NT DNS server

Post by <;ashkd/q143asdf » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:37:48

How do I setup linux to register itself with a windows nt DNS server.
The goal here is I want to ping/telnet/ftp to the box by NAME and not by IP,
and its not feasible to modify the hosts file of everyone who wants to
connect to the box.

My linux box can ping any machine by ip or name.
Any windows box can ping the linux box by ip but NOT by name.

Help plz: howto make linux register its hostname with a windows NT DNS server

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:16:20

Hi!,

Quote:> How do I setup linux to register itself with a windows nt DNS server.
> The goal here is I want to ping/telnet/ftp to the box by NAME and not by
> IP, and its not feasible to modify the hosts file of everyone who wants to
> connect to the box.

> My linux box can ping any machine by ip or name.
> Any windows box can ping the linux box by ip but NOT by name.

You may want to make sure that your Linux box is running samba and that the
smbd and nmbd daemons are running, allowing your system to look and feel as if
it is part of the Windows networking.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Register cisco router hostname in windows 2003 server DNS record

I've been able to lookup dns names with domain-name and name-server
just fine, but when i checked the DNS records on the server i didn't
see the ip of the router. Is there a way that i can make the router
work as a workstation as far as DNS is concerned, so that it publicises
the hostname or any other string of my choice at the dns server?

Thanks alot for any help and thought,
Michael

2. Defining what drive FreeBSD boots off of.

3. Howto or Mini Howto - to replace your Windows NT server

4. How much cache needed for 128 MB memory?

5. NT dns server request to my LINUX dns server time out

6. root/boot disk errors

7. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

8. linuxconf??

9. Making Linux read a Windows/NT server drive

10. NT Server, Unix DNS, NT Clients...HELP!!!!!!

11. plz plz plz help.

12. Register this hostname to a dynamic DNS system, how?

13. Register linux host with static IP dynamically in Windows DNS