Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

Post by Richard A. Bilonic » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 09:45:12

I need to access an Oracle data base that (unfortunately) resides on an
NT server. I have set up sqlplus on Linux (from Oracle 8i for Linux). I
can get to the windows network (using smbclient and smbmount). I have an
NT logon id and password that work (I tested them on an NT box and I use
them with smbclient and smbmount) and can get to the data base by typing

Unfortunately I cannot get this to work from the Linux box. Somehow I
need to login to the windows network (so that windows sees my id and
password). I think I need to install Samba to set up the login but am
not sure. (I have smbclient and smbmount without having installed
Samba.)

I can ping the server (using it's name) and everything else seems to be
working just fine.

Rick

--

Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

Post by Dave Shiel » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 22:41:40

You need to setup a tnsnames.ora file on the Linux box to describe the
connection
to the oracle database. Generally the tnslistener on the Oracle box has a
port at 1521 setup.  Check for the tnsnames.ora on the NT platform and make
the Linux box look similar. Make sure the NT platform has support for
TCP/IP enables.

Oracle is great but not easy for a first time setup.

> I need to access an Oracle data base that (unfortunately) resides on an
> NT server. I have set up sqlplus on Linux (from Oracle 8i for Linux). I
> can get to the windows network (using smbclient and smbmount). I have an
> NT logon id and password that work (I tested them on an NT box and I use
> them with smbclient and smbmount) and can get to the data base by typing

> Unfortunately I cannot get this to work from the Linux box. Somehow I
> need to login to the windows network (so that windows sees my id and
> password). I think I need to install Samba to set up the login but am
> not sure. (I have smbclient and smbmount without having installed
> Samba.)

> I can ping the server (using it's name) and everything else seems to be
> working just fine.

> Rick

> --

Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

Post by Richard A. Bilonic » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 15:39:39

The tnsnames.ora file has already been copied from the NT server to the Linux
box. Running Net8 on the Linux box shows the items in the tnsnames.ora file.
Having the tnsnames.ora file is not enough.

The problem is with the OS Authentication that the NT server is doing. I need
to be "logged in" to the network (a particular domain). I think that I can use
the smbmount and/or the smbclient to do the login. I have used these commands
to access files in windows shares on the network. I can't try this until
Monday. I believe when I tried to use sqlplus I wasn't logged into the Windows
network. Can anyone confirm that this will work? I need to get the OS
authentication on the NT server side to work when I start sqlplus.

Rick Bilonick

--

Statistical Consulting for Business & Industry
"Where statistics help is as close as the Internet."

Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

Post by Dave Shiel » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 00:43:01

How about posting your tnsnames file from the NT box.
It sounds like you don't have TCP/IP enabled.
Lots of different setups to access Oracle.

> The tnsnames.ora file has already been copied from the NT server to the Linux
> box. Running Net8 on the Linux box shows the items in the tnsnames.ora file.
> Having the tnsnames.ora file is not enough.

> The problem is with the OS Authentication that the NT server is doing. I need
> to be "logged in" to the network (a particular domain). I think that I can use
> the smbmount and/or the smbclient to do the login. I have used these commands
> to access files in windows shares on the network. I can't try this until
> Monday. I believe when I tried to use sqlplus I wasn't logged into the Windows
> network. Can anyone confirm that this will work? I need to get the OS
> authentication on the NT server side to work when I start sqlplus.

> Rick Bilonick

> > You need to setup a tnsnames.ora file on the Linux box to describe the
> > connection
> > to the oracle database. Generally the tnslistener on the Oracle box has a
> > port at 1521 setup.  Check for the tnsnames.ora on the NT platform and make
> > the Linux box look similar. Make sure the NT platform has support for
> > TCP/IP enables.

> > Oracle is great but not easy for a first time setup.

> > > I need to access an Oracle data base that (unfortunately) resides on an
> > > NT server. I have set up sqlplus on Linux (from Oracle 8i for Linux). I
> > > can get to the windows network (using smbclient and smbmount). I have an
> > > NT logon id and password that work (I tested them on an NT box and I use
> > > them with smbclient and smbmount) and can get to the data base by typing

> > > Unfortunately I cannot get this to work from the Linux box. Somehow I
> > > need to login to the windows network (so that windows sees my id and
> > > password). I think I need to install Samba to set up the login but am
> > > not sure. (I have smbclient and smbmount without having installed
> > > Samba.)

> > > I can ping the server (using it's name) and everything else seems to be
> > > working just fine.

> > > Any information would be greatly appreciated.

