dhcp error message: ?

Post by Paul Nixo » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 07:49:47

Hello,

I am curious as to why I am seeing the following in my log file:

Apr 18 09:39:55 Server named[569]: denied update from [192.168.1.1].1026 for
"Ourdomain"
.
.
Apr 18 09:46:27 Server dhcpd: if IN A TBird1234.Ourdomain doesn't exist add
10800 IN A TBird1234.Ourdomain 192.168.1.27: resolver failed.

Server is, well, the server running dhcp and named at IPA 192.168.1.1
TBird1234 is a dhcp client. I am still converting from static IP to dynamic
IP and TBird1234 is the only system on the wired network using dhcp. It is a
Win98SE system that has no trouble connecting to other machines or the
internet.

TBird1234 is *not* in /etc/hosts and is not specifically listed in any of
the zone files. Nor is it assigned a fixed address in /etc/dhcpd.conf.
Apparently something isn't configured correctly because when I telnet from
TBird1234 to the server, it shows up as 192.168.1.27, not TBird1234. I had
assumed that dhcpd would take care of the host/ip tracking, but apparently
not. All the relevant information does go into the leases file, but I assume
something is misconfigured because when I attempt to ping TBird1234 from the
server it comes back with "Unknown host name" and that's not quite what I
was expecting.

I'm wondering if the "denied update" messages I see (for both the server and
TBird1234) are related to this.

Thoughts?

Paul Nixon

dhcp error message: ?

Post by Eric P. McC » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 08:49:26

> I am curious as to why I am seeing the following in my log file:
> Apr 18 09:39:55 Server named[569]: denied update from [192.168.1.1].1026 for
> "Ourdomain"
> .
> .
> Apr 18 09:46:27 Server dhcpd: if IN A TBird1234.Ourdomain doesn't exist add
> 10800 IN A TBird1234.Ourdomain 192.168.1.27: resolver failed.
> Server is, well, the server running dhcp and named at IPA 192.168.1.1
> TBird1234 is a dhcp client. I am still converting from static IP to dynamic
> IP and TBird1234 is the only system on the wired network using dhcp. It is a
> Win98SE system that has no trouble connecting to other machines or the
> internet.

dhcpd is trying to create a nameserver record (pair) on your
nameserver.  Your nameserver is not configured to allow those
updates.  Either disable dhcpd's tie-in with DNS, or change DNS so it
allows updates from your DHCP server.

--

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass." - John Novak, rasfwrj

dhcp error message: ?

Post by Paul Nixo » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:46:06

Quote:> dhcpd is trying to create a nameserver record (pair) on your
> nameserver.  Your nameserver is not configured to allow those
> updates.  Either disable dhcpd's tie-in with DNS, or change DNS so it
> allows updates from your DHCP server.

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the quick response.

Currently my named.conf file contains the lines:     allow-update { none; };

I have 6 "zone" declarations, 5 of which have the above line. Would I be
correct in assuming I need to change the lines to something like:

zone "localhost" in {
    type master;
    file "caching-example/localhost.zone";
    allow-update {
            127.0.0.1;
            192.168.1.1;
    };

(adding the 127 and 192 lines for each zone)?

Paul Nixon

dhcp error message: ?

Post by khoba » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:55:28

> > dhcpd is trying to create a nameserver record (pair) on your
> > nameserver.  Your nameserver is not configured to allow those
> > updates.  Either disable dhcpd's tie-in with DNS, or change DNS so it
> > allows updates from your DHCP server.

> Hello Eric,

> Thanks for the quick response.

> Currently my named.conf file contains the lines:     allow-update
{ none; };

> I have 6 "zone" declarations, 5 of which have the above line. Would I be
> correct in assuming I need to change the lines to something like:

> zone "localhost" in {
>     type master;
>     file "caching-example/localhost.zone";
>     allow-update {
>             127.0.0.1;
>             192.168.1.1;
>     };

> (adding the 127 and 192 lines for each zone)?

Okay, I made the changes and now I can ping via hostname. Thanks very much
again Eric for bringing this configuration "error" to my attention.

Paul Nixon

1. dhcp error message

Hi everybody!

I got a little problem with my DHCP server.

After a client gets its ip-address the following message is written
into the syslog:

"dhcpd: if IN A <hostname.domain> doesn't exist add 5400 IN A
<hostname.domain> 192.168.0.2: server failed."

However, the client does get its ip-address.

What does the message in the syslog mean??

--- With kind regards,
        Comanche

2. How to send Standard Error to grep?

3. Error message continuous error messages

4. pine send problems

5. DHCP logs error message in Solaris 2.6

6. network problems on HP-UX

7. Error message at startup: eth0 (DHCP) failed

8. ftp proxy server

9. problem w/ dhcp, pntadm error message

10. Error Message of Message Queue

11. strange error messages in message log

12. 1506-281: (E) Error in message set 12, unable to retrieve message 22.

13. We are getting this error message /var/log/messages