Now, I am happy, but confused...

Post by mahir atic » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:42:09

I don't mean to give you people a heart attack, but I do have another
question.

Before that, let me ask you how many of you know anything about Audio
Galaxy. Knock! Knock! Does anybody happen to know Audio Galaxy?

Well, it is a program that lets you share and download mp3 songs. As a
matter of fact, I do have about 2500 mp3 songs in my Windows hard drive.
Since I like to keep using Linux to be familiar with it, I wanna set up
Audio Galaxy for Linux as well. It is nice to play some music in the
background as I do things on the computer. It is great that I don't have
to shuffle through any CD because every single song I like is in mp3
format and ready to listen to with the click of a mouse button.

Anyway, I downloaded Audio Galaxy for Linux. (In case you guys wanna
give it a try, this is the link http://www.audiogalaxy.com) Any song you
want. You name it. Whether old or right off the record store, you will
find any song you are looking for. Guaranteed!

Anyway, I downloaded the file. The file was double-zipped. Why the hell
is that? The first layer of zip was gz extension. The other one had tar
extension. I wanted to unzip the file, but I couldn't... because
I didn't have the program to unzip in my Linux. So,  I saved the file on
floppy, and booted up my Windows (YEAH!!!) and unzipped the file. There
were 4 files. 3 files were just text files. The other one named
"AGSatellite" didn't have any file extension. I think it is the Linux
executable file so to speak.

The installation would have been so easy in Windows simply by
double-clicking on the file. So, not knowing anything about how to
install a program in Linux, that's what I did. I kept clicking on the
file until I had sore fingers. Please, don't tell me that I have to
compile or put this file in a certain place to install Audio Galaxy.
Please, don't tell me that everything in Linux is a sort of Chinese
torture. :-)

Seriously, how do you install an application in Linux? What is the
secret?

Now, I am happy, but confused...

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:04:34

wrote at Monday 28 January 2002 08:42:

$ unzip -version
caution:  both -n and -o specified; ignoring -o
UnZip 5.42 of 14 January 2001, by Info-ZIP.  Maintained by C.

see README for details.

Latest sources and executables are at
ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ ;
see ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html for other sites.

Compiled with gcc 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE) for Unix (Linux ELF) on May
11 2001.

UnZip special compilation options:
        ASM_CRC
        COPYRIGHT_CLEAN (PKZIP 0.9x unreducing method not supported)
        LZW_CLEAN (PKZIP/Zip 1.x unshrinking method not supported)
        SET_DIR_ATTRIB
        TIMESTAMP
        USE_EF_UT_TIME
        [decryption, version 2.9 of 05 May 2000]

UnZip and ZipInfo environment options:
           UNZIP:  [none]
        UNZIPOPT:  [none]
         ZIPINFO:  [none]
      ZIPINFOOPT:  [none]

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Now, I am happy, but confused...

Post by David Goldstei » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 04:22:41

> I don't mean to give you people a heart attack, but I do have another
> question.

> Before that, let me ask you how many of you know anything about Audio
> Galaxy. Knock! Knock! Does anybody happen to know Audio Galaxy?

> Well, it is a program that lets you share and download mp3 songs. As a
> matter of fact, I do have about 2500 mp3 songs in my Windows hard drive.
> Since I like to keep using Linux to be familiar with it, I wanna set up
> Audio Galaxy for Linux as well. It is nice to play some music in the
> background as I do things on the computer. It is great that I don't have
> to shuffle through any CD because every single song I like is in mp3
> format and ready to listen to with the click of a mouse button.

  So, you are the reason that all of the musicians are starving today
;-)

Quote:> Anyway, I downloaded Audio Galaxy for Linux. (In case you guys wanna
> give it a try, this is the link http://www.audiogalaxy.com) Any song you
> want. You name it. Whether old or right off the record store, you will
> find any song you are looking for. Guaranteed!

> Anyway, I downloaded the file. The file was double-zipped. Why the hell
> is that? The first layer of zip was gz extension. The other one had tar
> extension. I wanted to unzip the file, but I couldn't... because
> I didn't have the program to unzip in my Linux. So,  I saved the file on
> floppy, and booted up my Windows (YEAH!!!) and unzipped the file. There
> were 4 files. 3 files were just text files. The other one named
> "AGSatellite" didn't have any file extension. I think it is the Linux
> executable file so to speak.

  Check the size of the g-zipped file and then the size of the tar
file.  You did not need to unzip the file, but untar the file.  I am
sure that your Linux system has this. Try this tar xfvz file.tar.gz.  It
will unzip the file, then untar the file.  Check out the -c option for
doing all of this to a specific directory.

