Multiple 3c509 cards with Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30

Multiple 3c509 cards with Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30

Post by Vinay Gup » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install two 3c509 ethernet cards on
my Linux PC running Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30.

According to Red Hat's documentation:

Quote:> However, if any two ethernet cards use the same
> driver (e.g., two 3c509's or a 3c595 and a 3c905),
> you will need to compile a custom kernel with the
> ethernet driver built in.

Is this really necessary?

I tried setting the required options in /etc/conf.modules:
        alias eth0 3c509
        alias eth1 3c509
        options 3c509 io=0x300,0x280
but only eth0 is detected.

Can I simply make a copy of 3c509.o, and try this in /etc/conf.modules:
        alias eth0 3c509
        alias eth1 my3c509
        options 3c509 io=0x300
        options my3c509 io=0x280

I am hesitant in trying all these experiments because I don't
want my machine to hang or get screwed up.
I would appreciate any help!
Thanks,
-- Vinay

Multiple 3c509 cards with Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30

Post by Bernard Speekenbrin » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I also tried to install two 3c509 cards. The only solution that worked for
me was to build a new kernel with ethernet built in.
Bernard

Quote:>I am trying to install two 3c509 ethernet cards on

Post by William R. Matti » Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to install two 3c509 ethernet cards on
> my Linux PC running Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30.

> I tried setting the required options in /etc/conf.modules:
>         alias eth0 3c509
>         alias eth1 3c509
>         options 3c509 io=0x300,0x280
> but only eth0 is detected.

> Can I simply make a copy of 3c509.o, and try this in /etc/conf.modules:
>         alias eth0 3c509
>         alias eth1 my3c509
>         options 3c509 io=0x300
>         options my3c509 io=0x280

Try the following:

/etc/conf.modules:
alias eth0 3c509
alias eth1 3c509
options 3c509 io=0x300,0x280 irq=5,3

Note: replace the irq's with the appropriate values and make damn sure
that plug and pray (prey ? :^) ) is disabled.

Regards
Bill

--
William R. Mattil.......| Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 256-3219..........| and... in high heels.

Multiple 3c509 cards with Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30

Post by paul » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Yes, yes, I am having the same wonderful problems getting my two 3c509
cards to work in my machine.  I have read all the available
documentation, I have read the newsgroups, but still no luck.

I have two new 3c509s installed (both PnP, unfortunately, which may be
the problem).  I have compiled support for these cards (and only these
cards) into the kernel.  At boot time I have tried:

--> linux ether=0,0,eth1
--> linux ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1
--> linux ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=3,0x280,eth1

ad nauseum but to no success.

Oftentimes the kernel tells me it is "delaying eth1 initialization."
Oftentimes I get a IOCTL-or something message.

I'm lost here guys, throw me a rope, eh?

pauly
(note anti-spamming code in my return email)

Multiple 3c509 cards with Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30

Post by Jeffrey D. Maak » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I had exactly the same problem, and I solved it by booting with a DOS disk
and running the 3c509cfg.exe (or something like that) config program that
came with the cards.  I turned off PnP and had the card configure itself.

Good luck.....jeff

> Yes, yes, I am having the same wonderful problems getting my two 3c509
> cards to work in my machine.  I have read all the available
> documentation, I have read the newsgroups, but still no luck.

> I have two new 3c509s installed (both PnP, unfortunately, which may be
> the problem).  I have compiled support for these cards (and only these
> cards) into the kernel.  At boot time I have tried:

> --> linux ether=0,0,eth1
> --> linux ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1
> --> linux ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=3,0x280,eth1

> ad nauseum but to no success.

> Oftentimes the kernel tells me it is "delaying eth1 initialization."
> Oftentimes I get a IOCTL-or something message.

> I'm lost here guys, throw me a rope, eh?

> pauly
> (note anti-spamming code in my return email)

Multiple 3c509 cards with Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30

Post by Neil Har » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

You _have_ to turn off the PNP with the DOS util. I had success with the
line:

Quote:> --> linux ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=3,0x280,eth1

After that check

cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports

to see if both of your cards were recognized by the kernel.

Neil

Post by Donald Beck » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Yes, yes, I am having the same wonderful problems getting my two 3c509
>cards to work in my machine.  I have read all the available
>documentation, I have read the newsgroups, but still no luck.

>I have two new 3c509s installed (both PnP, unfortunately, which may be
>the problem).  I have compiled support for these cards (and only these
>cards) into the kernel.  At boot time I have tried:

>--> linux ether=0,0,eth1
>--> linux ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1
>--> linux ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=3,0x280,eth1

The first and second lines should work.  The third line will only prevent
the 3c509 cards from being activated if they are not programmed to be at
those addresses.

Check /proc/version to make certain you are actually running the kernel with
the 3c509 driver compiled into it.

You may need to turn off the 3c509 card's Plug-and-Pray support when used
with some motherboards.

Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

Post by scar.. » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >Yes, yes, I am having the same wonderful problems getting my two 3c509
> >cards to work in my machine.  I have read all the available
> >documentation, I have read the newsgroups, but still no luck.

> >I have two new 3c509s installed (both PnP, unfortunately, which may be
> >the problem).  I have compiled support for these cards (and only these
> >cards) into the kernel.  At boot time I have tried:

> >--> linux ether=0,0,eth1
> >--> linux ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1
> >--> linux ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=3,0x280,eth1

> The first and second lines should work.  The third line will only prevent
> the 3c509 cards from being activated if they are not programmed to be at
> those addresses.

> Check /proc/version to make certain you are actually running the kernel with
> the 3c509 driver compiled into it.

> You may need to turn off the 3c509 card's Plug-and-Pray support when used
> with some motherboards.

I also use 3c509 cards and the documentation for the Linux drivers says to turn
of PNP.  There is a utility to do this on the disk that came with the card.  It's
called 'pnpdsabl' or something similar.  After turning off PNP, you will have to
set your interrupts and stuff manually.  Also, if you are using one of the combo
cards, that have TP, Coax & AUI interfaces you will gave to choose which one you
want manually.  All the configurations can be done with the config utility on the
diskette.  The config will be saved to the cards NV RAM and Linux will query this
on reboot.

-Steve.

1. rexecd connection timeout in Red Hat 4.2 Linux 2.0.30

If I recall correctly the fix is to edit /etc/pam.d/rexec. Comment out
the appropriate line and all should be well. I am not at work, so I
can't give you specifics but I use an NT workstation & Exceed to rexec
into 4.2 Boxes all the time.

Hope this helps
Bill

--
William R. Mattil .....| Fred Astaire wasn't so great......

(972) 256-3219 ........| and in high heels

2. synchronous data on port A of an Ultra10

3. Redhat 4.2 kernel 2.0.30 problem

4. BIG problem with disk space and hard links

5. SIIG Ultra SCSI Pro, Redhat 4.2 & kernel 2.0.30

6. Pause in shell

7. DHCP Client on RH 4.2 (Kernel 2.0.30)

8. netstat -ia versus -nr

9. kernel modules complile problem 3.0.30 RedHat 4.2

10. Red Hat 4.2 Graphics card setup

11. Upgrading Kernel on Red Hat 4.2...

12. Upgrading kernel on Red Hat 4.2

13. Compiling kernel on Red Hat 4.2 (newbie question)