why samba so slow

Post by vurur » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

hello all,
I have samba 1.9.18p10 installed and seems working "nicely".

Neverthless, I see big difference speed between w95/98 boxes and
WNT workstations boxes....

NT pc are very slow...
is there some thing wrong in my smb.conf...

My smb.conf is:

[global]
workgroup = MY ORGANISATION
server string = Samba %v on (%L)
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
security = share
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
auto services = klulu
guest account = klulu
oplocks = yes
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = yes
read only = no
create mode = 0750
#
[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = yes
printable = yes
public = no
writable = no
create mode = 0700
[testus]
path = /usr
guest ok = yes

thanks for you help.

vourou

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

why samba so slow

Post by Bob Hau » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 06 Jul 2000 00:56:08 -0700, vururu

>I have samba 1.9.18p10 installed and seems working "nicely".

That's really old.  2.0.7 is current.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

why samba so slow

Post by Chris Web » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The reason your NT boxes seem so slow on Samba is because NT is so freakin'
slow.  We have a whole big mix of NT and Linux and W98, and it usually takes
45 minutes for the NT to see the linux machines.  Just the way it is because
NT is so awful.  Changing to a newer version of Samba will not matter, as I
am running 2.0.5a right now and it still takes those damn NT boxes forever.

HTH
Webb

Quote:> hello all,
> I have samba 1.9.18p10 installed and seems working "nicely".

> Neverthless, I see big difference speed between w95/98 boxes and
> WNT workstations boxes....

> NT pc are very slow...
> is there some thing wrong in my smb.conf...

> My smb.conf is:

> [global]
> workgroup = MY ORGANISATION
> server string = Samba %v on (%L)
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> load printers = yes
> security = share
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 50
> encrypt passwords = yes
> smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
> SO_SNDBUF=8192
> auto services = klulu
> guest account = klulu
> oplocks = yes
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = yes
> read only = no
> create mode = 0750
> #
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> browseable = yes
> printable = yes
> public = no
> writable = no
> create mode = 0700
> [testus]
> path = /usr
> guest ok = yes

> thanks for you help.

> vourou

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

why samba so slow

Post by Rex Diete » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

My experience is vastly different and almost contradictory.

1.  Upgrade! Use Samba 2.0 (2.0.7 is the current version).  You'll thank
yourself later.

2.  Samba 2.0 is specifically optimized for NT (it closely emulates a true
NT server), which results in better performance for NT clients (Win9x
clients will be sligthly slower).

--
Rex Dieter
Computer System Administrator

> The reason your NT boxes seem so slow on Samba is because NT is so
freakin'
> slow.  We have a whole big mix of NT and Linux and W98, and it usually
takes
> 45 minutes for the NT to see the linux machines.  Just the way it is
because
> NT is so awful.  Changing to a newer version of Samba will not matter, as
> am running 2.0.5a right now and it still takes those damn NT boxes
forever.

> HTH
> Webb

> > hello all,
> > I have samba 1.9.18p10 installed and seems working "nicely".

> > Neverthless, I see big difference speed between w95/98 boxes and
> > WNT workstations boxes....

> > NT pc are very slow...
> > is there some thing wrong in my smb.conf...

why samba so slow

Post by Ross Vandegrif » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> My experience is vastly different and almost contradictory.

So's mine ::-)

Quote:> 1.  Upgrade! Use Samba 2.0 (2.0.7 is the current version).  You'll thank
> yourself later.

I have found newer version of Samba to be about the same speed in file
transfers.  However, printing upload speed has been going downhill since
version 1.9.something.  I used to be able to shoot a file to my Cannon
bubble-jet at just slightly less than ftp speed.  Now, the upload crawls
along at about 5kb/s!

why samba so slow

Post by TheCentralScrutinizer... » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> My experience is vastly different and almost contradictory.

>So's mine ::-)

>> 1.  Upgrade! Use Samba 2.0 (2.0.7 is the current version).  You'll thank
>> yourself later.

>I have found newer version of Samba to be about the same speed in file
>transfers.  However, printing upload speed has been going downhill since
>version 1.9.something.  I used to be able to shoot a file to my Cannon
>bubble-jet at just slightly less than ftp speed.  Now, the upload crawls
>along at about 5kb/s!

I found the problem to be the windoze print spooler.  I tried an lpd
daemon on my windoze 95/osr2 box and it took less than 5 seconds to
transfer a 50MB photo, but over two hours for the lpd daemon to spool it
up.  Windoze box is a 200mhz pentium w/ 64M ram, dual scsi-2 hard drives
and a fixed defragmented 64MB swapfile on the second drive.

why samba so slow

Post by Ross Vandegrif » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I found the problem to be the windoze print spooler.  I tried an lpd
> daemon on my windoze 95/osr2 box and it took less than 5 seconds to
> transfer a 50MB photo, but over two hours for the lpd daemon to spool it
> up.  Windoze box is a 200mhz pentium w/ 64M ram, dual scsi-2 hard drives
> and a fixed defragmented 64MB swapfile on the second drive.

Cool!  Thanks for the tip!!

Ross Vandegrift

1. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

On a MS Windows NT 4.0.3 (service pack 3) computer, access through
Samba 1.9.15p8 to a Solaris 2.5 file server is slow.  Compiling
something that is on the file server's disk takes almost three
times as long as compiling the same thing on the local disk.

Solaris 1 and 2 computers do not notice such a large difference
between compiling files on local disks and files accessed through
NFS on the same file server.

Is the slowness due to the SMB protocol, Samba, or something else?

2. Help config ATI 3DExpression card

3. Samba slow on upload, fast on download. why?

4. 220 conf'ed for using /usr server

5. Slow Samba Cured by Windows reboot. Why?

6. Why is FreeBSD slow (in general) compared to windows

7. Samba Why very slow?

8. Delaying eth1 initialization

9. Samba printing slow.. very slow..

10. Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98

11. Why are slow window managers and desktops slow?

12. Why is find so slow (Re: Why use find?)

13. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow