YPBIND in RedHat ??

Post by roo » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I just installed redhat 4.1 for the first time ever.  When I looked to start
up ypbind, the binary wasnt there.  It has yppoll, yppush, ypserv, and ypset,
but no ypbind.  Anyone know the secret to configuring and starting ypbind on
redhat?  Are there some coherent docs that describe setting it up.  According
to the man pages, you use ypbind.

thanks,
        drex

YPBIND in RedHat ??

Post by James Hall & Sara Roune » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I just installed redhat 4.1 for the first time ever.  When I looked to start
> up ypbind, the binary wasnt there.  It has yppoll, yppush, ypserv, and ypset,
> but no ypbind.  Anyone know the secret to configuring and starting ypbind on
> redhat?  Are there some coherent docs that describe setting it up.  According
> to the man pages, you use ypbind.

I think the NIS Howto describes this.  Or, if you bought the Redhat
distribution rather than downloading it, you can: (1) Check the manual
that came with it ... there's a section there on how to do it, or (2)
Start your email support.

Basically, you do not use ypbind with Redhat.  The NIS client code is
already included in libc.  Just define an /etc/yp.conf that describes
your NIS domain and the YP server, make sure "nis" appears in the
"passwd" and "group" entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf, and you're off.

                -- Henry Spencer

YPBIND in RedHat ??

Post by Darryl Bon » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Basically, you do not use ypbind with Redhat.  The NIS client code is
> already included in libc.  Just define an /etc/yp.conf that describes
> your NIS domain and the YP server, make sure "nis" appears in the
> "passwd" and "group" entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf, and you're off.

And works very well too. I used to find ( with ypbind) that if the
ypserver could not be reached then the machine would not continue past
ypbind on boot. This made it impossible to even log in to kill ypbind.
the libc NYS support is brilliant. The NIS server is polled only on a
service request.
I am on a NIS+ system without DNS so I cannot use the NIS+ support which
works for everything except hosts table access....PITY!

                                Darryl Bond

YPBIND in RedHat ??

Post by Chan Shih-Pi » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>And works very well too. I used to find ( with ypbind) that if the
>ypserver could not be reached then the machine would not continue past
>ypbind on boot. This made it impossible to even log in to kill ypbind.
>the libc NYS support is brilliant. The NIS server is polled only on a
>service request.
>I am on a NIS+ system without DNS so I cannot use the NIS+ support which
>works for everything except hosts table access....PITY!

>                            Darryl Bond

Is such libc NYS support now automatic in new libc binaries like
libc-5.4.2X.bin.tar.gz available on sunsite or is this a RedHat-ism?

--
Chan Shih-Ping

Tel:    +65 772 3343            | Department of Mathematics
Fax:    +65 779 5452            | 10 Kent Ridge Crescent 119260
                                | Singapore

YPBIND in RedHat ??

Post by Thorsten Kuk » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: >

: > Basically, you do not use ypbind with Redhat.  The NIS client code is
: > already included in libc.  Just define an /etc/yp.conf that describes
: > your NIS domain and the YP server, make sure "nis" appears in the
: > "passwd" and "group" entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf, and you're off.
: >
: And works very well too. I used to find ( with ypbind) that if the
: ypserver could not be reached then the machine would not continue past
: ypbind on boot. This made it impossible to even log in to kill ypbind.
: the libc NYS support is brilliant. The NIS server is polled only on a
: service request.
: I am on a NIS+ system without DNS so I cannot use the NIS+ support which
: works for everything except hosts table access....PITY!

Use a newer libc. I have implemented the hosts table access for NYS.

  Thorsten

--

                http://www-vt.uni-paderborn.de/~kukuk
Linux is like a Vorlon.  It is incredibly powerful, gives terse,

1. ypbind ypbind ypbind ypbind ypbind - HELP?

I posted a message earlier about this topic and finally got it to work, but
now there's another small but very annoying problem with it.

I have linux on a 486-50 with a 3com 3c503 with 16M ram.

First:  I have no problems with NIS now.

The problem is that after I start up ypbind and get it connected to the NIS
server, it continuously fills up the syslog with the following message:

   broadcast: RPC: Unable to receive ( Network unreachable )

After turning off the syslogd, I new get these all over my screen.  What's
strange is that everything works great - except this error message.  Another
thing I noticed is that when I do an 'ifconfig', the HW addr is all 0's.
I cant figure out why the network stuff is up and running yet the HW addr is
messed up and the ypbind daemon is acting up...

I did select the correct net driver and recompiled the kernel, which did not
help.  Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanx,

Al

2. Voodoo3 DRI/DRM kernel module problems

3. New HOWTO....HOWTO-Hose-RedHat-Installation (help!)

4. gcc problems

5. Redhat ypbind question

6. Linux and 4 modems using 16550A

7. nis, ypbind on RedHat 8 driving me nuts

8. Netscape Weird built-in message?

9. No "ypbind" in RedHat-4.1?

10. No ypbind in RedHat 4.2 yp-clients?

11. NIS ypbind problem Redhat 6.1

12. Redhat 6.2 and NIS/ypbind ping problems

13. Troubles with ypbind in RedHat 7.1