Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by MGKind » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am struggling to enable Telnet into my new RH5.1 box. The remote host (s)
connect OK - I get the /etc/issue banner but I don't get the prompt to login:
I can FTP into the box OK.

Everything *appears* to be Ok ( I have just converted from Slackware to RH and
I could telnet OK before).

/etc/inetd seems OK.
I am unsure about security in /etc/pam?

Any suggestions please?

Martyn

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by MGKind » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Thanks to responders so far;

- 1 No, I'm not logging in as root - I can't get as far as a login prompt

- 2 DNS/DHCP - possible - however the telnet connection times out before the
login prompt appears.

- 3 /etc/inetd.conf. The telnet line is not disabled (#'ed) - however, I'll
check the exact contents when I get home tonight.

One other thought - is there a Telnet Daemon? If so what is it called and how
is it started? Or is all part of the inetd daemon?

Thanks for the help so far

Regards

Martyn

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by Riot » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Did you add lines for all your computers in /etc/hosts?

Quote:>Thanks to responders so far;

Post by Martyn Kinde » Wed, 29 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Did you add lines for all your computers in /etc/hosts?

Sadly....Yes I did.
and just to confound it even more, I am running Samba quite happily from
this win95 desktop through to this Linux server!

Martyn

>>Thanks to responders so far;

>>- 1 No, I'm not logging in as root - I can't get as far as a login prompt

>>- 2 DNS/DHCP - possible - however the telnet connection times out before
>the
>>login prompt appears.

>>- 3 /etc/inetd.conf. The telnet line is not disabled (#'ed) - however,
I'll
>>check the exact contents when I get home tonight.

>>One other thought - is there a Telnet Daemon? If so what is it called and
>how
>>is it started? Or is all part of the inetd daemon?

>>Thanks for the help so far

>>Regards

>>Martyn

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by MGKind » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Just a bit more...

I've disbled DHCP (wasn't using it anyway) - this made no difference.

I can Telnet into itself - the server is calles blue and blue has an entry in
/etc/hosts

telnet blue   provides me with a login prompt.

still looking for the miracle cure.

Martyn

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by Martyn Kinde » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Even more....
If I remove the client host from the server /etc/hosts list, then

bingo

I can log in - although the login process is very slllllowww.
But it works and once connected everything seems OK.

Surely this *must* be a bug. Any other RH5.1 users like to try this and
confirm please.

Martyn

Quote:>Just a bit more...

Post by Michael A. Smi » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Well I am also having this problem.  And cannot seem to find a solution.  So
>if you find one let me know.

>>I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm having the exact same problem. inetd is
>>calling in.telnetd, and somehow being authenticated through PAM. My current
>>thinking is that PAM is where the problem is, but I haven't been able to
>track
>>it down.

Try adding the machine name and ip number to the hosts file fo the
machine which is not letting you in. I have a feeling it is trying to do
a reverse name to ip number lookup.

HTH
/Mike

--
Michael A. Smith
"The future has already arrived; it's just not evenly distributed yet."

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by Michael A. Smi » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>>>I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm having the exact same problem. inetd is
>>>calling in.telnetd, and somehow being authenticated through PAM. My current
>>>thinking is that PAM is where the problem is, but I haven't been able to
>>track
>>>it down.

>Try adding the machine name and ip number to the hosts file fo the

I should have said more clearly to "edit /etc/hosts on the machine that
you are trying to telnet to and add the machine name and ip number of
the machine you are tryng to telnet from."

Quote:>machine which is not letting you in. I have a feeling it is trying to do

Post by Dribse » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Well I am also having this problem.  And cannot seem to find a solution.  So
if you find one let me know.

Quote:>I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm having the exact same problem. inetd is
>calling in.telnetd, and somehow being authenticated through PAM. My current
>thinking is that PAM is where the problem is, but I haven't been able to
track
>it down.

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by Dribse » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Maybe it is but all so far with the problem have already put the required in
/etc/hosts

We can FTP fine but telnet just gives us the banner and no login and then
times out after the set time.

Quote:>I should have said more clearly to "edit /etc/hosts on the machine that
>you are trying to telnet to and add the machine name and ip number of
>the machine you are tryng to telnet from."

>>machine which is not letting you in. I have a feeling it is trying to do
>>a reverse name to ip number lookup.

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by MGKind » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

More Info.

If I *remove* the client name from the server /etc/hosts file then telnet works
fine from the client - whether it be windoze or linux!!!! To telnet out from
the server, then you have to telnet the ip address not the hostname.

I've tried various combinations of entries in /etc/hosts.allow - but it makes
no difference - the only way to get access is by deleting the client name from
/etc/hosts.

However, the login process is very slllooowww - about 1 minute for the
connection to be made (something timing out)  but once logged in then
everything seems OK.

Can someone confirm that Telnet actually works as we believe it should - the
amount of personal e-mail I've recived (please tell me the answer when you find
it type e-mails) implies that there may be a bug here somewhere.

Cheers

Martyn
Has anybody managed

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by Michael A. Smi » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Can someone confirm that Telnet actually works as we believe it should - the
>amount of personal e-mail I've recived (please tell me the answer when you find
>it type e-mails) implies that there may be a bug here somewhere.

In my /etc/hosts.allow I have
    all: 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0
try something like that.

/mike

--

"The future has already arrived; it's just not evenly distributed yet."
        - William Gibson

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by Dribse » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have discovered my problem.  When RH5.1 is set up and you type in the
static IP it fills in a box for DNS server.  This is where the problem lies.
I did not set up a DNS server instead I just use the /etc/hosts file as it
is a small network.  So there are two solutions.  Setup a DNS server (which
is funny as mine comes with bind4 and the howto is for bind8) or just run
network config and remove the ip address for the DNS entry.  Works perfect
now.

Quote:>connect OK - I get the /etc/issue banner but I don't get the prompt to
login:
>I can FTP into the box OK.

>Everything *appears* to be Ok ( I have just converted from Slackware to RH
and
>I could telnet OK before).

Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box

Post by kurt » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> In my /etc/hosts.allow I have
>     all: 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0
> try something like that.

If the man page is accurate, all checking is disabled by deleting both the
hosts.allow and hosts.deny.    That is something to try. -kurt

1. Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Hi,
I am having some trouble doing the above:( I have the telnet server running
on RedHat 7.3. I can connect from the linux box to itself but when i try to
connect from the XP machine to the Linux box i get "Could not open
connection to the host, on port 23. I can Webmin the box, ping the box,
share it PPP modem connection but i can't connect with Telnet or ssh. I
tried Putty but no luck also. What could be the problem????
Thanks

Michael

2. Problem with named pipe

3. Unable to telnet a Linux Box from a Windows 2000 Server

4. kernel 2.4.0 routing??

5. Unable to telnet into Linux box

6. MS Proxy

7. Unable to telnet to linux box.

8. Linux as primary actice partition

9. Unable to telnet into linux box

10. Unable to telnet/ping to/from Linux box

11. Cannot telnet into linux box (From WFWG to Linux Box)

12. Cannot telnet or ftp to new Linux box

13. unable to install RH5.2 onto RH5.1