Inetd

Post by Thomas Hei » Tue, 08 May 2001 17:59:57

Hi all there,

I ve got a * problem. I have a Server and when I use them some times he
exits with
tcp server failling. loop detected, terminated. Its my imap Server.

Please help
Thomas

Inetd

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 08 May 2001 19:13:00

Hi Thomas,

Quote:> I ve got a * problem. I have a Server and when I use them some times he
> exits with tcp server failling. loop detected, terminated. Its my imap
> Server.

The inetd man page says the following on the looping issue:

"service/protocol: Server failing (looping), service terminated.

When inetd tries to start 40 servers within 60 seconds for a datagram service,
other than bootp, rpc, or tftp, it assumes that the server is failing to
handle the connection. To avoid entering a potentially infinite loop, inetd
issues this message, discards the packet requesting the socket connection, and
refuses further connections for this service. After 10 minutes, inetd tries to
reinstate the service, and once again accepts connections for the service."

Does your /etc/inetd.conf line look like this for your imap server ?

imap    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  imapd

Of course the /usr/sbin/tcpd is tcp wrappers in my case and the server is
called "imapd" but apart from that, does your line look like this ?

Is it possible that the client can put the imap server into a loop.  What imap
server and version are you using ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Q inetd/sockets: how to run my daemon from inetd???

Hi all,

I  wrote  this  really  insignificant program that listens on a port and
writes  a fortune message down the socket, and now I want to run it from
inetd.  So  I  made  entries in /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services and it
doesn't work.

The  problem  is I guess that I my daemon creates a socket and listen on
it,  then  accepts connections, does its thing and exits. However, inetd
is  listening  on  that  port and execl()'s my fortuned which then finds
the socket in use already and dies on a failed bind.

So  how  can  I  make it so that it knows which file descriptors it gets
from  inetd?  Or,  should  I  rather  have  it run in the background and
fork()  to serve every connection without ever exiting?

Bo.

--
        "Heisenberg may have been here".

2. Authentication

3. multiple inetd spawning from an inetd

4. Event Driven Lex

5. Restart inetd or reboot without using console...when inetd is dead

6. install v5.0 on PCI

7. troubles with inetd / inetd.conf

8. Forte "no room"

9. Entries in inetd.conf force inetd to start processes even when the corresponding protocol is not used?

10. inetd question

11. inetd and ssh

12. Inetd Configuration Question

13. Inetd dies