NE2000 Clone Question

Post by Matthew Bancro » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Im having problems with RedHat Linux 4 (Colgate), kernel 2.0.18,
autodetecting my either of my ISA ne2000 clones. Ive got one ethernet card
at

IRQ=10 Base Port Address=0x300

and another at

IRQ=15 Base Port Address=0x340

From my understanding, linux probes 0x300,0x280,0x320,0x340,0x360 during
startup for NE2000 clones. Ive successfully gotten these cards
to work under FreeBSD,BSDI,NT3.5/4,windoze95, so i know the cards will
function properly if the right drivers are present.

Ive tried adding

reserve=0x300,32
ether=10,0x300,eth0

to the /etc/lilo.conf but still the cards appear not to be recognized.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might get one of these cards
recognized?

Matt Bancroft

NE2000 Clone Question

Post by Marty » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Im having problems with RedHat Linux 4 (Colgate), kernel 2.0.18,
> autodetecting my either of my ISA ne2000 clones. Ive got one ethernet card
> at

> IRQ=10 Base Port Address=0x300

> and another at

> IRQ=15 Base Port Address=0x340

> From my understanding, linux probes 0x300,0x280,0x320,0x340,0x360 during
> startup for NE2000 clones. Ive successfully gotten these cards
> to work under FreeBSD,BSDI,NT3.5/4,windoze95, so i know the cards will
> function properly if the right drivers are present.

> Ive tried adding

> reserve=0x300,32
> ether=10,0x300,eth0

> to the /etc/lilo.conf but still the cards appear not to be recognized.

> Does anyone have any suggestions how I might get one of these cards
> recognized?

First make sure you have NE2000 support in te kernel.
Then try this at the LILO: prompt:
linux ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=15,0x340,eth1
If this works you should add a line
append="ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=15,0x340,eth1"
to the /etc/lilo.conf file.

> Matt Bancroft

Bye,

--

Marty.

NE2000 Clone Question

Post by Gregory Wee » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Im having problems with RedHat Linux 4 (Colgate), kernel 2.0.18,
>autodetecting my either of my ISA ne2000 clones. Ive got one ethernet card

I don't know if this might have anything do do with your problem or not, but
if you have the ne2000 support in a module it does not autoprobe. I'm not sure
if Red Hat has the ne2000 in the kernel or in a module. I can't remember where
I needed to set the port/irq with slakware as it was several months ago. I hope
this helps.

Greg weeks

NE2000 Clone Question

Post by bill davids » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

| Im having problems with RedHat Linux 4 (Colgate), kernel 2.0.18,
| autodetecting my either of my ISA ne2000 clones. Ive got one ethernet card
| at
|
| IRQ=10 Base Port Address=0x300
|
| and another at
|
| IRQ=15 Base Port Address=0x340
|
| From my understanding, linux probes 0x300,0x280,0x320,0x340,0x360 during
| startup for NE2000 clones. Ive successfully gotten these cards
| to work under FreeBSD,BSDI,NT3.5/4,windoze95, so i know the cards will
| function properly if the right drivers are present.

Linux typically only probes until it finds the first card, so you
probably have to put the info for both on the startup line. And as a
note, I assume you're running SCSI rather than sharing IRQ15 between
ide1 and a nic.
--

  What do you mean I shouldn't do thing like that at my age?
  At my age if you don't do things like that you might die of natural causes!

NE2000 Clone Question

Post by Lane Smi » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Linux typically only probes until it finds the first card, so you
>probably have to put the info for both on the startup line. And as a
>note, I assume you're running SCSI rather than sharing IRQ15 between
>ide1 and a nic.

Some people on the Red Hat list recommend compiling driver support
directly into the kernel vice using modules if you have multiple
cards. FWIW.

