XP slow mapping network samba drive

Post by Jane Richard » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 07:00:51

I have a number of XP Pro (patched to  SP 1) machines that map a Linux
samba drive. There seems to be a consistant 20 second delay in the
explorer the first time the drive is accessed. Is there a patch or
workaround for this problem?

XP slow mapping network samba drive

Post by Fester Ranci » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 07:22:10

Try comparing this drive mapping speed to mapping the drive using the IP
address of the samba server instead of it's name; if this is quicker then
you have a name resolution problem.

FR
--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action. - Goethe

Quote:> I have a number of XP Pro (patched to  SP 1) machines that map a Linux
> samba drive. There seems to be a consistant 20 second delay in the
> explorer the first time the drive is accessed. Is there a patch or
> workaround for this problem?

XP slow mapping network samba drive

Post by Jane Richard » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 07:57:08

Tried this but no luck. The same tortuous 20 second delay using the
samba server's IP. The samba version is Version
2.2.7-security-rollup-fix on Redhat 7.2.

Post by Norm Dresne » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:07:18

Quote:> I have a number of XP Pro (patched to  SP 1) machines that map a Linux
> samba drive. There seems to be a consistant 20 second delay in the
> explorer the first time the drive is accessed. Is there a patch or
> workaround for this problem?

I see similar delays mapping Windows shares from either of my Win98SE
computers on my WinXPPro box.  It's a WinXP-thing AFAICT.

    Norm