printing postscript using 'LPR'

Post by Eric Trimme » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Would ANYBODY know what is happening here ?

I am unable to print postscript files to my printer when using
the 'LPR' command either at the shell prompt or from within a
program such as Netscape, Mosaic, or Ghostview. I have been able
to get 'GS' to convert a postscript file to a format my printer
understands. By using a command such as:

 'gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=tiger.ps tiger.epson'

 And I can print it. BUT ONLY if I log in as ROOT and use the
command:

'cat FILENAME > /dev/lp0'

If I try to print a postscript file or a converted file using
'LPR' or the above mentioned programs the output is just codes
and not a graphic. In my 'printcap' I do have a reference to an
input filter. The filter is:

'/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=-'

But 'LPR' just prints the codes ! Even on a converted file !

Totally bewildered,

--
   Eric Trimmer

printing postscript using 'LPR'

Post by David Kindre » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Look for a great program at sunsite.unc.edu called magicfilter.
It is a filter for LPR that 'intercepts' the file before going to the
printer, tries to figure out the type of file being printed, then calls
an appropriate program to format it for your printer.

David Kindred

Post by Geoff Alls » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Look for a great program at sunsite.unc.edu called magicfilter.
>It is a filter for LPR that 'intercepts' the file before going to the
>printer, tries to figure out the type of file being printed, then calls
>an appropriate program to format it for your printer.

>David Kindred

        apsfilter is another one, also good!

printing postscript using 'LPR'

Post by Johannes Beekhuiz » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello Eric,

 > 'LPR' or the above mentioned programs the output is just codes
 > and not a graphic. In my 'printcap' I do have a reference to an
 > input filter. The filter is:

 > '/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=-'

I'm using MagicFilter for determining the file types, and for PS my filter
rule is:

filter /usr/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=djet500 -sOutputFile=- -

Note the extra '-' at the end.  I'm not certain if that's the trick, but it
might be worth trying.

Regards,

           Hans.
--
 Fidonet:  Johannes Beekhuizen 2:281/554

 The Wizard from the Dunes,  Katwijk ZH (NL)

1. printing postscript with 'LPR'

Would ANYBODY know what is happening here.
I am unable to print a postscript file when I use the 'lpr'
command; either from the command line or from within a program
such as Mosaic, Netscape, or Ghostview. I have been able to
convert a postscript file and print it using these two commands:

'gs -sDEVICE=epson -sOutputFile=tiger.ps tiger.epson'
'cat tiger.epson > /dev/lp0'

But if I try to print a postscript file, or a converted file,
with 'lpr' my printer output is just the codes. I have an input
filter which is reffered to in my 'printcap' file. The filter is

'/usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=epson- -sOutputFile=-'

But 'lpr' still just prints codes.

Any suggestions ?

Totally bewildered,

--
   Eric Trimmer

2. system crashes when using harddisks in UDMA mode

3. It's Possible Printing Postscript Documents with lpr (linux) or print command ( windows)?

4. Of printers, distance, and Unix...

5. ASCII printing using 'lpr'

6. bindkey in xterm

7. Printer configured but won't print using lpr

8. making a route permanent (not default)

9. Can't print using lpr!

10. Printing Postscript to Epson using lpr??

11. Using a variable w/the awk '{print $}' command

12. lpr won't print

13. lpr won't print - "Unable to get official name for local machine"