PPP Connection problem

Post by GodMa » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:20:18

Good Morning,
I've got Red Hat 7.0 and such problem:
I'm connecting to the Internet using a PPP sial-up server.
Modem is dialing number than authenticating, than I can see pppd daemon
started and GNOME Dial-up configurator's dialing window doesn't want to
disappear and finish connecting...
In my /var/log/messages I can see that everything is alright, I can see that
access for me is permitted and I can see my remote IP etc. But than is
strange string:
Terminating on signal 15
What can I do?
Thanks in advance

PPP Connection problem

Post by Birger Toedtman » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:46:16

GodMan schrieb:

Quote:> Good Morning,
> I've got Red Hat 7.0 and such problem:
> I'm connecting to the Internet using a PPP sial-up server.
> Modem is dialing number than authenticating, than I can see pppd daemon
> started and GNOME Dial-up configurator's dialing window doesn't want to
> disappear and finish connecting...
> In my /var/log/messages I can see that everything is alright, I can see that
> access for me is permitted and I can see my remote IP etc. But than is
> strange string:
> Terminating on signal 15
> What can I do?

See /usr/include/asm/signal.h. It states that "signal 15" means
"SIGTERM" which is under unix a normal program exit.

Did you configure your idle timeout properly? It seems as if you
dialed up correctly but your program simply thinks its finished and
closes the connection accordingly. Reason may be an exiting
gnome app which started your pppd or a pppd that has no proper
idle timeout set ("oh, 1 sec online, no packet - then hangup!").

Regards,

--
  Birger T?dtmann
  Handwerker fr elektronische Netzwerke und deren Dienste

PPP Connection problem

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 03:08:11

]Good Morning,
]I've got Red Hat 7.0 and such problem:
]I'm connecting to the Internet using a PPP sial-up server.
]Modem is dialing number than authenticating, than I can see pppd daemon
]started and GNOME Dial-up configurator's dialing window doesn't want to
]disappear and finish connecting...
]In my /var/log/messages I can see that everything is alright, I can see that
]access for me is permitted and I can see my remote IP etc. But than is
]strange string:
]Terminating on signal 15
]What can I do?

Turn on debugging to see what is happening.
place
debug
into /etc/ppp/options
Place
daemon.*;local2.*                       /var/log/ppplog
into /etc/syslog.conf and do
killall -1 syslogd

PPP Connection problem

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:10:57

> What can I do?

Post exact copies of the log messages while using the pppd debug and
chat -v options, including timestamps.

--

/*  The generation of random numbers is too important to be left
    to chance.  */