> > > Rick

> > > --

> --

> Statistical Consulting for Business & Industry
> "Where statistics help is as close as the Internet."
> http://www.nauticom.net/usrs/rab/

Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

Post by Dave Shiel » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 01:56:50

CHeck the protocol entry.  I have no problem going the other way. nt-> linux.
Youo need to have an entry in the nt box that looks something like like this:
<oracle_sid> =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (HS = OK)
    (SOURCE_ROUTE = OFF)
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <oracle_host>)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = <SID or service name>)
      (ORACLE_HOME = <full path to oracle home durectory>)
      (SRVR = DEDICATED)
    )
  )
Note the protocol = TCP entry. I believe on NT you need to have the listener
service registered and running also.  With a TCP listener on the 1521 port and
a client on the linux box the only authentication that will take place is the
DB authentication.  If I remember right, be carcul about CASE on all NT stuff.

Post by Dave Shiel » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 01:57:38

[...]

If this doesn't help,  will ask my buddy that is running a NT server how he gets
UNIX boxes to connect.

> The tnsnames.ora file has already been copied from the NT server to the Linux
> box. Running Net8 on the Linux box shows the items in the tnsnames.ora file.
> Having the tnsnames.ora file is not enough.

> The problem is with the OS Authentication that the NT server is doing. I need
> to be "logged in" to the network (a particular domain). I think that I can use
> the smbmount and/or the smbclient to do the login. I have used these commands
> to access files in windows shares on the network. I can't try this until
> Monday. I believe when I tried to use sqlplus I wasn't logged into the Windows
> network. Can anyone confirm that this will work? I need to get the OS
> authentication on the NT server side to work when I start sqlplus.

> Rick Bilonick

> > You need to setup a tnsnames.ora file on the Linux box to describe the
> > connection
> > to the oracle database. Generally the tnslistener on the Oracle box has a
> > port at 1521 setup.  Check for the tnsnames.ora on the NT platform and make
> > the Linux box look similar. Make sure the NT platform has support for
> > TCP/IP enables.

> > Oracle is great but not easy for a first time setup.

> > > I need to access an Oracle data base that (unfortunately) resides on an
> > > NT server. I have set up sqlplus on Linux (from Oracle 8i for Linux). I
> > > can get to the windows network (using smbclient and smbmount). I have an
> > > NT logon id and password that work (I tested them on an NT box and I use
> > > them with smbclient and smbmount) and can get to the data base by typing

> > > Unfortunately I cannot get this to work from the Linux box. Somehow I
> > > need to login to the windows network (so that windows sees my id and
> > > password). I think I need to install Samba to set up the login but am
> > > not sure. (I have smbclient and smbmount without having installed
> > > Samba.)

> > > I can ping the server (using it's name) and everything else seems to be
> > > working just fine.

> > > Any information would be greatly appreciated.

> > > Rick

> > > --

> --

> Statistical Consulting for Business & Industry
> "Where statistics help is as close as the Internet."
> http://www.nauticom.net/usrs/rab/

Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

Post by Richard A. Bilonic » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 07:53:59

Dave,

I have TCP/IP working. I can ping the server with the data base. As I said, my
tnsnames.ora file was copied from the NT box. Oracle is up and running on the NT
box and I can login from an NT box. TCP/IP is setup in the tnsnames.ora file.

The question is, how do I login from the Linux box so that the NT server will do
the proper authentication so I can use sqlplus to connect to the database.

Thanks.

Rick Bilonick

> CHeck the protocol entry.  I have no problem going the other way. nt-> linux.
> Youo need to have an entry in the nt box that looks something like like this:
> <oracle_sid> =
>   (DESCRIPTION =
>     (HS = OK)
>     (SOURCE_ROUTE = OFF)
>     (ADDRESS_LIST =
>       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <oracle_host>)(PORT = 1521))
>     )
>     (CONNECT_DATA =
>       (SERVICE_NAME = <SID or service name>)
>       (ORACLE_HOME = <full path to oracle home durectory>)
>       (SRVR = DEDICATED)
>     )
>   )
> Note the protocol = TCP entry. I believe on NT you need to have the listener
> service registered and running also.  With a TCP listener on the 1521 port and
> a client on the linux box the only authentication that will take place is the
> DB authentication.  If I remember right, be carcul about CASE on all NT stuff.

> If this doesn't help,  will ask my buddy that is running a NT server how he gets
> UNIX boxes to connect.

> > The tnsnames.ora file has already been copied from the NT server to the Linux
> > box. Running Net8 on the Linux box shows the items in the tnsnames.ora file.
> > Having the tnsnames.ora file is not enough.

> > The problem is with the OS Authentication that the NT server is doing. I need
> > to be "logged in" to the network (a particular domain). I think that I can use
> > the smbmount and/or the smbclient to do the login. I have used these commands
> > to access files in windows shares on the network. I can't try this until
> > Monday. I believe when I tried to use sqlplus I wasn't logged into the Windows
> > network. Can anyone confirm that this will work? I need to get the OS
> > authentication on the NT server side to work when I start sqlplus.

