How do I get it to boot with dhcpcd

Post by Sergio Cienfuegos Orni » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Ok, here's the thing: I've just installed Red Hat 6.1 (don't know which
kernel I have...) and I use a net card Realtek RTL8029 PCI. I downloaded
dhcpcd and if I run it manually it works just fine, but I don't know how
to make it work right from booting time. Does anyone know how can I do
this? I've been told to configure ifcfg-eth0 both manually and using
netcfg to set bootprot to dhcp and to check the start up at boot
chek..., but when I restart it all I get this message:
Bringing up device eth0 Determining IP information for eth0... Operation
failed. failed.

So, if anyone out there can give me a hand I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Sergio

Post by Tom East » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Ok, here's the thing: I've just installed Red Hat 6.1 (don't know which
>kernel I have...) and I use a net card Realtek RTL8029 PCI. I downloaded
>dhcpcd and if I run it manually it works just fine, but I don't know how
>to make it work right from booting time. Does anyone know how can I do
>this? I've been told to configure ifcfg-eth0 both manually and using
>netcfg to set bootprot to dhcp and to check the start up at boot
>chek..., but when I restart it all I get this message:
>Bringing up device eth0 Determining IP information for eth0... Operation
>failed. failed.

>So, if anyone out there can give me a hand I'd be very grateful.

Redhat is set up to use pump for dhcp so you have to edit a couple of
files:

/sbin/ifup: Replace /sbin/pump with /sbin/dhcpcd and change any options as
required.

/sbin/ifdown: Replace line that runs /sbin/pump with:

kill -TERM `cat /var/run/dhcpcd-${DEVICE}.pid`

Note that the "`" characters are back single quotes (upper left hand on
QWERTY keyboard).

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principal of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

1. dhcpcd / update of dhcpcd-eth0.info

Hi.

I am using dhcpcd on Red Hat 6.2. It works great.

The file /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info is updated when I get the lease
the first time.

I am able to compute all the dates based on LEASETIME RENEWALTIME
REBINDTIME.

Obtained  Mon Oct 22 22:17:19 PDT 2001
Renewal   Thu Oct 25 13:08:37 PDT 2001
Rebind    Sat Oct 27 12:17:06 PDT 2001
Expires   Sun Oct 28 01:59:56 PST 2001

The problem is when I renew my lease. Dhcpcd is doing its job as
expected. I can see in the log :
Oct 25 13:08:37 host dhcpcd[10695]: sending DHCP_REQUEST for x.x.x.x
to y.y.y.y
Oct 25 13:08:37 host dhcpcd[10695]: DHCP_ACK received from  (y.y.y.y)

But dhcpcd-eth0.info is NOT updated. Hence LEASETIME etc... don't make
any sense anymore.

Did I miss something ?
Is there a way to get dhcpcd-eth0.info updated ?

Thanks a lot.

Vince.

2. HDD chip select decode addresses

3. help with dhcpcd setup; Linux RH4.2, dhcpcd v0.70, DHCPNOOFFER

4. Sharing swap & /tmp on one drive

5. Please HELP getting my network on the internet (ethernet, dhcpcd, route and ifconfig problems)

6. Cisco VPN client through PF

7. dhcpcd gets dynamic IP and nameserver

8. rpc

9. dhcpcd-0.6 - DHCP client daemon, gets client IP address and more

10. "dhcpcd eth0" gets my LinuxPPC connected, but which startup script should it be in?

11. Problem getting IP address via dhcpcd from Win2k server

12. getting IP address from dhcpcd

13. Getting dhcpcd to work