netgear fa311

Post by Ron Gof » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone had any luck getting this card to work on a linux system?

netgear fa311

Post by smi.. » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

My cards are working great with the Tulip modulethat comes with RH 7.0

Quote:> Has anyone had any luck getting this card to work on a linux system?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

netgear fa311

Post by Donald Beck » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>Has anyone had any luck getting this card to work on a linux system?

My independently written driver at
   http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
works better for most people.

--

Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210               Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations

netgear fa311

Post by t.. » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

: My independently written driver at
:    http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
: works better for most people.

I agree totally. I couldn't get anythign else to work. As soon
as I installed Donald's driver my whole world started looking
a little brighter and my NICs started to work! :)

netgear fa311

Post by son.. » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I actually got Netgear's Fa311.o to work.

But I credit Mr. Becker also for this, he pointed (at his website) out
some odd header file placement in Red Hat 7.0 that was preventing most
of his driver source files from compiling.

If anyone needs a working fa311.o file compiled under Red Hat 7.0

> : My independently written driver at
> :    http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> : works better for most people.

> I agree totally. I couldn't get anythign else to work. As soon
> as I installed Donald's driver my whole world started looking
> a little brighter and my NICs started to work! :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

netgear fa311

Post by Kryliss Norwin » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The FA311 is a software based NIC.. works great under windows but not so
good under linux... the 310 is a good stable hardware based NIC with little
to no CPU overhead.

> >My independently written driver at
> >   http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> >works better for most people.

> How does this card compare to the fa310, which used a tulip(-like) chip?
> Others have said that the natsemi chip in the fa311 is similar to
> a winmodem in that the host CPU does more work, and thus the 311 doesn't
> run as fast as the 310.

> Thanks,
> Doug Steves

1. Network driver question for netgear FA311

How can I 'force' Solaris to use a particular network driver.
I want to use a Netgear FA311 card in a x86 Solaris 8 box. AnswerBook 2
describes this card as a generic 'dnet' driven card.
I think that I have all the right drivers (/kernel/drv/dnet & dnet.conf),
but if I try to add the interface with
'ifconfig dnet0 plumb 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up'
I get a 'bad file number' failure.
What is the file number.?
what might I need to change / add to the dnet.conf file.
What am I doing wrong.?

2. Linux and a Sygate

3. NetGear FA311 ethernet card and RH7

4. _findfirst equivalent

5. RH 7.1 doesn't recognize NetGear FA311 card

6. monitor sync frequency

7. A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

8. Positional Parameters in ksh

9. Problems with Natsemi.c (Netgear FA311) and Alpha?

10. Netgear FA311 Ethernet card

11. Debian - Looking for driver for NetGear FA311

12. Two Netgear FA311 NICs, one crossover cable, and no networking!

13. netgear FA311 driver?