help for network analyzer

Post by baba » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:39:06

i have couple of new bie questions . plz guide me
i am building Network analyzer as a part of Project

1). i wana change Ethernet Card to premiscous mode
2). i wana build Network analyzer

Any help would be more than welcomed!!!

Thanx in advance

help for network analyzer

Post by Peter T. Breue » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:48:14

> i have couple of new bie questions . plz guide me

Capital letters usually start sentences off in a good way. Personal
pronouns also like to be capitalized. Something about the state of the
Union, I think. "Please" generally sounds better when somebody bothers
to write it out in full. After all, you want work done for you, so you
should do some work too, no?

Writing lazily gives us the impression that you are lazy.  You wouldn't
want that to happen, no?  After all, you're trying to give us a /good/
impression, no?  You wouldn't want us to think that you were a lazy
person trying to get others to do the work instead?

Quote:> i am building Network analyzer as a part of Project

Interesting, because you seem to use a future modality below.

Quote:> 1). i wana change Ethernet Card to premiscous mode

Yes, well, when you spell the word right, you will be able to grep
through all the manpages for it. When you find the manpage with it in,
you will be able to read the manpage in question.

Quote:> 2). i wana build Network analyzer
> Any help would be more than welcomed!!!

The dictionary is thataway ->

Peter

help for network analyzer

Post by baba » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:27:36

Peter
"Please" Can you decode your answers for me and guide me ..
I would be grateful.

I will rephrase  my questions again
1). How do i put my ethernet card in promiscuous mode? Are there any
drivers available or do i Edit some file in Linux ( I have R.H 7.3 )

This is the first step in making Network Analyzer .

I am looking forward to your reply.
Thaking you

> > i have couple of new bie questions . plz guide me

> Capital letters usually start sentences off in a good way. Personal
> pronouns also like to be capitalized. Something about the state of the
> Union, I think. "Please" generally sounds better when somebody bothers
> to write it out in full. After all, you want work done for you, so you
> should do some work too, no?

> Writing lazily gives us the impression that you are lazy.  You wouldn't
> want that to happen, no?  After all, you're trying to give us a /good/
> impression, no?  You wouldn't want us to think that you were a lazy
> person trying to get others to do the work instead?

> > i am building Network analyzer as a part of Project

> Interesting, because you seem to use a future modality below.

> > 1). i wana change Ethernet Card to premiscous mode

> Yes, well, when you spell the word right, you will be able to grep
> through all the manpages for it. When you find the manpage with it in,
> you will be able to read the manpage in question.

> > 2). i wana build Network analyzer

> > Any help would be more than welcomed!!!

> The dictionary is thataway ->

> Peter

help for network analyzer

Post by John Armstron » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:42:13

Quote:>Peter
>"Please" Can you decode your answers for me and guide me ..
>I would be grateful.

>I will rephrase  my questions again
>1). How do i put my ethernet card in promiscuous mode? Are there any
>drivers available or do i Edit some file in Linux ( I have R.H 7.3 )

ifconfig eth0 promisc

--
John

help for network analyzer

Post by Tauno Voipi » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:13:37

Quote:> Peter
> "Please" Can you decode your answers for me and guide me ..
> I would be grateful.

> I will rephrase  my questions again
> 1). How do i put my ethernet card in promiscuous mode? Are there any
> drivers available or do i Edit some file in Linux ( I have R.H 7.3 )

> This is the first step in making Network Analyzer .

Please get and read the libpcap library manuals before trying to do all the
tricks yourself - libpcap is the low-level thing used by tcpdump and
friends.

Tauno Voipio

help for network analyzer

Post by baba » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:26:02

> > Peter
> > "Please" Can you decode your answers for me and guide me ..
> > I would be grateful.

> > I will rephrase  my questions again
> > 1). How do i put my ethernet card in promiscuous mode? Are there any
> > drivers available or do i Edit some file in Linux ( I have R.H 7.3 )

> > This is the first step in making Network Analyzer .

> Please get and read the libpcap library manuals before trying to do all the
> tricks yourself - libpcap is the low-level thing used by tcpdump and
> friends.

> Tauno Voipio

Thanks for your help ..... All of you