Gateway to @Home via Cable

Post by Gregory Abb » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

the Motorola *surfr cable modem.  I plan to use two network
adapter cards . . one 10Mb to the cable router and a 100Mb for the
local network.  Are there any FAQ's or HOW-TO's on this subject, or
does anyone have any advice??  I'm planning to use 3C905B adapters for
this project.  I have read quite a few posts describing problems with
this card!!  Comments most welcome!!

Gateway to @Home via Cable

Post by Thomas Hora » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Beware of this card 3com 905btx !!!

3com reports problems of this card with compaq machines and I have heard of
probs with a lot more machines too !

>the Motorola *surfr cable modem.  I plan to use two network
>adapter cards . . one 10Mb to the cable router and a 100Mb for the
>local network.  Are there any FAQ's or HOW-TO's on this subject, or
>does anyone have any advice??  I'm planning to use 3C905B adapters for
>this project.  I have read quite a few posts describing problems with
>this card!!  Comments most welcome!!

Gateway to @Home via Cable

Post by John Simmo » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm running this card (okay - TWO of these cards) in my linux gateway,
and it's fine. Stop being an alarmist...

says...

>Beware of this card 3com 905btx !!!

>3com reports problems of this card with compaq machines and I
>have heard of probs with a lot more machines too !

>>the Motorola *surfr cable modem.  I plan to use two network
>>adapter cards . . one 10Mb to the cable router and a 100Mb for the
>>local network.  Are there any FAQ's or HOW-TO's on this subject, or
>>does anyone have any advice??  I'm planning to use 3C905B adapters for
>>this project.  I have read quite a few posts describing problems with
>>this card!!  Comments most welcome!!

John Simmons - Redneck Techno-Biker (Zerex12)
http://www.veryComputer.com/

John Simmons - Barbarian Diecast Collector
http://www.veryComputer.com/

If you want to send me email, go to either of the URL's
shown above & click "Send Me Mail" in the contents frame.

Gateway to @Home via Cable

Post by manchil » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Beware of this card 3com 905btx !!!

> 3com reports problems of this card with compaq machines and I have heard of
> probs with a lot more machines too !

> >I'm planning to use 3C905B adapters for
> >this project.  I have read quite a few posts describing problems with
> >this card!!  Comments most welcome!!

Check the revision letter printed on the card.  If it's rev 'c', the card
is useless.

Dyland
TSR Tier 2

Gateway to @Home via Cable

Post by Evan McNall » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

OK so far for linux, but I have had tremendous problems with these cards under
95, nt, and novell.  For one thing, you absolutely must turn off all features to
auto detect anything with the card's configuration utility (e.g. 10/100 speed,
full/half duplex, etc.).  Oddly, the isa version of 3Com's 10/100 card (forget
the model) is among the best cards I have used, but the pci 3c905 is junk.  I
took part in a project for my company to replace MadgeBlue Token NICs in about
800 machines with 3c905s.  All I can say is it is the only time I have ever seen
so many OS loads reinstalled just to back out of the win95 drivers 3com
provides.  I was surprised SuSE linux's 3c905 module worked as well as it did.

Oh, also the 3c905 is the only card I've ever seen start a broadcast storm on my
4 node home network!  Twice no less.  It's like all the troubleshooting
experience of the enterprise convieniently packaged for training in your home...

Evan

> > Beware of this card 3com 905btx !!!

> > 3com reports problems of this card with compaq machines and I have heard of
> > probs with a lot more machines too !

> > >I'm planning to use 3C905B adapters for
> > >this project.  I have read quite a few posts describing problems with
> > >this card!!  Comments most welcome!!

> Check the revision letter printed on the card.  If it's rev 'c', the card
> is useless.

> Dyland
> TSR Tier 2

1. ipfw/natd settings for home network connected to cable internet via FreeBSD gateway?

(please correct me if I'm wrong)

natd should take care of this.  What natd does is remap port numbers, so
it is impossible for an outside machine to access your internal network
(this breaks some things, i.e., RTSP Quicktime Streaming, active mode
FTP, some SNMP).  Take this diagram.

internal port out 80 in 1000  <----> natd port out 80 in 1024 <---> www
server port out 1024 in 80

  When your internal opens a TCP connection to the www server, it flows
over the natd box.  natd then transparently remashes the connection to
come from another port on its self, but remembers that when packets flow
in this port, they should be regurgitated on the internal network on the
port your machine is using.  It will not open connections the other way
around since it has no way of knowing where to put the packets (packet
forwarders??).

But its a good idea to secure the natd machine, if someone breaks into
that, then they get on the internal network.

Yann

Atrus Trivalie Productions      www.redshift.com/~yramin
Monterey High IT                www.montereyhigh.com
ICQ                             46805627
AIM                             oddatrus
Marina, CA

IRM Developer                   Network Toaster Developer
SNTS Developer                  * Developer

"All cats die.  Socrates is dead.  Therefore Socrates is a cat."
        - The Logician

2. Validating Password

3. FreeBSD 3.2 gateway with @Home cable modem

4. Strange problems with IP Masquerading--please help

5. IP Aliasing Question (using one NIC to gateway a LAN to an @home cable modem)

6. RH 5.1 & Apache & Netscape Clients

7. freebsd 3.2 & gateway with @Home cable modem

8. my modem doesn't respond

9. sparc at home via cable modem to nis?

10. Linux to TCI@home via cable modem

11. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

12. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

13. jlg058@home.com, tlg62@home.com, egglectric@home.com