ftp newbie can pnig, telnet but not ftp

Post by David Heithol » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have a 2 machine network that seems to have all functionality except for
ftp.

My Little home Network:  Linux (Redhat 6.1) on Intel machine intended to be
the server (but I chose the workstation Linux installation).  eth0 is
working fine.
W98 Machine with 3com309d card.  These 2 machines are connected by BNC (thin
coax cable) with appropriate T terminators on each end.

Linux box can ping W98 box.
W98 box can ping Linux box.
W98 box can telnet to Linux box.  No problems with telneting.

But ftp is unsuccessful.  When I try to ftp on the W98 box, Here is what I
get in the MSDOS window:

ftp> open 204.191.151.1 (this is the Linux box IP address)
Connected to 204.191.151.1
Connection closed by remote host

When I try to get the Linux box to ftp to itself I get this message:

421 Service not available.  Remote server has closed connection

At the suggestion of a friend and without understanding, I have looked at
/etc/inet.conf and changed this line:
Original line:
ftp      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
New line:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd

This had made no difference to the behavior of ftp.

It seems that I need to configure the Linux box to allow ftp access to
remote machines, but it is not clear tome from REdHat documentation and all
that I have found thus far on the net what I need to do to do this
configuring.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks very much in advance.

David Heitholt

Post by Tom East » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I have a 2 machine network that seems to have all functionality except for
>ftp.

>My Little home Network:  Linux (Redhat 6.1) on Intel machine intended to be
>the server (but I chose the workstation Linux installation).  eth0 is
>working fine.
>W98 Machine with 3com309d card.  These 2 machines are connected by BNC (thin
>coax cable) with appropriate T terminators on each end.

>Linux box can ping W98 box.
>W98 box can ping Linux box.
>W98 box can telnet to Linux box.  No problems with telneting.

>But ftp is unsuccessful.  When I try to ftp on the W98 box, Here is what I
>get in the MSDOS window:

>ftp> open 204.191.151.1 (this is the Linux box IP address)
>Connected to 204.191.151.1
>Connection closed by remote host

>When I try to get the Linux box to ftp to itself I get this message:

>421 Service not available.  Remote server has closed connection

>At the suggestion of a friend and without understanding, I have looked at
>/etc/inet.conf and changed this line:
>Original line:
>ftp      stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
>New line:
>ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd

>This had made no difference to the behavior of ftp.

>It seems that I need to configure the Linux box to allow ftp access to
>remote machines, but it is not clear tome from REdHat documentation and all
>that I have found thus far on the net what I need to do to do this
>configuring.

Sounds like you haven't installed an ftp server. Install the wu-ftpd rpm.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principal of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

1. FTP Newbie can ping, telnet but not FTP

[...]

remote machines.  Thus far it is not clear to me from RedHat documentation
or all that I have found on the net what I need to do.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks very much in advance.

David Heitholt

2. entropy source

3. ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup

4. 2D CARD !! and efficient X server

5. Help with connecting with ISP in PPP

6. FTP/Telnet not working or VERY slow.... newbie

7. SMP-Linux with RAID disks

8. FTP and telnet not working or VERY slow on new install -NEWBIE

9. VPN woes: telnet OK, ftp put OK, ftp get hangs

10. Solaris ftp v Pro-ftp v WU-ftp

11. FTP: New Linux FTP site: ftp.kernel.org

12. Secure ftp, ftp over stunnel og ftp-ssl.