Quote:> The installation would have been so easy in Windows simply by
> double-clicking on the file. So, not knowing anything about how to
> install a program in Linux, that's what I did. I kept clicking on the
> file until I had sore fingers. Please, don't tell me that I have to
> compile or put this file in a certain place to install Audio Galaxy.
> Please, don't tell me that everything in Linux is a sort of Chinese
> torture. :-)

   I would hardly call entering one line at the CLI prompt Chinese
torture.

Quote:> Seriously, how do you install an application in Linux? What is the
> secret?

  There is no secret.  If you download binaries, it is very simple.  If
you download source, you must compile it first.

David

Now, I am happy, but confused...

Post by Marcus Laue » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:38:08

> The installation would have been so easy in Windows simply by
> double-clicking on the file. So, not knowing anything about how to
> install a program in Linux, that's what I did. I kept clicking on the
> file until I had sore fingers. Please, don't tell me that I have to
> compile or put this file in a certain place to install Audio Galaxy.
> Please, don't tell me that everything in Linux is a sort of Chinese
> torture. :-)

> Seriously, how do you install an application in Linux? What is the
> secret?

        Isn't there a "readme" file among those three text files?  You might
try reading it for instructions...

        Also, you should try installing a program in Windows from a .zip file
sometime.  If all you know how to do is double-click things, you're in
trouble.  Basic file management is something everyone, _including_ Windows
users, needs to know!  (Don't you at least keep your documents in organized
subdirectories?)

        If you really can't do anything but double-click, at least look for a
package for your linux distro.  You might be able to install that by
double-clicking (if you're running as root... *sigh*).  Do they have .rpm or
.deb archives of audiogalaxy?

                                                            Marcus

Now, I am happy, but confused...

Post by Atic » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:35:45

>        Isn't there a "readme" file among those three text files?  You might
>try reading it for instructions...

Actually, readme file doesn't give any info about how to install the
program.

Quote:

>        Also, you should try installing a program in Windows from a .zip file
>sometime.

If you have forgotten, I am an expert Windows user. ;-) I do have a
Winzip for Windows that recognizes zip files, and many other zipped file
extensions, and upon double-clicking on a zip-file, Winzip automatically
launches and asks you where to unzip the file to.

If you like to unzip a file the old way, you can do so by exiting to
DOS. At Dos command, you run the file, "pkunzip" with corresponding
argument. If you like to unzip a file with its directories. "pkunzip -d
filename" will get the job done. ;-)

Quote:>  If all you know how to do is double-click things, you're in
>trouble.

No need to be condescending...!!! I know a lot more than double-clicking
when I am familiar with the operating system. I am very new to Linux,
and thought it would make things hell a lot easier for me if such
convenient way of doing things existed in Linux as well.

Quote:>  Basic file management is something everyone, _including_ Windows
>users, needs to know!  (Don't you at least keep your documents in organized
>subdirectories?)

Hell, I do. Having basic or expert file management in Windows operating
system doesn't help you much on what to do with zipped Linux files.
Hello...!?!?

Quote:>If you really can't do anything but double-click,

If you're gonna keep saying "if you can't do anything other than
double-clicking" in such condescending tone rather than being a bit more
understanding and constructive, I don't need your help, and don't bother
responding to my postings as there are always those who are willing to
help without putting themselves on their high horses.

Quote:>at least look for a package for your linux distro.  You might be able to install that by
>double-clicking (if you're running as root... *sigh*).

Now you're sighing as if you were never a Linux novice at some point.
Such attitude!

Quote:>Do they have .rpm or
>.deb archives of audiogalaxy?

I already installed Audio Galaxy. It is up and running. There are always
those who mean(!?) to help.

---
Los Angeles, California

Now, I am happy, but confused...

Post by Lew Pitche » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:19:44

> I don't mean to give you people a heart attack, but I do have another
> question.
[snip]
> Anyway, I downloaded the file. The file was double-zipped. Why the hell
> is that? The first layer of zip was gz extension. The other one had tar
> extension.

In that case, you're wrong; it wasn't "double-zipped". It's a gzipped
archive; ungzipping it will produce an uncompressed archive file, and
unarchiving _that_ will produce a set of files

Quote:> I wanted to unzip the file, but I couldn't... because
> I didn't have the program to unzip in my Linux.