> > Rick Bilonick

> > > You need to setup a tnsnames.ora file on the Linux box to describe the
> > > connection
> > > to the oracle database. Generally the tnslistener on the Oracle box has a
> > > port at 1521 setup.  Check for the tnsnames.ora on the NT platform and make
> > > the Linux box look similar. Make sure the NT platform has support for
> > > TCP/IP enables.

> > > Oracle is great but not easy for a first time setup.

> > --

> > Statistical Consulting for Business & Industry
> > "Where statistics help is as close as the Internet."
> > http://www.nauticom.net/usrs/rab/

--

Statistical Consulting for Business & Industry
"Where statistics help is as close as the Internet."
http://www.nauticom.net/usrs/rab/

Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

Post by Dave Shiel » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 10:48:10

I guess I wasn't clear. The NT box needs to have a listener configured for TCP.
1) Please look at the section of the tnsnames.ora I sent.
2) the linux box need ot have an oracle client installed like sqlplus
3) the tnsnames on the linux box must have a tnsnames.ora to define the
connection to oracle.

Does your tnsnames.ora on both look similar to the enclosed file?

If so you should be able to start sqlplus and get an oracle error back. that
would help.

Also on the NT box do a netstat -an and look for the oracle listener at
presumable 1521.

> Dave,

> I have TCP/IP working. I can ping the server with the data base. As I said, my
> tnsnames.ora file was copied from the NT box. Oracle is up and running on the NT
> box and I can login from an NT box. TCP/IP is setup in the tnsnames.ora file.

> The question is, how do I login from the Linux box so that the NT server will do
> the proper authentication so I can use sqlplus to connect to the database.

> Thanks.

> Rick Bilonick

> > CHeck the protocol entry.  I have no problem going the other way. nt-> linux.
> > Youo need to have an entry in the nt box that looks something like like this:
> > <oracle_sid> =
> >   (DESCRIPTION =
> >     (HS = OK)
> >     (SOURCE_ROUTE = OFF)
> >     (ADDRESS_LIST =
> >       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <oracle_host>)(PORT = 1521))
> >     )
> >     (CONNECT_DATA =
> >       (SERVICE_NAME = <SID or service name>)
> >       (ORACLE_HOME = <full path to oracle home durectory>)
> >       (SRVR = DEDICATED)
> >     )
> >   )
> > Note the protocol = TCP entry. I believe on NT you need to have the listener
> > service registered and running also.  With a TCP listener on the 1521 port and
> > a client on the linux box the only authentication that will take place is the
> > DB authentication.  If I remember right, be carcul about CASE on all NT stuff.

> > If this doesn't help,  will ask my buddy that is running a NT server how he gets
> > UNIX boxes to connect.

> > > The tnsnames.ora file has already been copied from the NT server to the Linux
> > > box. Running Net8 on the Linux box shows the items in the tnsnames.ora file.
> > > Having the tnsnames.ora file is not enough.

> > > The problem is with the OS Authentication that the NT server is doing. I need
> > > to be "logged in" to the network (a particular domain). I think that I can use
> > > the smbmount and/or the smbclient to do the login. I have used these commands
> > > to access files in windows shares on the network. I can't try this until
> > > Monday. I believe when I tried to use sqlplus I wasn't logged into the Windows
> > > network. Can anyone confirm that this will work? I need to get the OS
> > > authentication on the NT server side to work when I start sqlplus.

> > > Rick Bilonick

> > > --

> > > Statistical Consulting for Business & Industry
> > > "Where statistics help is as close as the Internet."
> > > http://www.nauticom.net/usrs/rab/

> --

> Statistical Consulting for Business & Industry
> "Where statistics help is as close as the Internet."
> http://www.nauticom.net/usrs/rab/

1. Accessing ORACLE DB from Linux with TCL

Hi,

is there a possibility to access an ORACLE database from Linux using
TCL/TK? I know that on AIX, Solaris, ... there's oratcl, an enhancement
for TCL to connect to the database. But you have to have a library from
ORACLE that is linked to it (as far as I know).

2 questions:

        1. Is that library available for Linux, too ?
        2. Is there another way to access the ORACLE database from TCL ?

Thanks for any help.

        Ralf.

--
#  Ralf Schneider

#    Telefon:      0711-9930260
#    Fax:          0711-9930261

2. Where can I get nmap for Linux?

3. Apache/WinNT: Oracle DB of usernames to authenticate Website access

4. How to delete files and dirs by age?

5. web access to oracle DB

6. How do i retreive signal using a function to check on the status of a process???

7. PHP on Linux: connection to an Oracle DB ?

8. mmap issues

9. Oracle 8 DB & Linux 6.0: mount points

10. DB access (ODBC?) from Linux client

11. Access dB's to Linux

12. SMP or uniprocessor for Oracle-DB under AIX?

13. How compile C++ file in solaris using Oracle DB?