NE2000 Clone Question

Post by Paul Gortmak » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Im having problems with RedHat Linux 4 (Colgate), kernel 2.0.18,
>autodetecting my either of my ISA ne2000 clones. Ive got one ethernet card
>at
>IRQ=10 Base Port Address=0x300
>and another at
>IRQ=15 Base Port Address=0x340
>From my understanding, linux probes 0x300,0x280,0x320,0x340,0x360 during
>startup for NE2000 clones. Ive successfully gotten these cards

There is your answer. At startup, those addresses are probed
if the driver is built into the kernel. However, if the driver
is being used as a module, you need to tell it what i/o addresses
to probe. (You don't see the messages with RH 4 unless you hit ALT-F3
ror something like that to switch to the error VC.)

Quote:>to work under FreeBSD,BSDI,NT3.5/4,windoze95, so i know the cards will
>function properly if the right drivers are present.
>Ive tried adding
>reserve=0x300,32
>ether=10,0x300,eth0
>to the /etc/lilo.conf but still the cards appear not to be recognized.

That is the correct syntax if the driver is part of the kernel, but
it won't do anything for you if the driver is a module. For modules,
append "io=0x300,0x340" in your case.

Paul.

NE2000 Clone Question

Post by Jonathan Smi » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

lso, when the ne2000 driver is compiled as a module, it doesn't probe,
you have to tell it where to look.  Look at the Ethernet-HOWTO (usually
in /usr/doc/HOWTO) or find a new(er) version on the net.

: | Im having problems with RedHat Linux 4 (Colgate), kernel 2.0.18,
: | autodetecting my either of my ISA ne2000 clones. Ive got one ethernet card
: | at
: |
: | IRQ=10 Base Port Address=0x300
: |
: | and another at
: |
: | IRQ=15 Base Port Address=0x340
: |
: | From my understanding, linux probes 0x300,0x280,0x320,0x340,0x360 during
: | startup for NE2000 clones. Ive successfully gotten these cards
: | to work under FreeBSD,BSDI,NT3.5/4,windoze95, so i know the cards will
: | function properly if the right drivers are present.

: Linux typically only probes until it finds the first card, so you
: probably have to put the info for both on the startup line. And as a
: note, I assume you're running SCSI rather than sharing IRQ15 between
: ide1 and a nic.
: --

:   What do you mean I shouldn't do thing like that at my age?
:   At my age if you don't do things like that you might die of natural causes!

1. NE2000 CLONE

This is another repost.  Sorry, but no reply before...

Setup
---------
ancientone.home.org - 192.168.1.1 <- 486 DX2 running Win95
elderlyone.home.org  - 192.168.1.2 <- Intel 233 MMX LINUX 4.2 (2.0.35) +
Win95 Partition

I have recompiled kernel with Network Support built in.  I Pass ethernet
options to
kernel at boot: ether=11,0x300,eth0 (aside question:  Can these parameters
be included
in the lilo.conf file)

note:
------
I have connected these machines with NE2000 Clones with windows 95 (the
95 to 95 test).  Actually,I have only been able to view through Network
Neighborhood and ping from each machine.

Questions:
---------------
I have have been able to configure iobase and irq of the LINUX NIC
through a DOS configuration utility.
Not sure about some card settings:

1. Do I need 'Full Duplex'? (Can only use this setting if "medium" is set
for "auto-detect" ie.10Base2 etc..)

and

2. How about the BROM address?
I can configure this with the DOS program.  Should I? And what values do I
use.

My card is recognized at boot time and the device does get loaded.  I
verified that with dmesg.

Also, when I do an ifconfig, I see packets ARE TX'd but NOT RX'd.
that is, TX value is non-zero and RX value is zero.
3. DOES THIS MATTER?

4.  The green light on the NIC on the LINUX box is constant (on).  What
does this
mean?

Please, if you have any experience with any of these problems, share!

Thanks,

- Raimee

2. Paging Software (for developers)

3. 2.5.1 x86 & a NE2000 clone...

4. Bitmap questions

5. Cheap NE2000 clones?

6. nfs access for anonymous uid

7. Kernel 2.4.6 & NE2000 clones

8. Whats the latest version no. of Linux

9. Enabling promiscuous mode on NE2000 clone

10. TCP/IP with NE2000/NE2100 clone?

11. help installing ne2000 clone network card on red hat 6.0

12. ne2000 PCI clone: HW problem?

13. ne2000-pci clone is clown