Explanation needed of undocumented behavior of Ugate router

Explanation needed of undocumented behavior of Ugate router

Post by Larry Alkof » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:16:22

I have a Ugate router and it is connected to a mix of Linux Mandrake 8.0 and
Window 98 machines.

The default IP of the router is 192.168.0.1 (it can be changed).
Both the manual and Maxgate support insist that the router will
only NAT addresses in the range 192.168.0/24.

However, the big surprise is I changed my local lan address
to 192.168.1.x keeping the router gateway IP the same.
I can still connect to the Internet in the same way!!!

My guess is that the software mangles the last byte only
and just saves and restores the other 3.

This makes the router much more useful for the situation
where a Linux machine acts as a gateway computer with two nics.
It has to talk to the router on segment 0 but the Ugate router
will apparently happily NAT addresses routed to it (using route)
in the 192.168.1/24 range.

Maxgate support says they can't understand why this works!

Would you knowledgeable people comment on whether this is working
as I think.  Should I continue with it?  I know I could just do NAT in the
Linux box but I have already found out when the Linux box goes down
the network is still accessable when I just connect direct to the Ugate
router.

Larry Alkoff N2LA

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA
My address is:  larryalk is_at mindspring dot com

1. ./configure options explanation and behavior in general esp. PHP compilation

We r new to linux compilation and installation process. We have been
able to compile and install PHP successfully using the default options
as an apache DSO.

We are looking for more help/explanation on the various **type** of
options with the configuration script (./configure) like

--with-xxx
--with-yyy=DIR
--with-zzz=shared,DIR
--enable-aaaa
--disable-bbbb

These options have some *meaning in general* irrespective of the
module/extension in question -

for example, (just some data we have collected so far)
specifiying

--with-xxx means the code for this xxx module is available as part of
PHP source and will be compiled and included as part of main PHP
binary/lib OR may be the lib for this must be present on some path in
ur system and make will simply link it

OR

--with-yyy=DIR means the source for this extenstion IS NOT AVAILABLE
OR USED from the php source, and instead required from the respective
vendor or RPM. OR may be just the lib and headers are required which
is available as developer lib for the respective extension/module

OR

--enable-aaa means the code is always to PHP source but whether it
will be comnpiled or whether it will be enabled is governed by this
option

and so on .... and may be this is to do with general linux
configuration and build process, pls guide to the right tool or help
source.

Everywhere we read, we find to enable mysql use --with-mysql or
specify --with-mysql=/path/to/dir but not able to get full details of
what will happen in the build process behind the scenes, what will be
built and where and what is required from whom and where?

sorry if the question has some missing links or is not asked in the
right place, newbie problem :)

ne help and pointers are sincerely appreciated.

2. HP Printing Oddness

3. Need config info for IBM w/ undocumented monitor

4. Buslogic 445S & Solaris 2/x86?

5. Access to a novell server across a linux IP router (or needed I IPX router)

6. sed expression for truncating line length

7. UMAX UGate 3000 performance is terrible

8. Solaris 9 LDAP and Kerberos

9. Router - What do I need to make my Linux box into router

10. Need explanation of LCP_INTERVAL and computing PPPOE_TIMEOUT w/ RP-PPPoE

11. Need explanation of message in 3.2 ERRPT

12. Need ps -ef explanation

13. New to Linux, need help/explanation