Editing files through Telnet

Post by Andrey Smirno » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You should learn some vi commands if you want to use it or you may use other
editor like pico, etc.

Try typing 'pico' (without the quotes) at your command prompt.

Good luck!

Post by Sean W. Elli » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I have recently set up a linux box running RedHat 5.1 as a router for
> my new DSL connection. It is a headless box, and my only access to it
> is through telnet. Generally, this works great, but I do have one
> problem, concerning editing files through telnet. When I open up a file
> with vi, I have no problems except that I am unable to delete anything
> in the file. I can add things OK, but not delete. The delete and
> backspace keys work fine at the command prompt, so I know that the
> problem is not my telnet client.

> Can someone help? I can be reached through email at

Try using Zoc for Windows for your Telnet session.  Get it from
www.winfiles.com.
--

Post by Villy Kru » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I have recently set up a linux box running RedHat 5.1 as a router for
>my new DSL connection. It is a headless box, and my only access to it
>is through telnet. Generally, this works great, but I do have one
>problem, concerning editing files through telnet. When I open up a file
>with vi, I have no problems except that I am unable to delete anything
>in the file. I can add things OK, but not delete. The delete and
>backspace keys work fine at the command prompt, so I know that the
>problem is not my telnet client.

If your TERM variable doesn't match the telnet client then it can appear
that lines cannot be deleted when in fact they are.  This comes when the
excape sequence sent to the telnet client to delete a line on the screen
is not understood, and thus what is on the screnn doesn't change.

Hitting the ^L  (that is control-L, aka FormFeed) would redraw the screen
image with the deleted line removed.

I assume that you have no problem deleting lines and character when you
are working on the local console.  There is nothing in vi that you can
do locally that you can't do remotely.  It doesn't depend on function
keys, arrow keys, or any other keys but the normal typewriter keys.

Villy

Post by Jens Sülwal » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I have recently set up a linux box running RedHat 5.1 as a router for
> my new DSL connection. It is a headless box, and my only access to it
> is through telnet. Generally, this works great, but I do have one
> problem, concerning editing files through telnet. When I open up a file
> with vi, I have no problems except that I am unable to delete anything
> in the file. I can add things OK, but not delete. The delete and
> backspace keys work fine at the command prompt, so I know that the
> problem is not my telnet client.

> Can someone help? I can be reached through email at

Which telnet client do you use ?

Jens Slwald
P. S. :PGP-Key availible. To get the key,
send a mail with "send pgp" in subject
line.

1. Telnet: is there a way of editing JOT files using telnet on a win95 system.

I am using win95 telnet to access my work station (sgi indy) in school.
I was wondering if there is a way of editing JOT files. Also, I am trying
to ftp from my house to work.When I telnet into my workstation,
I first have to go to the mainstation before I can access my station, but
my ftp only connects to the mainstation. Is there a way or a software that
will connect me to the mainstation then to my workstation.

Thanx, agabas

2. RH 6.2 DHCP Nonsense

3. I want kermit to receive files thru a telnet link.

4. 0.96c Makefiles...

5. telnet file "pass-thru" to local system??

6. output filter for print command

7. bsm doesn't log file changes thru telnet/ftp

8. Device Driver development

9. Need help editing (sed) a file without changing the date of the file.

10. unix strings command on exp file (was Re: Editing an Export (.dmp) file)

11. Editing files by script file

12. Need help editing (sed) a file without changing the date of the file.

13. File Permission Changing when user edits file (Samba)