Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

Post by Jon J. Mori » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 07:47:14



I'm having a strange problem.  I have a small LAN set up with a Win98 box
and a SuSE 7.1 box set up connected through a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
modem that goes straight to a DEC ethernet card in the Win98 box.  I have a
second ethernet card, a 3c509 in the Windows box that goes straight to the
hub.  Now I can ping my linux box, I can ssh into it (I can't telnet for
some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux box can't even ping the Win98 box.
The card in the Linux box is a 3c509b.  I'm pretty sure it's properly
configured.  Can someone give me a hint here, please.  Thanks a lot.

Jon J. Morin

 
 
 

Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 08:07:44


Hi John,

Quote:> I'm having a strange problem.  I have a small LAN set up with a Win98 box
> and a SuSE 7.1 box set up connected through a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
> modem that goes straight to a DEC ethernet card in the Win98 box.  I have a
> second ethernet card, a 3c509 in the Windows box that goes straight to the
> hub.  Now I can ping my linux box, I can ssh into it (I can't telnet for
> some reason, must be SuSE).

I would check to make sure that you actually have the "telnet-daemon" actually
loaded on the system.  Depending on what options are selected, the system may
or may not actually have the service up and running.

Quote:> The linux box can't even ping the Win98 box.
> The card in the Linux box is a 3c509b.  I'm pretty sure it's properly
> configured.  Can someone give me a hint here, please.  Thanks a lot.

I would be interested to see the routing table on your Linux box.  What sort
of error do you get back when you try to ping the machine.  Is it a case of
destination not reachable or connection timed out ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

Post by Vanja Hrusti » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 06:28:21




> can't telnet for some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux box can't even
> ping the Win98 box. The card in the Linux box is a 3c509b.  I'm pretty

Try to use 'ping -n <win98.ip>' - if that works, check the
/etc/resolv.conf file, it might be pointing to the DNS server which Linux
box can't connect to.
 
 
 

Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

Post by Tomi Holger Engdah » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:33:04



Quote:> I'm having a strange problem.  I have a small LAN set up with a Win98 box
> and a SuSE 7.1 box set up connected through a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
> modem that goes straight to a DEC ethernet card in the Win98 box.  I have a
> second ethernet card, a 3c509 in the Windows box that goes straight to the
> hub.  Now I can ping my linux box, I can ssh into it (I can't telnet for
> some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux box can't even ping the Win98 box.
> The card in the Linux box is a 3c509b.  I'm pretty sure it's properly
> configured.  Can someone give me a hint here, please.  Thanks a lot.

If you try to access the Win98 computer with name, check that you
have configured the DNS services or DNS server address correctly on
your Linux computer. Try to ping the IP address of your Win98 computer
to check if that works.

If it does not still work, check that replying pings in Win98 itself works.
Try to ping Win98 computer from itself. Then check that you don't have
any firewall software or something else running in Win98 computer
which would block your access to ping service from outside.
Or something in the network between your computers which would block that
(firewall or NAT service).

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
Take a look at my electronics web links and documents at
http://www.epanorama.net/