Problems with ethereal and tcpdump

Post by Freddy Freeload » Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:56:02

Hi all,

This is probably a Debian bug, but I thought I'd throw this out here
and see if anyone else has seen this.

I just upgraded my Debian box from woody to sarge.  After I did I've
run into some problems with ethereal and tcpdump that seem to be
related.  Whenever I try to run tcpdump I get an error message stating
"get i f addrs: connection refused" and tcpdump aborts.  When I run
ethereal I get a similar problem.  When I attempt to choose an
interface from which to do a capture ethereal hangs at that point.

Anyone have any ideas as to a fix for this or where I can look further
to troubleshoot this?  I'm pretty much a Linux newbie so I'm kinda out
of my depth on this one as where all to go look.  I can find nothing
on Google related to the specific problems I'm having.

Problems with ethereal and tcpdump

Post by John Thompso » Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:08:41

Quote:> This is probably a Debian bug, but I thought I'd throw this out here
> and see if anyone else has seen this.

> I just upgraded my Debian box from woody to sarge.  After I did I've
> run into some problems with ethereal and tcpdump that seem to be
> related.  Whenever I try to run tcpdump I get an error message stating
> "get i f addrs: connection refused" and tcpdump aborts.  When I run
> ethereal I get a similar problem.  When I attempt to choose an
> interface from which to do a capture ethereal hangs at that point.

> Anyone have any ideas as to a fix for this or where I can look further
> to troubleshoot this?  I'm pretty much a Linux newbie so I'm kinda out
> of my depth on this one as where all to go look.  I can find nothing
> on Google related to the specific problems I'm having.

Are you running ethereal/tcpdump as "root"?  If not, that may be your
problem.

--

Problems with ethereal and tcpdump

Post by Ho In Seo » Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:50:56

This is Test text.
I'm sorry.

Quote:> Hi all,

> This is probably a Debian bug, but I thought I'd throw this out here
> and see if anyone else has seen this.

> I just upgraded my Debian box from woody to sarge.  After I did I've
> run into some problems with ethereal and tcpdump that seem to be
> related.  Whenever I try to run tcpdump I get an error message stating
> "get i f addrs: connection refused" and tcpdump aborts.  When I run
> ethereal I get a similar problem.  When I attempt to choose an
> interface from which to do a capture ethereal hangs at that point.

> Anyone have any ideas as to a fix for this or where I can look further
> to troubleshoot this?  I'm pretty much a Linux newbie so I'm kinda out
> of my depth on this one as where all to go look.  I can find nothing
> on Google related to the specific problems I'm having.

1. tcpdump/ethereal and HTTPS

Hi,

Is there any possible ways to capture HTTP messages over HTTPS?
Conceptually I know the HTTPS is a SSL link with public or private
certification key. Suppose I am using firefox to browsing https
website, so it is possible I take the key from the firefox and then
input them to the network analyze tools such as tcpdump and ethereal.

I want to know how to do it?

And if the answer is no, how can the developer to debug the protocol
over SSL?

Thanks in advance!

Bin

2. Root shell disease

3. comparing sniffer tools (tcpdump, ethereal, etherape, ethercap, drifnet)

4. Keyboard layout in Xfree86 4.0.1

5. Where to get tcpdump, ethereal, Xpm, gcc...

6. CDROM problem in Gnome

7. tcpdump/ethereal syntax

8. Help: Save Name In File

9. Can't launch ethereal--- bash: ethereal: command not found

10. Problem with TCPDUMP ( it says : "tcpdump: socket: Invalid argument" ??!!

11. Matrox Mystique ands X.

12. ethereal problem