Linux Router or Cisco Router for Small Office Internet Line

Linux Router or Cisco Router for Small Office Internet Line

Post by Phillip J. Alle » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 05:06:06

Hi all,

I am in charge of a small office (10-15 people) and we want to install a
dedicated line for internet use.  I was thinking about taking an old
Pentium 100Mhz 64MB RAM 1GB HHD and install Linux and configure it up to
be a router between the network and the out side world.  Now down here
in Peru my other option is to rent a Cisco router for about US$70-80 per
month.

How much slower would a linux router be compared to a Cisco router?  Is
there any significant lack of performance for a linux router for our
small office?  Mony is not really a question.  I was really just trying
to save money and put linux & an old computer to work.

Any comment will be appreciated on the pros and cons.

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist/Geologist
Lima Peru

Linux Router or Cisco Router for Small Office Internet Line

Post by Robert Marshal » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 07:40:12

Routing throughput is typically not an issue for a Pentium-based Linux
machine for bandwidth of less than a couple of megabits/sec. Instead, your
concerns should be: 1) the ports available on each platform and 2) firewall
functions.

PC's usually do not have the high-speed serial ports that even low-end Cisco
units usually come with. Depending on the nature of your "WAN" interface,
going with a Cisco unit might simplify things a great deal.

Depending on your specific requirements, you may need more precise control
over packet sources and destinations than a default Cisco arrangement may
allow, especially if you plan to route to/from the Internet. This would lead
you to either implement the Cisco PIX firewall software (not cheap) or the
more advanced firewalling functions of Linux, such as IP Masquerade, which
cost nothing extra.

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 00:20:41

> Hi all,

> I am in charge of a small office (10-15 people) and we want to install a
> dedicated line for internet use.  I was thinking about taking an old
> Pentium 100Mhz 64MB RAM 1GB HHD and install Linux and configure it up to
> be a router between the network and the out side world.  Now down here
> in Peru my other option is to rent a Cisco router for about US$70-80 per
> month.

> How much slower would a linux router be compared to a Cisco router?  Is
> there any significant lack of performance for a linux router for our
> small office?  Mony is not really a question.  I was really just trying
> to save money and put linux & an old computer to work.

> Any comment will be appreciated on the pros and cons.

> Phillip J. Allen
> Consulting Geochemist/Geologist
> Lima Peru

Hello,

I would use a cisco, the problem with the Linux solution is not, that it
can't be done, if setup
good, everything will be just as with the cisco or even better.

But you're depend on your *old PC hardware, which has many parts that
can and will fail, if the
internet connection does really matter for you, what if the cheap PC fails,
can you asure,
that it can be replaced in short time, or have you a fallback solution that
automagically switches the connection
to another server...

From my expirience with cisco: Not cheap, but probably configered you can
just forget that small green box in your
rack, it just works 24/7 ...:-)

The new "big" cisco models are IMHO running linux as it's OS.
The config files of cisco router (I know) are just plain text files as you
may be used to, from linux...:-)

Good luck

Michael Heiming

1. Suse Linux Router hinter Cisco Router ???

Ich denke das geh?rt nich ganz hierher, aber vielleicht wei? ja doch jemand
wie ich das machen kann.

Folgendes Problem:

Ich versuche einen lokalen Router mit SUSE Linux 7.1 zu konfigurieren. Im
Prinzip soll dieser Router vor dem eigentlichen Cisco-Router mit der
internen IP 192.168.128.1 stehen.

Es ist deshalb nicht notwendig die Bchse als FW zu konfigurieren. Sie soll
NUR alle ein/ausgehenden Pakete von eth0 nach eth1 und umgekehrt
weiterleiten. (Ich will die durchgehenden Pakete mitloggen)

Bisher ist mir das irgendwie nicht gelungen...

Das System tr?gt immer eine dumme default-route zum eth0 ein. Diese

ist in der route.conf nicht eingetragen. Selbst nach /etc/init.d/route stop
ist diese eine route noch vorhanden...

Hat vielleicht jemand nen Tipp bzw. nen Dokument wie ich das erreichen kann?

Gru? und Dank

Igor.

                         Internet

               Cisco-Router (mit IP:192.168.128.1 intern)

    SUSE-Linux 7.1 Router(soll in beide Richtungen durchl?ssig sein)

|--------------------|--------------------------|---------- ...
|                              |                                       |
...                    Internes Netz                        ......

2. AfterStep Problem cont.

3. Cisco router or Linux router ?

4. Multia, Pre7, IDE problems

5. GRE Tunnelling between Linux and Cisco routers [A small HOWTO]

6. daylight saving on Linux

7. router configuration of a cisco router

8. data recovery HOWTO?

9. Cisco Router/OpenBSD router firewall setup

10. Small, Quiet, Cheap computer to run linux as Internet router

11. Best DSL/Cable router on the market for small home office?

12. Linux/Win2K Server As A Router vs. Linksys Router (BEFSR41)

13. linux router Vs Linksys Router