Linux box disappears from network

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've got a sporadic problem with a Linux box at work.  This machine is a
64MB AMD K6 200 with a FIC PA-2011 motherboard, Matrox Mystique video, NCR
53c875 SCSI adapter with SCSI hard drive, and a DEC Tulip-based network
card.  I'm running Red Hat 4.2, though I did briefly try upgrading to Red
Hat 5.0 and had the same problem.  (I didn't like the bugs in 5.0, and so
returned to 4.2; I had the same problem before upgrading, after upgrading,
and after returning to 4.2).  Here it is:

On occasion, my Linux box seems to "disappear" from the network.  Mainly I
notice this when I'm at home and want to transfer files via ftp, telnet in
to check my mail, or whatever.  It's as if the thing weren't physically
connected -- I try to connect but it just times out.  The box doesn't
return pings, it doesn't acknowledge telnet or ftp.  This is true both
from home (on a remote network) and at work (from other machines on the
same local network).  Other times it works fine.  When it gets like this,
it's extremely rare for it to "wake up" all by itself, but sometimes it
does.  There's nothing amiss in the logfiles.  What DOES seem to wake the
machine up is outgoing net traffic; if I set up a cron job to run on an
hourly basis, the machine is accessible for about fif* minutes at the
top of each hour, but all too often it then drops off the face of the
earth for the remaining 45 minutes.  Sometimes it stays on for days at a
time, though.

Anyhow, this is becoming an increasing annoyance and I'd like to know if
anybody's encountered anything similar, or has suggestions for what to
check to try to trace this down.  I posted about it once a couple of
months ago but got no replies.  Any ideas?

If you reply by e-mail, note the anti-spam measures in my address.  Sorry
about that....

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Post by Pat Thoyt » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> [snip]

 > On occasion, my Linux box seems to "disappear" from the network.  Mainly I
 > notice this when I'm at home and want to transfer files via ftp, telnet in
 > to check my mail, or whatever.  It's as if the thing weren't physically
 > connected -- I try to connect but it just times out.  The box doesn't
 > return pings, it doesn't acknowledge telnet or ftp.  This is true both
 > from home (on a remote network) and at work (from other machines on the
 > same local network).  Other times it works fine.  When it gets like this,
 > it's extremely rare for it to "wake up" all by itself, but sometimes it
 > does.  There's nothing amiss in the logfiles.  What DOES seem to wake the
 > machine up is outgoing net traffic; if I set up a cron job to run on an
 > hourly basis, the machine is accessible for about fif* minutes at the
 > top of each hour, but all too often it then drops off the face of the
 > earth for the remaining 45 minutes.  Sometimes it stays on for days at a
 > time, though.

Looks to me like you have some sort of power saving feature turned on
that doesn't recognise the network as something to switch on for. Check
out the power stuff in the BIOS and disable it all -- or try and find
out about the Linux support for this. (I never use it - just switched
it off in the BIOS).

--
Pat Thoyts                                Remove anti-spam to reply.
PGP Key at http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Linux box is intermittently disappearing from network

I have a Linux workstation ( RedHat 5.1 ) that usually sits at an X11
login prompt. When I try
to telnet to it after it hadn't been used in a while, half the time it
does not respond. When I
ping it I still get nothing. Then I try an hour later and it works fine.

As a test I started pinging the machine and had somebody log in with the
"reboot" password. I got
replies as soon as he logged in, and when the system rebooted the
problem went away ( for now ).

Networking otherwise works fine, but what could be causing the system to
"go to sleep" like that?

Thanks for your help
- Mark

2. Limited Broadcasting

3. Unable to keep Linux box on network - keeps "disappearing"

4. 2000linux

5. Linux box disappear with netatalk 1.3.3 and kernel 2.0.6

6. Unexplainable sleeps

7. Networking 2 win98 boxes and a linux box

8. Mouse wheel

9. Linux Box, Win98 box, Two Network cards, Now What?

10. Linux box networked with Dos Box

11. Networking x86 Box to Linux Box

12. Networking Linux box to Win 98 box

13. Trying to network a Win95 box to a linux box