Broadcast across subnets

Post by Julian Tibbl » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi

I use linux as a router connected to two subnets - 192.168.69.0 and
192.168.70.0

How do I forward broadcast messages between subnets?
Can 'ipchains' be used?

Thanks in advance,

Julian Tibble

Broadcast across subnets

Post by Linux New » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Broadcast is not routable between subnets.

Quote:> Hi

> I use linux as a router connected to two subnets - 192.168.69.0 and
> 192.168.70.0

> How do I forward broadcast messages between subnets?
> Can 'ipchains' be used?

> Thanks in advance,

> Julian Tibble

Broadcast across subnets

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Hi
>I use linux as a router connected to two subnets - 192.168.69.0 and
>192.168.70.0

Good.

Quote:>How do I forward broadcast messages between subnets?

[...]

You don't. Broadcasts will not be forwarded across subnets at all.
If you want to share resources amongst Win* machines, setup a SAMBA
server as WINS server.

Michael

Broadcast across subnets

Post by Miguel Cr » Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I use linux as a router connected to two subnets - 192.168.69.0 and
> 192.168.70.0

> How do I forward broadcast messages between subnets?
> Can 'ipchains' be used?

The reason that you set up two subnets was to prevent broadcast messages
from passing between them.

If you don't like that, then make them one subnet (a netmask of
255.255.254.0 would accomodate the same number of hosts as your current two
subnets).

miguel

1. broadcast across subnets

Redhat 7.2 with 2 ethernet cards running as dhcp server and router on
both interfaces.

PC1 - 192.168.2.2/24

eth0 - 192.168.2.1/24
eth1 - 192.168.3.1/24

PC2 - 192.168.3.2/24

So here's my problem. If I'm running a game server on PC1, why can't
PC2 see anything in the other network? Do I need to enable a static
route or something?

Network integrity as far as pings work all across the board. I just
can't seem to find any servers when I do a search.

When PC2 queries the network, from what I understand, it does a UDP
blast to the network to see if anyone responds.  No one on his/her
subnet responds, and no servers are found.  How can I expand this
scope to go over to the 192.168.2.x network?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

michael

2. FAT32 files missing, written from LINUX

3. mIRC's Identd broadcast across subnet

4. cant do reverse DNS lookups outside local

5. Broadcasting WHO info across my lan, why?

6. Solaris 5.3 tty question

7. URGENT: Can Sparc C++ compiler license service go across subnet work?

8. mod_rewrite regexp problem

9. Cable Modem: Routing across subnets?

10. Hopping across subnets

11. NIS across subnets

12. What packages to get netbios packets across subnets?

13. vpn across subnet