How to enable core dumps from root on Linux

How to enable core dumps from root on Linux

Post by Paul J. Rede » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I am trying to debug an app that starts as root and changes to another (less
privileged) userid. The app is core dumping but not generating a core file.
Is this simply a matter of mucking with ulimit? I have been led to believe
that Linux doesn't like dumping core from root (for security reasons) even if
it has since changed id. Is this true?

I could really use some help on this. I have scoured the newsgroups, how-tos,
and web pages without anything definitive.

Paul J. Reder
citizen to defend it.  Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do
-- Albert Einstein

1. how to enable core dump in linux(Suse)

Hi,
   I am not sure whether this is the right place, but I need to know how
to enable core dump in linux. As far as I can get , I need to change
some configuration file. So I need to know which file and property. and
do I need to restart the system to enable the dumps.
TIA
--
cheerio,
       Koushik.

//
// << The idea expressed above are only of mine, and doesnot >>
// << represent that of my employer implicitly/explicitly    >>

2. Inherent Wackiness in Any Movement

3. dump core or not dump core

4. locate not working...

5. core dumps core dumps everywhere...

6. openbsd ffs

7. Enabling core dumps in child processes

8. Linux META-FAQ

9. CORE DUMPS: How to Generate/Enable ?

10. Enabling core dumps for setuid programs

11. Enabling full core dumps...

12. enabling core dumps

13. enabling core dumps in tcsh (newbie)