Root-Login on Telnet

Post by Jan R?hric » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

My Redhat 6.2 doesn't allow root-login on telnet! What have I to change,
that it works?

Jan Roehrich

Root-Login on Telnet

Post by Desmond Coughl » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> My Redhat 6.2 doesn't allow root-login on telnet! What have I to change,
> that it works?

<sigh>

Why does everyone want to enable root logins via telnet ?  It's a huge
security hole ... create a normal user, login as that user, and then
run su -

HTH.

--
Desmond Coughlan    Network Engineer    Forum des Images    Paris    France
The views expressed in these articles are my own, and do not necessarily

Root-Login on Telnet

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 13:33:06 +0200, Jan R?hrich said:

Quote:>My Redhat 6.2 doesn't allow root-login on telnet! What have I to change,
>that it works?

Download and install OpenSSH (find it at http://freshmeat.net).

Alternatively, add some pseudo-terminal entries to /etc/securetty and
allow everyone to try cracking your root password.

Robie.
--

Root-Login on Telnet

Post by Bill Mosele » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

remarked...

> > My Redhat 6.2 doesn't allow root-login on telnet! What have I to change,
> > that it works?

> <sigh>

> Why does everyone want to enable root logins via telnet ?  It's a huge
> security hole ... create a normal user, login as that user, and then
> run su -

run su and then see your root password sent in plain text over the
network.

Kill telnet, run ssh.

--
Bill Moseley

Root-Login on Telnet

Post by Desmond Coughl » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > > My Redhat 6.2 doesn't allow root-login on telnet! What have I to change,
> > > that it works?
> > Why does everyone want to enable root logins via telnet ?  It's a huge
> > security hole ... create a normal user, login as that user, and then
> > run su -
> run su and then see your root password sent in plain text over the
> network.

> Kill telnet, run ssh.

Too true ... I do run it.  :-)

--

Post by an.. » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> My Redhat 6.2 doesn't allow root-login on telnet! What have I to change,
> that it works?

Linux or for that matter other flavours of Unix ( all ?) do not
allow U to login as root. So its not the problem with Redhat as such.
Rather a feature ;-)

In case, U really want this feature U can do the following:-
1) rlogin -l root foobar.machine.urs with root added in Ur .rhosts
2) ssh -l root foobar.machine.urs
3) Add the tty on which U want the root to login in /etc/securetty on
Ur machine foobar.machine.urs
hth, ankur

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Root-Login on Telnet

Post by smilemonke » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone has any idea regrading to the following question.
I am running NIS by ypserv 1.3.11 and ypbind 3.3. on linux

1. passwd: Permission denied whenever I try to change the password in
the client site.  The rpc.yppasswdd in running on server and the r/w
previlegy belongs to root.

2. How to setup for a user can still log in at client machine when the
server is dead?  Same shell, same home directory.

Thanks!

Sam

http://www.ssh.org/

Root-Login on Telnet

Post by Ken Johnso » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> what's ssh ?
> how it function ?
> thxthx

http://www.ssh/org/

Root-Login on Telnet

Post by Bass¨D|?a » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

what's ssh ?
how it function ?
thxthx

> > > Why does everyone want to enable root logins via telnet ?  It's a huge
> > > security hole ... create a normal user, login as that user, and then
> > > run su -

> > run su and then see your root password sent in plain text over the
> > network.

> > Kill telnet, run ssh.

> Too true ... I do run it.  :-)

> --
> Desmond Coughlan    Network Engineer    Forum des Images    Paris
France

Quote:> The views expressed in these articles are my own, and do not necessarily
> reflect the views of the Forum des Images.

http://www.forumdesimages.net/

------

Root-Login on Telnet

Post by figm » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I am having trouble with the wget timeout parameter.  I'm not sure if
it's something wierd with the URL I am using to test with - or if this
parameter just plain don't work in wget.  I've tried this...

wget -T 5 http:/ /24.12.130.194/HTMZ-24/billy1.htm

and this...

wget --timeout=5 http:// 24.12.130.194/HTMZ-24/billy1.htm

But no matter what number I enter in for a timeout - it always hangs
for about 15 minutes trying to connect to this site.  The info page
says the default is 900 seconds.  I can set the number of retries with
the -t parameter and that works - but even 1 retry with a 15 minute
timeout is too long for this app.

I am using wget as a way to validate web links and I can't have my
application* up for 15 minutes everytime it hits a bad link.

BTW - the link I am using for testing (shown above) is a known bad
link.  It is an example if the kind of thing I am trying to weed out of
my application.

Any thoughts on this?

-figmo

Before you buy.

1. Can root login via telnet? How?

Hello!

I have a linux firewall running with no monitor, so I need to log into the
box externally to do administration. I could hook up a dumb terminal to do it
or I could log in via the local network. However that is extremely tedious
because I can't log in directly as root.

Is there a way to log in as root instead of using su all the time?

Thanks, Rudolf

--

2. Oops in 2.4.20-rc2 cdn...

3. telnet login as root

4. Which is faster?

5. root login over telnet

6. HELP! Can't boot to login screen...

7. dselect ftp errors; PPP 2x slower than Win 95; root telnet login

8. sleeping + 72% CPU at same time

9. login to telnet session as root?

10. Telnet Root Login with Caldera

11. Telnet - Root Can't Login

12. login to telnet session as root?

13. can't login as "root" from the lan or telnet