Help!! -- A DHCP problem with RH6.0

Post by Avijit Purkayasth » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I  was previously running RH 5.1 with my ether card and everything was
ok. I then
upgraded/installed RH 6.0 and my networking is giving me problems --
i.e. my pcmcia
ether card is being recognised ok, but my DHCP protocol is just not
working. Since its
parameters are same as before, I am perplexed as to what the problem
is!! I noticed
the `pump' program is being used, so I got the latest patch, but that
didn't fix the problem.
Whenever I try to make eth0 active, it says .. Determining IP
information for eth0 ...
Operation failed. There are no error messages other than this, so I have
no clue.
Anyone facing similar problems?? Any suggestions/coments will be greatly
appreciated.

    -- Avi

Help!! -- A DHCP problem with RH6.0

Post by Bo Forslun » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I replaced pump with dhcpc in the network scripts and installed the latest
dhcpcd.  With pump one doesnt get the same ip number as one had the last
time, if it wasn't to long ago, depending on the leasing time of ip numbers
on the dhcp server.

I hope this will help you
Bo

This is my ifup around line 104 and onward

elif [ -n "$DHCP" ]; then
    echo -n "Determining IP information for $DEVICE using dhcpcd..."
    IFNAME=${DEVICE} \
    /sbin/dhcpcd -c /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdhcpc-done ${DEVICE}
    echo "echo \$$ > /var/run/dhcp-wait-${DEVICE}.pid; exec sleep 30" | sh

    if [ ! -f /var/run/dhcp-wait-${DEVICE}.pid ]; then
 echo "failed."
 exit 1
    else

And here is my ifdown around line 62 and onwards

#  This is RedHat-6.0 original.  The lines below uses dhcpcd
#  for dhcp connections and pump for bootp connections
#
#if [ "$BOOTPROTO" = bootp -o "$BOOTPROTO" = dhcp ]; then
# pump -r -i ${DEVICE}
#fi

if [ "$BOOTPROTO" = bootp ]; then
 pump -r -i ${DEVICE}
fi

if [ "$BOOTPROTO" = dhcp -a $ISALIAS = no ]; then
    if [ -f /var/run/dhcpcd-${DEVICE}.pid ]; then
 kill `cat /var/run/dhcpcd-${DEVICE}.pid`
 rm -f /var/run/dhcpcd-${DEVICE}.pid
 exit 0

1. Help! Cable Modem/DHCP Client RH6.2

Equipment: Terayon Cable Modem, Linksys (ne2000) cards, RH6.2 (intel),
Time Warner RoadRunner.  eth1=RoadRunner(dhcp), eth0=private(static).

I'm trying to get a dual-interface system up using DHCP.  My Windows 98
client works flawlessly, so I know that my link and modem is good.  I
can configure either card statically inside my network to talk to each
other, so I know they work as well.

When I switch from the WIndows machine to my Linux box, I unplug the
modem for a few minutes to allow it to "forget" the MAC address it last
dealt with.

No matter what I do I cannot get the Linux box configured via DHCP.  I
have tried both pump and dhcpcd.  I was told by Time Warner that it
takes a certain amount of activiy before their server responds... I
wrote a script that started dhcpcd repeatedly for hours - still no good.
When I issue the command I can see the activity light blink on my hub,
and then on the modem (tried direct connect also).  NOthing else happens
- I always get a timeout.

Interestingly, the light patterns seem diffent when Windows is
negotiating for a lease... Seems more active than dhcpcd or pump.

Can anyone help me figure out what is different about my Linux box dhcp
clinet and the Win 98 client, and moreover how to make it work?  I'm a
Solaris guy by trade so I'm a bit behind in Linux internals.

Thanks,
Chris

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Newsflash

3. Problem RH6 and DHCP

4. PPP woes

5. DHCP problem with RH6 and Rogers Cable

6. Ultra speed with aic7xxx?

7. DHCP Hostname problems w/RH6

8. Dial On Demand Firewall

9. Problem setting up DHCP (RH6.1)

10. Workaround for RH6.0 - RH6.1 Upgrade Problem

11. RH 5.1 flawless ftp-dhcp install; dhcp config retained; dhcp fails @ boot

12. Firewall+DHCP (pump) Strange DHCP behavior HELP!

13. Help needed...DHCP and dhcp.conf