Attempting an FTP install of Red Hat

Post by whar.. » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Here at home I have an NT server running IIS for experimenting on.

I have set up an FTP server successfully, as I am able to FTP into the
space I set up for FTP from both my server and my one Win98 client.

I set this up purposefully to allow me to do a FTP install from a
server.  In this case, my CD-ROM drive is installed on the NT box, and
I am trying to install Linux workstation on my client machine.

This posting is a result of it not working out as hoped.

I have copied the install images for bootnet.img onto a floppy using
RAWWRITE, and here is what happens.

I reboot my client with the floppy in and follow the install
directions.

        Language -> English
        Keyboard -> US
        Select FTP install
        Setup finds my NIC correctly
        Use Statis IP address
                Add my clients IP address (running TCP/IP)
                SubNet Mask - Used default as is same as on my server
                Gateway - Left blank as not set on my server
                Name Server - Set IP address of my server
        Next screen
                Set domain name = dNTServer     (name of my domain)
                Set host name = NT.dNTServer    (NT is name of the
server [original, huh?])
                No additional name servers
        Next screen
                FTP site = IP address of IIS server FTP site
                Red Hat directory = G:\RedHat   (directory and folder
of my CD-Reader and RedHat on the server

        Hit enter and get the error message,
        "Unable to retrieve second stage ramdisk. Bad server
response."

So, ... what went wrong?

RedHat version 6.0

Thanks,

Will

Attempting an FTP install of Red Hat

Post by Simo » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

The files it needs are in the root of the cd drive...  I had the same
problem yesterday..  Set the root of your CD as the ftproot and all will be
ok..

Simon

> Hi,

> Here at home I have an NT server running IIS for experimenting on.

> I have set up an FTP server successfully, as I am able to FTP into the
> space I set up for FTP from both my server and my one Win98 client.

> I set this up purposefully to allow me to do a FTP install from a
> server.  In this case, my CD-ROM drive is installed on the NT box, and
> I am trying to install Linux workstation on my client machine.

> This posting is a result of it not working out as hoped.

> I have copied the install images for bootnet.img onto a floppy using
> RAWWRITE, and here is what happens.

> I reboot my client with the floppy in and follow the install
> directions.

> Language -> English
> Keyboard -> US
> Select FTP install
> Setup finds my NIC correctly
> Use Statis IP address
> Add my clients IP address (running TCP/IP)
> SubNet Mask - Used default as is same as on my server
> Gateway - Left blank as not set on my server
> Name Server - Set IP address of my server
> Next screen
> Set domain name = dNTServer (name of my domain)
> Set host name = NT.dNTServer (NT is name of the
> server [original, huh?])
> No additional name servers
> Next screen
> FTP site = IP address of IIS server FTP site
> Red Hat directory = G:\RedHat (directory and folder
> of my CD-Reader and RedHat on the server

> Hit enter and get the error message,
> "Unable to retrieve second stage ramdisk. Bad server
> response."

> So, ... what went wrong?

> RedHat version 6.0

> Thanks,

> Will

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. MS Linux? Did I miss something?

3. Red Hat 5.2 Install (Attempt) Review.

4. Network configuration

5. Log File Monitoring

6. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

7. interne Kommandos

8. Red Hat FTP install w/EtherExpress Pro/10

9. Red Hat ftp install

10. Red Hat 6.0 FTP install hangs

11. has anyone installed red hat 5.2 from ftp down load

12. FTP install of Red Hat 6.0 using DFE-530TX