Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

Post by Robert L. Dawso » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I work for a systems integrator. We do alot of Windows installs,
currently using the DSP preinstall boot floppys to load off the cd-rom
drives in the computers we ship. Easy enough and the PBFs make for a
smooth, automated install.

I would like to up the ante a bit and instead use the little P133 Linux
box I built from spares to serve up disk images of the Windows install
media so that the machines could install off the network. I know I could
do this easily with another network setup, i.e. NetWare, but I would
rather use Linux. My question then is this, what is the easiest and
cheapest way for me to connect a PC in real mode to a Linux box?

The software portion for the target PCs needs to be as small as
possible, hopefully taking up less than 400k or so of disk space,
executable from config.sys and autoexec.bat, and scriptable so that the
login can be automated. Suggestions anyone? Please throw them at me. I
was thinking about trying NFS or Samba but was not sure about the cost
and availability of client software for DOS. Thanks in advance.

Rob D.

Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

Post by Richard Slob » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[posted and mailed]

[ . . . ]

Quote:>I would like to up the ante a bit and instead use the little P133 Linux
>box I built from spares to serve up disk images of the Windows install
>media so that the machines could install off the network. I know I could
>do this easily with another network setup, i.e. NetWare, but I would
>rather use Linux. My question then is this, what is the easiest and
>cheapest way for me to connect a PC in real mode to a Linux box?

>The software portion for the target PCs needs to be as small as
>possible, hopefully taking up less than 400k or so of disk space,
>executable from config.sys and autoexec.bat, and scriptable so that the
>login can be automated. Suggestions anyone? Please throw them at me. I
>was thinking about trying NFS or Samba but was not sure about the cost
>and availability of client software for DOS. Thanks in advance.

Microsoft has a free DOS network client on their FTP site at
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/Clients/MSCLIENT/ ; it should be
compatible with Samba and fulfills most of your requirements but it
overshoots the 400K limitation by quite a bit (I believe a full
install takes up almost an entire floppy; I'm not sure what it could
be stripped down to, but I expect it would still be rather more than
400K).

Another alternative would be to run mars_nwe or lwared on the Linux
box (these both emulate a NetWare server) and run Novell's (much
smaller) NetWare client.  The DOS NetWare clients can be downloaded
from Novell's website, although there may be licensing issues if you
don't have a licensed copy of NetWare.

1. Passwd Server for Win-NT,95,98 & Linux

Hi!

I want to set up a small network in our house with a Linux server and 7
clients. The clients run NT, Win95, Win98 and of course Linux.

Is it possible to set up the Linux Server as a "password server" for all
the machines? I want to use the Samba package for sharing printers on
the server and for mounting the users home directory. What's the best
solution for pwd administration in such a network?

Is there a way to disable or restrict access when logging in on other NT
or Win machines in the net with user passwords?

Thanks a lot for your help&tips

Roland

PS: please reply in a "simple, understandable" way because i'm a
linux-beginner and i' just starting to get familiar with Linux (but i
love it more every day...)

2. Any limitation on dhcpd leases?

3. Linux as the file and internet server with win NT/95/98 clients

4. anyone can tell me some good book about C++ development on Xwindow ?

5. DOS / Win(95/98) shell emulators

6. 2.2.5-3.0 File system compatibility

7. Connecting Windows NT and Win 95/98 to SCO 5.0.4

8. Shell Scripting

9. FIX for problems connecting 95/98/NT to Samba servers

10. X server for Win 95 /98

11. Samba / Win 95 / Win 98 Encryption

12. Looking for a good X Client for Win 95/98 to talk to my Linux box.

13. cannot connect to linux server with win 98