That's unusual. Most (AFAIK, all) linux distributions come with the Gnu
Zip program (gzip/gunzip/gzcat). Most also come with the Gnu Tar program
that can automagically invoke gzip/gunzip to unzip the archive. A single
command ('tar -xzf archive.tar.gz') in a linux shell should have given
you all the files in the compressed archive.

Quote:> So,  I saved the file on
> floppy, and booted up my Windows (YEAH!!!) and unzipped the file. There
> were 4 files. 3 files were just text files. The other one named
> "AGSatellite" didn't have any file extension. I think it is the Linux
> executable file so to speak.

Well, you'll have a bit of work to find out. Since you unpacked the
archive on Windows, you lost all the Unix file permission bits,
including the 'execute' permission bits. You'll have to examine the file
now (use 'file AGSatellite') to determine if it's an ELF executable or a
shell script.

Quote:> The installation would have been so easy in Windows simply by
> double-clicking on the file. So, not knowing anything about how to
> install a program in Linux, that's what I did. I kept clicking on the
> file until I had sore fingers. Please, don't tell me that I have to
> compile or put this file in a certain place to install Audio Galaxy.
> Please, don't tell me that everything in Linux is a sort of Chinese
> torture. :-)

I have no idea how to install "Audio Galaxy"; I don't use it and have
never installed it.
However, had you unpacked the archive correctly in Linux, it would have
been easier for you to install the package. Likely one of those "text
files" was an install script or a README file. You haven't given us
enough details to tell you what you _should have_ done, but since you
chose to mess the install process up yourself, I'm not surprised that it
was difficult to install.

Quote:> Seriously, how do you install an application in Linux? What is the secret?

No secret. Use the proper tools and follow the directions. It's that
simple.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered (Slackware) Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)

Now, I am happy, but confused...

Post by Mohi » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 15:08:08

> > I don't mean to give you people a heart attack, but I do have another
> > question.
>  [snip]
> > Anyway, I downloaded the file. The file was double-zipped. Why the hell
> > is that? The first layer of zip was gz extension. The other one had tar
> > extension.

> In that case, you're wrong; it wasn't "double-zipped". It's a gzipped
> archive; ungzipping it will produce an uncompressed archive file, and
> unarchiving _that_ will produce a set of files

> > I wanted to unzip the file, but I couldn't... because
> > I didn't have the program to unzip in my Linux.

> That's unusual. Most (AFAIK, all) linux distributions come with the Gnu
> Zip program (gzip/gunzip/gzcat). Most also come with the Gnu Tar program
> that can automagically invoke gzip/gunzip to unzip the archive. A single
> command ('tar -xzf archive.tar.gz') in a linux shell should have given
> you all the files in the compressed archive.

> > So,  I saved the file on
> > floppy, and booted up my Windows (YEAH!!!) and unzipped the file. There
> > were 4 files. 3 files were just text files. The other one named
> > "AGSatellite" didn't have any file extension. I think it is the Linux
> > executable file so to speak.

> Well, you'll have a bit of work to find out. Since you unpacked the
> archive on Windows, you lost all the Unix file permission bits,
> including the 'execute' permission bits. You'll have to examine the file
> now (use 'file AGSatellite') to determine if it's an ELF executable or a
> shell script.

> > The installation would have been so easy in Windows simply by
> > double-clicking on the file. So, not knowing anything about how to
> > install a program in Linux, that's what I did. I kept clicking on the
> > file until I had sore fingers. Please, don't tell me that I have to
> > compile or put this file in a certain place to install Audio Galaxy.
> > Please, don't tell me that everything in Linux is a sort of Chinese
> > torture. :-)

> I have no idea how to install "Audio Galaxy"; I don't use it and have
> never installed it.
> However, had you unpacked the archive correctly in Linux, it would have
> been easier for you to install the package. Likely one of those "text
> files" was an install script or a README file. You haven't given us
> enough details to tell you what you _should have_ done, but since you
> chose to mess the install process up yourself, I'm not surprised that it
> was difficult to install.

> > Seriously, how do you install an application in Linux? What is the secret?

> No secret. Use the proper tools and follow the directions. It's that
> simple.

Hi,

It's kind of a very stupid question. First of all how can U unzip the
tar file in Windows. U are doing something silly.

U should use "gzip -d" and the "tar -xvf" to extract the file
completely.And then see the README doc which will be provided by the
co. If not then first search for the executable in the path where U
have extratcted the files if the executable is not provided then see
the folder go to install or setup folder and then see the Makefile. U
should have knowledge of make file. If yes then compile it and you'll
get the executable and U have a program.

I hope this soulves your problem.

Mohit Anchlia