pop3 problem

Post by Michael Chernyakhovsk » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

There are file `chris' in pop3d temporary directory /var/tmp/.pop

pop2d create this file when you connect to your pop3 server. But
sometimes pop3d don't delet it. And you can not connect to pop3 server,
while
this temporary file exist.
This is a pop3d bug. I had same problems with pop3d Version 1.005l.

Try other pop3 daemon. For example qpopper.
You can find it on ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/servers/unix/popper/

Quote:> i'm having a problem with the pop3d on my Linux 2.0.30 pc:

> linux:~# telnet 192.168.0.1 pop3
> Trying 192.168.0.1...
> Connected to 192.168.0.1.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> +OK linux POP3 Server (Version 1.005h) ready at <Tue Dec 30 18:21:32
1997>
> user chris
> +OK please send PASS command
> pass xxxxxxx
> -ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail/chris

> Can anyone give me a hint, please?!? The man pages aren't helpful in this
> case

pop3 problem

Post by Andre Dressle » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Michael Chernyakhovsky schrieb:

Quote:> pop2d create this file when you connect to your pop3 server. But
> sometimes pop3d don't delet it. And you can not connect to pop3 server,
> while
> this temporary file exist.
> This is a pop3d bug. I had same problems with pop3d Version 1.005l.

> Try other pop3 daemon. For example qpopper.
> You can find it on ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/servers/unix/popper/

qpopper 2.2 and 2.4 also behave like this. when observing this the
first time, i thought that something in the mail message produces the
failure, because we could reproduce this bug processing the same
message again and again. then we found, that rebooting the machine
solves the problem temporarily, until about some hundred messages
later the same thing happens again :-(. if someone knows about this,
i'd really appreciate sending me a short note.

cu, andre

--
PiN - Praesenz im Netz (TM) GIT mbH     http://www.pinserve.de

1. RH 5.0 POP3 problem

Hello,
I have a problem with RH 5.0 POP3 server: I can't connect a POP3 client and
if I look at the /var/log/secure file I read this error message:
error: cannot execute /usr/sbin/ipop3d: no such file or directory
Why there isn't this file ?? this is a fresh installation from the original
RH 5.0 CDROM, and I include sendmail suite.
I'm in trouble and any help would be appreciate.
thanks in advance

2. 164Sx => 164RX upgrade ?

3. pop3 problem with connection

4. setting up virtual printer (HP LJ 4)

5. POP3 problem

6. Wierd Compilers

7. Help! POP3 Problem.

8. Linux memory 8meg to 12meg question?

9. POP3 Problem

10. pop3 problem -ERR being read already

11. POP3 problems

12. pop3 problem

13. FreeBSD 4.0 server outside firewall POP3 problem