Proxy arp (how to add an arp entry)

Post by Pete Bre » Thu, 09 May 2002 18:19:00

I am trying to use proxy arp to isolate a portion of a network to reduce
traffic. When I use the arp program with the following syntax to add an entry

arp -v -i eth0 -s {IP address} {Mac address} pub

and then look at the arp table, the flags against this new entry are MP (no C
flag to indicate that the entry is complete). The HWtype and HWaddress columns
both have * in them. If I try to ping {IP address} from another machine whilst
watching the arp traffic with tcpdump, I see the arp requests, but no arp