talk

Post by Jon Snyde » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm running a linux server, and all is going well, except that talk will
not initiate connections.  If I log on from another server and talk to
someone at mine, they will see the talk request, but if they try to
answer the request, they see a "Cannot bind to control socket : cannot
assign requested address (99)" message.  The problem must be in talk and
not talkd,  but I've looked at the source and it seems as if the bind
call is failing.  Everything else on this server works:  email, FTP,
HTTP, telnet, etc.  What is happening?  I'm running 1.3.56 kernel, but
I've booted to a 1.2.13 and the problem persists.  I have an NE2000
compatable ethernet card, a 10BaseT ethernet connection, on a 486 DX33
with 12 MB of RAM and an 800 MB hdd.  What gives?  Oh, and I have a
from-scratch installation of Slackware 3.0.0.

talk

Post by Phillip Rotherh » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I'm running a linux server, and all is going well, except that talk will
: not initiate connections.  If I log on from another server and talk to
: someone at mine, they will see the talk request, but if they try to
: answer the request, they see a "Cannot bind to control socket : cannot
: assign requested address (99)" message.  The problem must be in talk and
: not talkd,  but I've looked at the source and it seems as if the bind
: call is failing.

All of my talk problems were solved (esp. with Sun OS's) when I installed
the to-talk program.  Look for it in

/pub/Linux/system/Network/chat/to-talk-1.1.bin.tar.gz
/pub/Linux/system/Network/chat/to-talk-1.1.src.tar.gz

on sunsite or a mirror.

pfelipe

1. Slackware 1.1.2 talk(1) won't talk to Suns (explain talkd)

With Slackware 1.1.2, this seems to not work.  I cannot remember
if it used to work.

Apparently, talk for BSD 4.2/3 are not compatible.  I don't know
which the Suns have.

I get an error about some refused connection from daemon (111).
What's with the ntalkd and talkd?  They are links.  Does the file
behave differently when invoked differently?

Thanks.

-Clint
--
Clint Olsen
University of Washington

2. Anyone Compile PERL 5.003 for LINUX successfully?

3. talk daemon? - Why talk don't work?

4. video for linux

5. 'Talk' can't talk on Freebsd 4.4?

6. gnome not starting for root

7. talk wouldn't let me talk!

8. Wierd XWindows Problem With A50

9. `talk' to talk to Sun

10. talk: Error on read from talk daemon

11. "talk"/"ytalk" to Sun Solaris and AIX talk daemon

12. talk: Target machine is too confused to talk to us

13. talk won't talk