how do i install a NE2000 ISA NIC

Post by David Boos » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hey. I've got a Netgear EA201 ISA network card. It's NE2000 and PnP
compatible. How do I install it in a RedHat 6.0 system? I've fooled
around with isapnptools, with no success. I've read the man pages, but
still have no clue as to how I'm supposed to install the card.

Thanks.

--
David Booss
geeks404 Webmaster

http://www.geeks404.com/

The difference between a geek and a nerd is a social life ;)

Post by Tom Easte » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hey. I've got a Netgear EA201 ISA network card. It's NE2000 and PnP
> compatible. How do I install it in a RedHat 6.0 system? I've fooled
> around with isapnptools, with no success. I've read the man pages, but
> still have no clue as to how I'm supposed to install the card.

The most foolproof way is to configure the card for non-PnP (there's
usually a DOS utility that comes with these cards) and for a fixed IO
port and IRQ. Next, run linuxconf and select Networking->Basic Host
Information->Adapter 1. Fill out the appropriate information (select
"ne" for the driver) and be sure to specify the ioport and irq (for the
ioport, be sure to use hex notation -- 0x0300 for example).

As you leave linuxconf, it will ask you if you want to activate the
changes -- do so and your interface should come up.

If you can't disable PnP it's a little harder. I'm writing this from
memory and haven't had any PnP devices for quite a while -- hope I don't
leave out something important. If my advice conflicts with someone
elses, I'm probably wrong.

a) /sbin/pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
b) Edit isapnp.conf to select a card configuration that doesn't
conflict.
c) /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

Note: because you will now have an isapnp.conf file, the last command
will be automatically run each time you boot.

Now proceed as if you had configured the card using the DOS utility.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

how do i install a NE2000 ISA NIC

Post by David Boos » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> The most foolproof way is to configure the card for non-PnP (there's
> usually a DOS utility that comes with these cards) and for a fixed IO
> port and IRQ. Next, run linuxconf and select Networking->Basic Host
> Information->Adapter 1. Fill out the appropriate information (select
> "ne" for the driver) and be sure to specify the ioport and irq (for the
> ioport, be sure to use hex notation -- 0x0300 for example).

> As you leave linuxconf, it will ask you if you want to activate the
> changes -- do so and your interface should come up.

> If you can't disable PnP it's a little harder. I'm writing this from
> memory and haven't had any PnP devices for quite a while -- hope I don't
> leave out something important. If my advice conflicts with someone
> elses, I'm probably wrong.

> a) /sbin/pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
> b) Edit isapnp.conf to select a card configuration that doesn't
> conflict.
> c) /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

> Note: because you will now have an isapnp.conf file, the last command
> will be automatically run each time you boot.

> Now proceed as if you had configured the card using the DOS utility.

> -Tom
> --
> Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

> Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

Thanks man. Here's how I did it:
1.) linuxconf, set device eth0 with ne driver, I/O 0x0300, IRQ 3.
2.) Rebooted with a Windows 95 boot disk, popped in the Netgear disk,
ran setup.
3.) In setup, I disabled PnP, and I/O and IRQ settings were fine. I
saved the settings to the EPROM and rebooted.
4.) Linux kernel brought up eth0 perfectly.

For everyone else that needs to set up this card, I'll make a tutorial
for it on http://www.geeks404.com/ sometime tonight or tomorrow.

--
David Booss
geeks404 Webmaster

http://www.geeks404.com/

Hacking for the New Millenium: http://www.orpheous.com/

The difference between a geek and a nerd is a social life ;)