A little newbie help... seeing Win95 shares in Linux

A little newbie help... seeing Win95 shares in Linux

Post by Brian Newma » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a Win95 box and a Linux box ethernetted together.  I have Samba up and
running on Linux and I can share the Samba shares from Win95 with no problem.
When I try to access one of the shares on the Win95 box from the Linux box, I
get a message that RPC can't make a connection.

This is when trying "mount -t nfs win95box:/c /mnt/win95box/c".  Is that right?
I've tried "smbclient \\win95box\c" in just about every syntax I can and
smbclient always tells me there aren't enough "\" in the parameter.  How many do
I need to put in and where?

I checked out "man rpc", which tells me to run "rpc client foo bar" to engage
the RPC client.  Okay, but... the executable "rpc" is in my /sbin/init.d
directory, and its only options are "rpc start" and "rpc stop", and it doesn't
seem to help.

Any hints?

--------------------
Shade and sweet water,

"A small bullet, a piece of glass /
 And your heart just grows around it" -- Laurie Anderson, "Poison"

A little newbie help... seeing Win95 shares in Linux

Post by Brian Newma » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>No.  nfs is for mounting other UNIX shares.  It's a different program
>entirely.
>You want to use smbmount.

That did it, thanks!

--------------------

Post by Ben Sandle » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have a Win95 box and a Linux box ethernetted together.  I have Samba up and
> running on Linux and I can share the Samba shares from Win95 with no problem.
> When I try to access one of the shares on the Win95 box from the Linux box, I
> get a message that RPC can't make a connection.

> This is when trying "mount -t nfs win95box:/c /mnt/win95box/c".  Is that right?

No.  nfs is for mounting other UNIX shares.  It's a different program
entirely.
You want to use smbmount.

Quote:> I've tried "smbclient \\win95box\c" in just about every syntax I can and
> smbclient always tells me there aren't enough "\" in the parameter.  How many do
> I need to put in and where?

smbclient is for looking at the share.  smbmount is for actually
mounting it.  You don't have enough slashes because backslashes ("\")
must be escaped.  You do that by preceding it with a backslash, so \
would be \\.  But no matter, because you can use forward slashes.  So,
smbmount //win95box/c will do the trick.

Quote:

> I checked out "man rpc", which tells me to run "rpc client foo bar" to engage
> the RPC client.  Okay, but... the executable "rpc" is in my /sbin/init.d
> directory, and its only options are "rpc start" and "rpc stop", and it doesn't
> seem to help.

rpc is nfs stuff.  Don't worry about it.

Hope that helps,
- Ben

--
Ben Sandler
email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu

"Windows is an operating system, not a religion."
- Ted Waitt, chairman of Gateway

A little newbie help... seeing Win95 shares in Linux

Post by Ben Sandle » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have a Win95 box and a Linux box ethernetted together.  I have Samba up and
> running on Linux and I can share the Samba shares from Win95 with no problem.
> When I try to access one of the shares on the Win95 box from the Linux box, I
> get a message that RPC can't make a connection.

> This is when trying "mount -t nfs win95box:/c /mnt/win95box/c".  Is that right?

No.  nfs is for mounting other UNIX shares.  It's a different program
entirely.
You want to use smbmount.

Quote:> I've tried "smbclient \\win95box\c" in just about every syntax I can and
> smbclient always tells me there aren't enough "\" in the parameter.  How many do
> I need to put in and where?

smbclient is for looking at the share.  smbmount is for actually
mounting it.  You don't have enough slashes because backslashes ("\")
must be escaped.  You do that by preceding it with a backslash, so \
would be \\.  But no matter, because you can use forward slashes.  So,
smbmount //win95box/c will do the trick.

Quote:

> I checked out "man rpc", which tells me to run "rpc client foo bar" to engage
> the RPC client.  Okay, but... the executable "rpc" is in my /sbin/init.d
> directory, and its only options are "rpc start" and "rpc stop", and it doesn't
> seem to help.

rpc is nfs stuff.  Don't worry about it.

Hope that helps,
- Ben

> Any hints?

> --------------------
> Shade and sweet water,

> "A small bullet, a piece of glass /
>  And your heart just grows around it" -- Laurie Anderson, "Poison"

--
Ben Sandler
email me: sandler at ymail dot yu dot edu

"Windows is an operating system, not a religion."
- Ted Waitt, chairman of Gateway

1. Seeing Win95 shares on SCO server

I have a SCO (5.0.2) server connected (through TCP/IP, 10base-T, and
a hub) to several Win95 clients via PC-Enterprise. The clients see
the server in their neighborhood, which is wonderful. But, I would
like to see (so that I can do central backups) the Win95 shared
directories on the SCO server.

Several approaches have come to mind:

1)  Load NFS server software on the clients, and mount them on SCO's
NFS tree.

2)  Find and install SAMBA.

3)  VisionFS.

4)  Advanced File and Print Server.

Can anyone comment on the relative merits of these approaches? If
more system info is relevant/helpful, I would be happy to supply it.

Thanks in advance!

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, CNE

Economic Group Pension Services         http://egps.com

2. LILO doesn't load at all

3. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

4. kudzu (hardware detection)

5. Little help w/Linux install on new drive in Win95 PC

6. Test

7. //HELP// Seeing Linux under DOS/Win95 ??

8. How to setup mail server?

9. HELP: Win95 Sees CD, Linux hangs waiting for CD ready when booting.

10. can't see Win95 shares through Linux to Win95 network

11. linux newbie asking for a little help\advice

12. Linux newbie needs a little help...

13. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp