telnet security

Post by Colegate Spin » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Is there a way to have accounts under linux that can not telnet into the linux
system.  I am setting up a linux box to do pop mail but do not want the users
to be able to telnet into the server. In BSD Unix, there is a file
access.control that is used to do this, but I have found no such similar file
in linux. thanks...

telnet security

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Sat, 04 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Is there a way to have accounts under linux that can not telnet into the linux
>system.

Don't give them an interactive shell.

Quote:> I am setting up a linux box to do pop mail but do not want the users
>to be able to telnet into the server. In BSD Unix, there is a file
>access.control that is used to do this, but I have found no such similar file
>in linux. thanks...

"man 5 hosts_access" may help but it is address based not account based.

telnet security

Post by Edward Schlunde » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Is there a way to have accounts under linux that can not telnet into the linux
> system.  I am setting up a linux box to do pop mail but do not want the users
> to be able to telnet into the server. In BSD Unix, there is a file

        You could just edit the /etc/passwd file so that the login shell
defaults to /dev/null or maybe just 'less sorry.txt' so the users can't
login via telnet.

--
Ed Schlunder [I can levitate birds, but no one seems to care]

telnet security

Post by terry jone » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > Is there a way to have accounts under linux that can not telnet into the linux
> > system.  I am setting up a linux box to do pop mail but do not want the users
> > to be able to telnet into the server. In BSD Unix, there is a file

> You could just edit the /etc/passwd file so that the login shell
> defaults to /dev/null or maybe just 'less sorry.txt' so the users can't
> login via telnet.

'less sorry.txt'

is a very bad recommendation. Less will happily throw you a shell if
you type ! and hit return.

Put something like this into /bin/no-login

#!/bin/sh
exec /bin/cat <<EOT

           You cannot log in to this account.

EOT

exit 0

The exit 0 should never be reached, but you never know your luck.

1. Telnet Security

I want to disable certain users from telneting into a
RedHat Linux 5.1 machine altogether, is this possible?
Actually disabling certain users from using ftp, rsh,
rlogin, and anything else would be cool too.

--
Bryan Stevenson
BMH Associates, Inc.

2. 2.4.19-pre6 standardize {aic7xxx,aicasm}/Makefile

3. telnet security

4. Little help for Linux student and video card driver find-unpack-install with RH 7 1 please

5. Telnet security

6. IBM Thinkpad 700c

7. Telnet security...

8. add user automatically to the passwd file with a Perl Script

9. Telnet security

10. telnet security

11. Telnet security